Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Journey comes to an end and FF6 is dancing mad, as StarCraft and Super Mario Galaxy advance.

Nex vs Necrodancer, AAARGH! You mean. I love both of these tracks, although I love Nex a bit more because, like Armando, I love the darkness. Plus, the section from 2:28 to 3:15 is my favourite slab of musical bliss in this entire competition.

The Nex Machina track has been an unusually slow grower for me, despite loving electronic music and synthwave. Fire Caverns does have a massive, dark and cavernous kinetic sound which seems perfect for a twin-stick shooter like Nex Machina (and, I suspect, the level).

That said, the groove of Disco Descent is enough to get your reanimated shuffle on. I love the bit from 0:00-3:00 :-) But seriously 1:12-1:48, it always gets me.

Tough choice with Caprice and Zanarkand. They’re both beautiful pieces but I love the patter and understated movements in Caprice. It’s very soothing.

I meant to comment on the previous matches too. I’ve struggled with that Journey track despite recognising how heartfelt it sounds. I hear the beautiful main theme peeking through every now and then on the cello, catching glimpses of other interesting passages but a lot of it just passes me by in a blur that I struggle to recall. It probably doesn’t help that I didn’t get much from the game emotionally like a lot of people did! I bounced off Journey pretty hard.

However, I bounced off Starcraft too but that Terran tune is weirdly atmospheric and rocking in a cheesy 90s way. All kinds of hooks and grooves in there.

Dancing Mad is terrific and epic but Gusty Garden Galaxy is an all time favourite so… yeah. I wouldn’t have been unhappy to see it go through!

Crypt of the Necrodancer and Morrowind advance.

Final matches of the round!

Match 47:

• Smash Bros.
  • Civilization IV

0 voters

Match 48:

• Metroid Prime
  • DooM

0 voters

Fountain of Dreams, I- I’m sorry…

First Monty, then Morrowind

Not even to something … not generic Elder Scrolls

Doom failing to beat Metroid Prime?

Revenge

This was posted on my wall this morning, thought it was fairly related:

The Doom Slayer will not be happy!

I was listening to bits from the Metroid soundtracks earlier this week and while Phendrana Drifts holds a special place in my heart (and anyone who’s played the game for that matter), there’s other tracks I prefer from the Prime series and indeed Super Metroid. That’s not why I didn’t vote for it – I just adore BFG Division – but it was interesting going over the soundtracks with fresh ears, so to speak. Such evocative scores.

Gah, that Smash track is great and I love that it’s a 30 minute version so I can just leave it looping on joyous and triumphantly. It pains me to vote it out.

We are no longer internet friends. ;)

Love is pain. Or something. Have you no heart? Fountain of Dreams is a delight!

We were never friends kosc, only enemies ;-)

I mean I’m no longer internet friends with anyone who voted for Monty either, so…

Couldn’t agree more, do it all the time!

Me too! I’m listening to Redout RIGHT NOW. :)

I’ve talked about http://www.radiosega.net about a zillion times on these boards. It’s great listening while you’re working.

Civilization IV and Metroid Prime advance, and we begin the round of 16, with 7/8 of the original entrants having been eliminated.

Match 49:

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Interstate '76

0 voters

Match 50:

• Brigador
  • Baldur’s Gate

0 voters

I’m sorry, Brigador… Anyone else left, I’d choose you