Endless Space 2

Ran into another bug nearly 200 turns into my latest game. The AI is invading one of my systems and the ground battle pops up endlessly. I don’t really care about the system, and tried selecting all the various options including Surrender. But it just keeps popping up fight dialogs, saying I lost, pop up another dialog, repeat. Tried saving then reloading, no luck. Going back to a prior save isn’t really feasible, as I’d have to go back far enough to be in a position to avoid the ground invasion. Guess it’s a lost cause.

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe this is the same “pending” end turn bug. If the fight had been between two AIs instead of including me, I bet I’d have just seen an endless “pending” state while the game looped through the battle.

In the original Endless Space game, I’m finding the fonts too small. Squinting at a screen is not really conducive to learning how to play the game. Is there any way to resolve this situation without having to change my laptop resolution every time I play?

Okay, for the first time I really want to change the makeup of my flotillas before battle. Tutorial tells me it’s drag and drop, but I’m dragging with with a left click and nothing happens, I’m dragging with a right click and the screen closes.

I see a button at the bottom to “toggle the locking state of all ships” which the tutorial does not mention, but I figure maybe they just forgot. But it does nothing that I can see, and I cannot even see whether the button is on or off at any given moment.

The sorting buttons also change nothing.

This game is really annoying me.

I’ve learned through trial and error that:

1. You can’t drag and drop on the pop-up battle screen. You have to go into the Advanced screen.
  2. You have to leave at least one ship in the central zone.
  3. You can’t drag into a zone you don’t have unlocked (which happens based on how many command points you have). This one isn’t too bad since your tactic card does show the locked zones.
  4. As with damn near everything in this game, the UI is really finicky. You have to hit the center of the ship, which can be a pain with those tiny small ones. Make sure you drop in the center of a zone, not near the edges. And even if you do it all right, sometimes it just doesn’t work and you have to try again.

I’ve given up for now. There are other games in a playable state. I’ll try again in a few weeks after a few more patches.

I think I’m okay on 1,2,and 3, so I’m guessing #4 was the problem. It would make sense. I’ll try that in my next significant battle.

Thanks!

Does anyone understand the unfallen’s vine entangle mechanic for captured systems? When you capture a system, on that turn it shows that it is entangled. After that turn the vines disappear. I assumed this was a graphical glitch, but then I tried to entangle a nearby system and it would not let me, saying there were no vines nearby to do so. This meant the captured system was NOT actually entangled. If you move a vine ship to the system, the entangle icon is lit up. However, every turn it becomes deselected and vines will never grow to the neighboring system.

The question is, what are you supposed to do? Is this a bug, working as designed? Is there some tech that enables the entanglement of captured systems?

I played through a whole game with the game a couple of patches ago, and I don’t remember having an issue with disappearing vines. Sounds like a bug.

I am seeing the vines getting reset on a taken system as well, though I was chalking it up to hostile ships coming in each turn. I haven’t had two consecutive turns yet where I didn’t have to chase off an enemy ship.

Devs posted an apology yesterday.

Interesting to see ES2 has game breaking bugs, and still has done better than GalCiv3 in early Steam reviews.

The thing is, if the game wasn’t as well designed and fun to play as it is, the bugs wouldn’t have bothered me as much. I’ve played two games, and in both of them I had a great time right from the start until I got that nasty endless turn/never battle bug that everyone else got. I was able to get back into them after the fix, though.

Just found a good use for influence. I was forced to accept a treaty because I didn’t have the influence to reject their peace proposal. I just had one more system to conquer.

To be fair, the only game-breaker seems to be the endless pending-turn ground-battle issue. Which is crazy bad if it bites you, but if you’re lucky enough not to hit it then the game plays fine. There’s little annoyances as well, though, some of which have been mentioned above (like drag-and-drop weirdness in fleet battles, and strange fleet selection behavior on the big map). Combine those with the possibility of a dead game from the one big bug, and it’s enough to make me shelve it for a while until more patches come out.

Yeah, the only reason I’m not playing tons of Endless Space 2 right now is that I’d rather wait for a patch that fixes those critical bugs. I’ve waited months, I can wait a few more days/weeks. Even more so with the TONS of games I have available to play right now. :)

I have given up on my unfallen campaign (again). The inability to entangle captured systems pretty much is a dead end until fixed. I really like ES, but amount of bugs is really starting to bother me. Id play something else, but there isn’t anything out that I want to play right now. My wishlist is full of EA titles that look interesting, but I want to hold off on them until they are done.

For a regular outpost, what does spending influence do? If I spend cash, the turns to colonize number is reduced. But nothing seems to change when I click the purple tab instead of the yellow one.

I believe it increases the rate at which population on your established colonies migrates to the new colony.

So the outpost day counter doesn’t take into account the logistics shipments? Okay.

Yep. Because those ships can be intercepted and destroyed, either by other factions or pirates. But I think when the ships read the outpost, it bumps up the progress.

I’m one of the lucky ones: I’ve never had the dreaded bug that halts play. I’ve been playing ES2 every evening since it released.

@DeepT, My Unfallen are now at war, so I’ll report if I have any more success than you with the vines after conquering an enemy planet. The easiest pickings, though, are in a different constellation, so I’m guessing I won’t be able to vine it even if I conquer the planet, since I don’t seem to be able to vine to other constellations even in peacetime. In your case: was the captured system in the same constellation as your network? Is your captured system connected to your network by starlanes? Also, were there any enemy forces in or near the enemy system, or in or near the starlane between the captured system and your vine network? Is there any enemy influence ring near the newly-captured system? (E.g., an enemy influence ring that overlaps the starlane between the system and your vine network? I’ve noticed that even traveling through such an overlapping ring can trigger diplomatic responses, so maybe they also disrupt vining?)

Sorry to pepper you with questions!