Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Neotokyo
Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime

That made me chuckle, thanks!

Great to hear! There’s a bleep-bloop out there for everyone haha :)

Another tough round for me. I love the Turrican soundtracks and think the main theme to Turrican 2 is more enjoyable if you’re familiar with the original theme (which I prefer) because it starts off as if it’s going to be just a slight variation before going off in a totally different but still awesome direction.

The Neotokyo tune was very cool but, gah, in this group it’s difficult to choose over the others. I love the garbled vocal samples which reminded me of Boards of Canada. What an interesting mix.

The really difficult choice is between Monty on the Run and Metroid Prime. The former I only played on the Spectrum which… yeah, isn’t the C64! The C64 had some real bangers eh? I was missing out!

Phendrana Drifts holds a special place in anyone’s heart who played Metroid Prime. Its power comes as much from where and when it plays as it does its pristine crystalline sound.

Turrican 2 and Metroid Prime, then. The two space warriors who can roll into balls.

Metroid Prime is a clear pick for me. Yeah, that moment when you enter is so good. After escaping the clutches of the Magmoor Caverns, and the constant threat, the peace and open space of Phendrana were such a refreshing change, it was a master class in pacing and contrast.

Neotokyo in a narrow pick over Turrican.

These are all excellent, but I have to go with Monty on the Run which is just one of those brilliant uses of the tech of the time that totally speaks to me and then Metroid Prime, which is so amazing because of how Phendrana fit in that game as Craig notes above me. It kind of makes me wish I had picked a tune from Metroid Prime 2 which has some incredible music as well.

Group AD:

Featuring nominations from @DaveLong, @Soren_Hoglund, @Gordon_Cameron, and @CLWheeljack.

Group AD:
Splinter Cell
Mega Man 2

Torvus Bog vs Phendrana Drifts was, indeed, a hard choice. But the moment was superior for Phendrana, so the choice.

I was legit disappointed no one else nominated a Metroid song! There are so many classic ones to choose.

Man I can’t even vote on these.

AC: Metroid Prime and Turrican 2, though it’s a tough choice, as I also love Monty on the Run.

Group AC Results:

Monty on the Run: 13
Metroid Prime: 12
Turrican II: 7
Neo Tokyo: 7

I gotta go with

Battle Squadron - "High Score"
and
Mega Man 2 - "Metal Man Theme"

for this round.

And hey, new avatar for you, @Thraeg!

Been saving this one for when God Hand came up… cracks me up every time.

Heh, yeah, I changed it to mess with @wumpus last night, and then decided it was time to retire the flying shopkeeper anyway. And I’ve always liked Shiren’s understated nature and sense of adventure.

Splinter Cell, absolutely. That’s such an awesome soundtrack.

Obviously I’m going to vote for Mega Man 2, it being my own nom, and also objectively great.

As for my other vote, given that I’m a fan of such absurd and over the top musically questionable nonsense as Indestructible and Max Anarchy, you might think that I’d vote for God Hand…

…and you’d be right. God Hand it is. It’s big, and dumb, and probably not actually all that good in actual fact, but it’s got so much enthusiasm. The tone is so wildly different from the other entries in this group that It’s kind of hard to even compare them, but it’s the one that I enjoyed the most.

The best part is when you’re done kicking dudes in the balls and you’ve created more beheadings than a guillotine with your head slicer to a sitcom laugh track it all fits right together perfectly while watching the credits!

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Battle Squadron

Battle Squadron - “High Score” and Mega Man 2 - “Metal Man Theme”

God Hand and Splinter Cell

The God Hand outro was the perfect coda to the game, and it came as an unexpected delight.