Endless Space 2

I think ownership recovery is related to how quickly you ‘own’ a planet after an invasion. Ownership is effectively an approval multiplier, I think, so newly conquered cities will hate you no matter how many approval bonuses you have.

(And I only know this because “ownership recovery” was a term used in Endless Legend for this mechanic).

I miss the Civilopedia when playing this kind of game. Having a centralized place to go look stuff up is really helpful, especially if context-enabled (i.e. press F1 and up pops the entry for whatever screen you’re on). Tooltips and the Internet just don’t quite fill the same function.

I’m encountering a couple of bugs today - fleets on the map that aren’t listed on the military screen, and ships that blow up in the combat video that miraculously reappear (with a health of 1) post-combat.

I am have a star system that had a dilation singularity placed on it. Basically everything is halved. There is no indication of how long this will last. Is there some way to remove it?

I remember seeing a tech in the Science and Discovery field (pretty sure) that nullified the negative effects from anomalies.

This wasn’t an anomaly. It was something placed by an enemy. It did eventually go away, although I have no idea if it was just active for X turns or the AI who placed it decided to not pay some kind of maintenance cost.

This game has a lot of little systems / mechanics and much of it is poorly or not explained. Also the tutorial gets stuck all the time.

If I’m not mistaken, the time dilation is one of the unique powers of the Riftborn faction. (They can also speed up time in a system for opposite, positive effects.)

Ah, yeah it sure is, I didn’t read @DeepT question closely enough. In my game I can this as well and (at least at the start) the effect lasts 10 turns.

I think most reviewers are either bad at strategy games, or just want a game where the AI rolls over as they pursue their inevitable victory. Does anyone else have a glimmer of whether the AI is a moron yet? I don’t mean “this one time it did something that might have been kinda clever but was almost certainly random chance”, I mean does the AI pursue victory objectives, try to defeat the player and each other etc.

More bugs. I am on a crusade to report as many as possible. This time it’s the Workers Camp improvement failing to actually build when you build it. So you can build it over and over without gain. Arggh.

Currently I see a warning that an unknown AI is going to win the game in X turns. I have no idea who or what the AI is doing to win, so I guess it is doing something right.

Does anyone know what influences the diplomacy bar? The top one that affects how expensive / likely to succeed (I presume) some kind of diplomatic request is? All mine in in the deep red, meaning nearly everything I would want to do will be rejected without massive bribes.

IE: The rift born who are near me and were not at war with me, when I wanted a peace treaty (they are supposed to be peaceful, right?) wanted like 3000 dust and 3000 manpower.

I think it’s influence generation and military strength, but I think that’s separate to their opinion of you which determines how expensive things are. The Rift Born I first met felt similarly about me, but warmed up after a few turns of not fighting. Meanwhile the Sophons I stole a colony from early on are still grumpy at me 100 turns later.

What are those nerds gonna do about it, theory you to death?

I can’t speak to this game yet, but the AI in Endless Legend was good at winning the game. In particular, it was really good at getting diplomatic victories. Whenever I played against that Dragon race, you would need to attack them, or their allies before too long to retard their diplomatic progress.

It’s still too early for me to tell, but when I was nearing an Economic victory, one of my neighbors (who I had OK relations with until then), started getting more and more aggressive the closer I got. He eventually declared war on me, which I think was an attempt to slow me down.

He was able to put pressure on me and take one of my systems, but please keep in mind that it was my first full game and so I’m still figuring things out. So while I can’t say how good the AI is in general, I can at least say that they know how to lump a fleet together and initiate an attack on a planet (which is sadly more than I can say for some other strategy games).

In my first initial game which I abandoned, one of the AIs (the trade oriented race) was nearing an Economic victory, so it seemed to be pursuing something.

That’s really all I have right now. It’s not much of a sample size, but I could tell the AI in Civ was abysmally bad by this stage.

One early bad sign would be if you keep seeing things like “well, it was my first game and I didn’t really know what I was doing, but I won anyway somehow”. In a new strategy game where you don’t know the ropes and the AI does, you should expect to get absolutely smoked by it if the AI is competent. Something to keep an eye on.

I am beginning to think that the reason these* games get such good ratings is that they effectively have a new Chick Parabola for each race, and reviewers have so much fun climbing each that they do not notice that their opposition isn’t actually doing anything.

*asymmetric 4x games or ones with asymmetric win conditions

This may be a bad sign for the AI. So I am playing the science guys and my neighbor starts making threatening noises so I research some basic military techs, since I had none. I only did tier 2 techs. I got some military hull types and just threw on a few slug throwers, shields (the most basic kind) and some armor. So I make 5 of these ships and send them to the system that is on the border to the other empire.

So then they declare war, and they send in stack of 14 ships and I guess, oh well, I am boned. I should have made more ships. So his fleet attacks my fleet, the power measure in the game is far in the AI’s favor. And the result is a stale-mate…
Actually that isn’t true because that is simply what the game told me. What really happened is that my ships got a tiny bit of damage and the AI ships were over half dead.

The next turn round 2, again my ships only have minor damage, but a bunch of the AI fleet dies. By round 5, the AI fleet was gone.

My best guess is that the AI got the most basic ship design, and then built a bunch of those. In Civ terms, his warriors attacked my swordsmen and got trounced. This is not good.

However it might be a bug, not bad AI. The reason I say this is because that strength comparison given to me showed that the AI was clearly, far stronger than I was. If the AI was relying on this measure, then its tactics made sense.

I just got an hilarious bug wherein I got diplomatic messages from the same race about once a second for several minutes. Over and over. Got it on video too.

I saw that about 5 times in a game. No one ever won, even though the “victory” was only 4 turns away every time and the game went on for over 30 more during that time.

Yeah that was the thing I was talking about. The first upgrade did… nothing as far as I could tell. The ownership might as well be in some dead language. At least the influence bonus makes sense, though nothing else does there and I can sort of guess at Political Output.