Endzone : AWP (No football, lots of drought and radiation.)

So I grabbed a Steam key for this over at gamersgate while their current end of summer sale is going on (44% off, yep its in early access). It’s also on sale direct from Steam:

Really enjoyed the time I spent with this today, the tutorial is really well set up and explains a good 75% of the game. I still have a bunch of stuff never researched by the time it ended.

You start off with a bus:

And then build your way up to this, look at this awesome city:

Oh , umm sorry, sandstorm… :(

Here we go:

This game sorta feels like a spiritual successor to the settlement building portion of Fallout 4, minus Preston Garvey. :)

You can tell the developers are making something pretty special here, even if they are a bit set in their ways looking at their forum responses to some suggestions on Steam.

All in all they have a vision in place and are pretty much sticking to it, they did add a new kitchen building to help out newbies, but I don’t think it is needed if you played the tutorial for (whoa I played the tutorial for 4.7 hrs, lol).

Well anyway, it’s very informative and gets you up to speed for the sandbox that awaits you. I am giving this a thumbs up even while in early access!

Roadmap of development so far :

Looking through the Steam reviews quickly, common complaint is that it has the same flaws as Banished. Is that fair?

I ended up refunding Banished, as I hated the blandness of its setting. So I only played it like 30 minutes or so.

I will say that this game has a bunch of endgame stuff being added , the expeditions are really well done, and I can see them having a decent endgame goal, I am guessing probably a wonder or monument of some kind to build.

If they stick to their monthly updates plan, there are at least 7 more to come, before it hits a year of early access development.

If I were to say how the game feels right now today, I’d call it a really polished beta, with more stuff being added every month.

It looks like They Are Billions, except without the billions.

Yep, its disaster survival focused, radiation and severe drought are your enemies.

Wishlisted. I’ll follow this thread as well for developments. The fact that you don’t like banished and like this is a plus. It’s not that I hated banished, but it was pretty simplistic. I don’t play EA titles generally.

I own Surviving the Aftermath but am jonesing to get this too. Has anyone played both? It would be interesting to be able to compare the two.

Update 7:

Update 8 , also on sale for 25% off, not a great discount like a few months ago.

Roadmap update:

Traders arrive via hot air balloon, which pleases me.

ezgif-2-4dc128bcdda9

Also the update video:

Update 9 … The Livestock update! And 35% off sale @ Fanatical.

@jpinard I saw you play recently, how are you liking it?

I just booted it up briefly to take it to the top of my queue… to remind me to play it :)

It’s next on my list after I finish Disco Elysium, so will post thoughts when I do.

The tutorial wants me to make a orchard, except it won’t let me. What do I do?

Don’t click and drag. Click, release mouse button, move it 5x5 or 3x7 away and then click again. Also, you might be clicking in a space it can’t be placed. Make sure there’s decent moisture there. ie near the lake.

Thanks, but it wouldn’t let me click and drag. When I turned on the moisture overlay, they whole map was orange (dry?). It did the same thing with the farm earlier, but the map was green/blue then. It wouldn’t let me do anything for several minutes, and suddenly I could. With the orchard, even after waiting, it wouldn’t let me do anything.

While it looks promising, the game still feels pretty rough.

Depends on the weather gotta watch the forecast scroller at the bottom of the screen when you have the weather station built. Also you eventually get irrigation buildings that can water the land, see:

Currently in a dry spell, but the irrigation buildings are doing their job.

The click and release then drag and click again method of zoning is the same for dirt and stone roads. Weird developer quirk I guess.

Ok thanks, but this is the tutorial. There wasn’t any irrigation or weather stations yet. I was just following the steps. It said to build the orchard, but it wouldn’t let me plot it.

Ah ok , well enjoy. You have a lot to learn and experience.

I don’t understand that. I can’t even find a single bug post on that anywhere on the net. One thing that is extremely hard to see, is that first click might not be in a viable spot due to rocks or permanent debris. There’s a slight color change under the cursor for viable vs. not.

You’re not using a left handed mouse per-chance are you (reversed buttons)? Should matter, but you never know.

I am pretty confused by it as well. No abnormal mouse set up or anything. It did the same thing making the first farm, it wouldn’t let me place it, and then it suddenly worked after randomly clicking for 30 seconds. I’ll give it another go something this week and see how it goes.