Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Group C:
Last Express and Donkey Kong Country

Donkey Kong Country and Jet Grind Radio

Donkey Kong Country & Yu-No

YU-NO (PC-98) - Prologue: Movement 1

Last Express End Credits

This is awesome. I had never heard music from Ace Combat Zero, but that was AMAZING! Glad it made it through without my vote.

For Group C, I’m going with Last Express and Jet Grind Radio!

I’m going to go Yu-No and Donkey Kong Country

As much as I love the soundscape of Jet Set Radio, Humming the Baseline doesn’t do much for me, since as noted, it’s kind of a background filler track. If I were to pick a favorite JSR song, it would probably have to be Rock It On (or maybe Magical Girl).

Last Express and Jet Grind Radio for me.

JGR reminds me I could have probably listed some faves from the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 soundtrack but I didnt want normal music in my choices. Even today when I hear these songs my brain inserts ollie and grinding sounds, yeah, I played that alot.

Donkey Kong Country and The Last Express

Yu-No shocked me, and nearly made the cut though.

Last Express - End Credits
Donkey Kong Country

Did any original Doom music make it in? I was too lazy to post links.

No, but doom 2016 got a nom.

YU-NO and Donkey Kong Country.

I was completely serious before when I said YU-NO has some of the best music we’ll see in this thread, and I’ll be sad to see it miss the cut after just one round. The game itself is a top-notch visual novel from an era when that meant “text-heavy point-and-click adventure,” and even though it has some odd quirks that I feel don’t hold up well 22 years after the game’s initial release, I’d still gladly play it again today.

Donkey Kong Country’s jungle theme needs no introduction and is an easy in for me. My only question: why not Aquatic Ambience?

Even though I bet all of us could sing/whistle it right now, no one choose the Super Mario music.

Probably seen as too obvious.

This is only round 1, right? I have lots more I want to nominate, and believe it or not they aren’t all C64/Amiga chiptunes…

You’re right, I don’t believe it ;)

Gusty Garden from Mario Galaxy got tabbed, but that was it. Similarly no classic Metroid songs, though I nominated a Metroid Prime one. It seems more focus was put on more modern entries, with the exception of oddball people who put Amiga music on there. I really don’t know what those people were thinking ;)

The other thing is that this is a competition, rather than just favorites. It feels like a dick move to comment on somebody’s “favorite”, but here, almost everything is going to lose, so it’s okay to discuss and have differing opinions.

Hey!! SwIV came 3rd out of 4 in the first round. I’m this close to being vindicated!

SwIV was a legit contender. The Amiga will be vindicated. Oh yes, it will.

No group D today?

I would put it up myself, but this is @Thraeg’s baby. However if he is ok with it, in the future, I can also put up groups at the appropriate time. I mean it’s gonna take two months already, don’t want to add too many days ;)