Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

YU-NO and Donkey Kong Country.

I was completely serious before when I said YU-NO has some of the best music we’ll see in this thread, and I’ll be sad to see it miss the cut after just one round. The game itself is a top-notch visual novel from an era when that meant “text-heavy point-and-click adventure,” and even though it has some odd quirks that I feel don’t hold up well 22 years after the game’s initial release, I’d still gladly play it again today.

Donkey Kong Country’s jungle theme needs no introduction and is an easy in for me. My only question: why not Aquatic Ambience?

Even though I bet all of us could sing/whistle it right now, no one choose the Super Mario music.

Probably seen as too obvious.

This is only round 1, right? I have lots more I want to nominate, and believe it or not they aren’t all C64/Amiga chiptunes…

You’re right, I don’t believe it ;)

Gusty Garden from Mario Galaxy got tabbed, but that was it. Similarly no classic Metroid songs, though I nominated a Metroid Prime one. It seems more focus was put on more modern entries, with the exception of oddball people who put Amiga music on there. I really don’t know what those people were thinking ;)

The other thing is that this is a competition, rather than just favorites. It feels like a dick move to comment on somebody’s “favorite”, but here, almost everything is going to lose, so it’s okay to discuss and have differing opinions.

Hey!! SwIV came 3rd out of 4 in the first round. I’m this close to being vindicated!

SwIV was a legit contender. The Amiga will be vindicated. Oh yes, it will.

No group D today?

I would put it up myself, but this is @Thraeg’s baby. However if he is ok with it, in the future, I can also put up groups at the appropriate time. I mean it’s gonna take two months already, don’t want to add too many days ;)

Yu No and The Last Express

214 new replies and I didn’t even get my own I tried in yet!

Right, weekdays only.

This works well for me because I give them a good listening to at work. Weekends can be busy!

Same for me too. I know a lot of folks have weekends free but I’m either gaming or on the TV, not on the forums nearly as much.

Yeah, that was my thought. People often travel or have all-day activities on the weekends, but weekdays are a bit more predictable to do something at the same time every day.

I was holding back a bit. If we do this again, I might go full weeaboo.

Don’t make me call Woodlance.

Group C Results

Advancing

• Donkey Kong Country: 17
  • Last Express: 13

Eliminated:

• Yu-No: 10
  • Jet Grind Radio: 9

Group D

Wolfenstein The New Order Main Menu Theme - anonymgeist

Skyrim: The Song of the Dragonborn - Telefrog

Breath Of Fire IV Music ~ Opening Animation - Nesrie

THE WOLF AMONG US - Intro Credits & Theme - lordkosc

Wolfenstein: The New Order and Skyrim for me.