Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Persona 4 and Interstate '76. I was a tester for I’76 so I’m probably a little biased (my one in the manual computer game credit). I absolutely adore that game. It’s such a perfect marriage of cars, guns, music and flat out style. It demands a modern day remake in the same mission-based style with some really sweet multiplayer!

IT HAS TO BE FLAT SHADED POLYGONS! Just a hell of a lot of them! Can you imagine?!

Never get out of the car, man.

Any game that lets you drive a Volvo 240 gets a thumbs-up from me.

I forgot to pop into this thread and didnt get to vote for Q2

Interstate 76 and Persona 4 from me.

I loved I76 i cant remember why i didnt complete it

Persona 4 & Interstate '76
Although I dislike it music-wise, I love how Persona 3 and 4 tried to bring some of that peculiar aural atmosphere that was the high-point of the two first Shin Megami Tensei into the modern console world, and I think that dungeon track is a brilliant example of it.
Same thing for Interstate '76: I may not like it, but I sure as hell appreciate the quality of what it is trying to do!

Grimrock and Persona 4

While I haven’t played Grimrock, that was another one of the tracks that jumped out and grabbed me during my preview listens. Is it maybe a little bit Generic Epic Fantasy Soundtrack? Maybe? But is so good at it. Like, if this was a Dog Show, it would totally win it’s category.

I76 was pretty good, and I have a soft spot for funk, but it was just a touch repetitive, I felt like I was waiting for a bridge that never came. The horn break almost did it, but not quite.

I feel like I like Native American inflected musical themes as much as the next guy (I very seriously looked for a song from Sierra’s Inca to submit to this competition, before realized I don’t like the soundtrack as much as I remembered liking it), but the Tauren music didn’t do it for me.

Backside of the TV isn’t my favorite P4 track (it would be Reach out for the Truth or Your Affection), but it’s pretty strong.

Is this the first day with no bleep-bloops? I guess a couple days ago, but Ascendancy had a bit of a midi feel, whereas all of these sound clearly modern instrumental.

That Interstate 76 faux 1970’s funk is some of my favorite game music. So good.

Legend of Grimrock and Persona 4

Tough round! I’m going funky on both counts: Interstate '76 and Persona 4!

Interstate '76 and Legend of Grimrock are my picks for this round.

For the Horde!

Interstate 76
Legend of Grimrock

Interstate '76 and legend of grimrock

Legend of Grimrock - Never played it but I really liked the tune. I imagined like a western/fantasy setting with the party leading their mounts out through the wilderness with a big sky above them.

Interstate '76 - If ever there was a game soundtrack that did the game justice, it was that game, and this track. All I needed was a view of someone sliding over the hood of their car before jumping in to feel like I was there.

Persona4 soundtrack just wasn’t my thing. And for all the huge budget and what sounded like great instruments for the WoW Tauren theme, the melody to it didn’t vary much and looped on itself a bit. I feel like that could have beens so much more.

Because it’d be fun, I’ll post periodic updates to the brackets (probably every Friday)

Why am I not seeing Subnautica in there?

Interstate '76 had an great soundtrack, it gets my vote.

I listen to all submissions a few times at least, unless I know the music really well already. It’s fascinating how some songs do very little for you on a first run but open up with repeated listens while certain others that are more immediately enjoyable struggle to grow in the same way.

Legend of Grimrock does sound a bit generic epic fantasy to me as well, but I appreciate its turns and the slightly eastern sound it’s got going on in places. This grows on me more with each listen. Interstate '76 wa-wa-was a lot of fun(k). Loved the bass and brass. There’s something about that World of Warcraft Tauren theme. There’s not much going on in it but I find it very calming. I was getting major Kelis vibes from the Persona 4 tune. It’s catchy but I’m not feeling that damp rap section which I think spoils it.

Gah, tough group. Interstate '76 and… I’m going to go with Grimrock the grower.

No one nominated it?

Yeah we missed it for sure. I didn’t even think of it until @Tman mentioned it. Next battle, for sure.

There’s just too much music. We could do another 10 of these before I even start to run out of weird chiptunes to nominate.

Yeah, same. I keep thinking of ones for Next Time. This is really fun to do each day.