Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Age of Wonders 3 and Emperor of the Fading Suns are my votes.

Anyone who DOESN’T vote for EoFS is on my Dunzo List.

Wonders of the Fading Suns

Age of Wonders 3 and Emperor of the Fading Suns.

Age of Wonders 3 and Republic: The Revolution

I kept waiting for Rocket Jockey to take off, like a Ventures song, and it never did, but I’m still giving it a nod because it was doing something original. And along with it, Republic, with that Soviet somberness.

Rocket Jockey and Republic

Mostly because the other two felt like the kinda moody music that deliberately and intentionally tried not to stand out too much, the kind of track that plays repeatedly over a long playthrough so needs to not be grabbing your attention, so as not to start annoying you through repetition.

It is NOT.

Rocket Jockey and Emperor of the Fading Suns.

What are the odds that TWO SegaSoft games would end up in the same part of the bracket?! That’s crazy!

Age of Wonders and Fading Suns

Age of Wonders 3 and Republic: The Revolution

NieR: Automata
Chrono Cross

Age of Wonders 3
Emperor of the Fading Suns

Missed yesterday’s vote, booo! I think I would have voted for Smash Bros. and… IK. Or Chrono Cross. Not sure. My first thought was, oh, huh, that IK tune reminds me of a trance track called Heart of Asia, I wonder if it cribbed the C64 tune? It wouldn’t have been the first time a C64 tune became a floor-filler afterall. On further investigation however, it seems both pieces of music are indebted to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, which I’d not heard of before – a wonderful melody. Rob Hubbard’s IK theme is a very different beast though, nonetheless.

So from the current group I love the Age of Wonders 3 piece. Rocket Jockey sounds like it’s building up to something and I love the idea of that something being… the game itself. Dick Dale eat your heart out too. Really dug it even if I did want some sort of payoff or… resolution within the music. Emperor of the Fading Suns, even after a couple of listens didn’t really grab me like the Republic track did, which was unexpectedly gorgeous.

Age of Wonders 3 and Republic: The Revolution.

Age of Wonders 3 and Republic for me as well.

Group AB:

Featuring nominations from @Telefrog, @forgeforsaken, and @WarpRattler (x2) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7l05t0pdcU

Dustforce and Civ IV

Civ 4 and Dustforce for me too

Civilization IV is in Automatic Pick Tier for me, and I agree with Dustforce as the second spot.

Civilization 4 and Outrun 2006 are my votes.

Ouch. Getting seeded against Baba Yetu twice feels beyond unfair.

In any other bracket, I’d vote for both of my choices, but despite it being one of my favorite game soundtracks for how it eschews a “video game”-y sound in favor of weird experimental stuff and tracks that don’t sound like they belong in an arcade shooter at all (seriously, one of the other boss themes in the game is a waltz), I have to throw Darius Gaiden under the bus here. My votes are for OutRun 2 (as this version of the track is actually from, despite the YouTube video - unfortunately, all the decent uploads of OutRun 2 music are from the later home version) and Civilization IV.