Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Streets of Rage 2 and Quake.

Total War: Shogun 2

Total War and Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2 and Total War: Shogun 2 for me. Pretty much any Streets of Rage 2 track would get my vote over almost anything else. So awesome. If you want to know more about the music of that game, watch this…

That series is incredible. One of the best documentary series on videogames ever IMO.

Shogun 2 and No Man’s Sky

The hardest round for me by far. All of these were great. In the end Quake and Shogun 2 had slight marks that caused be to have to remove them as my choice.

Streets of Rage 2
No Man’s Sky

No Man’s Sky - Escape Velocity
Quake - Main Theme

Thanks for linking that, Dave. It was a pretty cool look into what was behind the music in that time period. It’s hard to believe how much they went through just to get those sounds.

Sure! The whole series is incredible. Episode one with Hip Tanaka and especially Junko Ozawa, a woman who worked at Namco over 30 years ago creating music for arcade games who shows her friggin waveform graphing is just fucking unbelieveable. I have watched the series twenty times or more. It floors me every time.

Group P results:

FF VI: 12
Max Anarchy: 9
FF XIII-2: 4
FF XIII: 2

Streets of Rage 2 and Shogun 2

If Umemoto’s out, let’s hope that other FM wonder Koshiro makes it in!
Streets of Rage 2 and Quake, for the later part’s ominous, “an Alien in Twin Peaks” vibe after the initial noise — although I suspect this might be a title screen :O

No Man’s Sky and Shogun 2.

Only 1 vote for me this time: Shogun 2.

Both No Man’s Sky and Quake almost got the second vote. Am I allowed to ignore all the dead space for the final 3+ minutes of Quake?

I would have voted for No Man’s Sky but I just couldn’t stand the noise during the middle of the song.

Streets of Rage 2, No Man’s Sky

I kind of like the building dissonance in the middle of the No Man’s Sky track. I wouldn’t want to listen to it on repeat, but I feel like it tells a story. It very narrowly edged out Shogun 2, but that might be different had I voted tomorrow.

As Dave mentioned, Streets of Rage 2 is just an absolute killer soundtrack. It’s undoubtedly the top of my all time most-played (i.e. beaten) games, because it was so easy to just slot into my Genesis when bored visiting back home and crank through some juicy time killing nostalgia. Oddly, it doesn’t usually leap immediately to mind when I think about favorite game soundtracks, but damn if all the tunes aren’t burned indelibly into my brain. Was it a formative experience in my musical education? Probably.

Hey, I played Anarchy Reigns online for like the week that it was viable! It was very cool.

Streets of Shogun 2

Oh man… so you know! There is nothing like that game’s multiplayer. The first time I played it and the random events went off in Battle Royale was a complete OMGWTFBBQ moment! So cool. Platinum Games, man…

Group R

Featuring nominations from @anonymgeist, @Soren_Hoglund, @krayzkrok, and @rhamorim.

Group Q Results

Streets of Rage 2: 12
No Man’s Sky: 11
Shogun 2: 9
Quake: 4