Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

I’m rather stunned not to be voting for either of the chiptunes, but they both left me a bit flat.

Starcraft - Obvs!
Sacred Worlds - I guess they dethrone Level 70 Elite Tauren Chieftan for over-the-top fantasy arena rock.

I’d have to turn in my headbanger card if I didn’t vote for Blind Guardian - Sacred Worlds. This cutscene was a pretty cool reward for completing the band’s quests in Sacred 2. Not their best work but even tepid Blind Guardian is pretty worthwhile. :)

Not big on chip tunes and though these were both pretty good I enjoy Starcraft - Terran Theme 3 more.

Group J:
Blind Guardian - Sacred Worlds
Salamander - Starfield

Salamander and
Sacred Worlds

Sacred Worlds
Herzog Zwei

Herzog Zwei and Starcraft

I actually don’t care much for the mellow guitar at the beginning of the Terran Theme, but I really like the middle section of it.

The song title “Back to Square One” for Herzog Zwei is weirdly evocative.

My darling, Herzog Zwei, and Salamander. The Konami mid 80s sound got something unique. Namco’s did too. Great time.

I would have voted for Blind Guardian if it had been a game music and not just a music you can happen to hear inside a game. Thank god, we haven’t been invaded by JRPG opening songs on that regime!

Starcraft - Terran Theme 3

Herzog Zwei

This wasn’t what I was saying. To me, a game music got to be played in-game and try to evoke an atmosphere or something. I have very little interest in what is served as a side dish.

Doesn’t that limit you to only voting for music in games that you’ve actually played though, or are familiar with?

I just approach the exercise as ‘which of these pieces of music do you prefer?’

Quite the contrary, for me: I am curious in pieces of music that are able to evoke images and I find ones from games I already know (for instance, the Terran track in the current tier) can be penalized in that way.

Starcraft and Sacred 2

Herzog Zwei. Back to Square One and Starcraft.

Sacred 2
Starcraft

I feel similarly, int that I kind of feel the Sacred track is a little bit against the spirit of the competition, but I’m not going to threadcop anybody who feels otherwise.

I dont think that really limits my viewings to games I’ve played, I haven’t played a lot of the shmups, or even Herzog Zwei, but I have a sense for what they’re trying to, just via the music.

To each his own though, everybody is going to have different criteria for their votes.

Some of the best chiptunes were designed as tape loader music so I’m not inclined to be particular.

A version of the Sacred 2 tune also plays during the opening cinematic, fyi.

Starcraft Terran and Salamander

Herzog Zwei for sure and… let’s go with Starcraft!