Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Wow, getting chills watching that.

I loved wheeling my Commander around to that tune in Total Annihilation but Smash is tops.

The music of all the Smash games is like the soundtrack of my life for the last fifteen years or so since my kids would play it so much.

I think that’s a great recording with some really strong vocals, but I felt like they overdid them towards the end there. I love the wood instrument sound of it too. The only live version I’ve seen/heard was one Christopher Tin conducted in 2016. It’s not got the same fullness and vocal power of the VGL recording but I appreciate the breathing room the orchestra get!

People got so creative with that piece too. I just love it.

I really wished more game concert or live performances were in that vain.

There are a number of them out there now, fully orchestra/symphony takes on game music. It’s been a bit since I read it, but some of these concerns are helping keep that industry afloat.

Oh I meant in that lower tone way. My dream would be some sort of Baroque reinterpretation, as I love the warmth that emerges from those instruments. Sadly, most game music concerts I am aware of go for bombastic stuff that I don’t care for in the slightest.

Oh. Thank you for the clarification.

Smash Bros. and Civilization advance.

Match 31:

• Metroid Prime
  • Battle Squadron

0 voters

Match 32:

• Bloodborne
  • Doom

0 voters

This is the last match of the round. After this, we will take a break next week because I’m going to be traveling, and will return for the round of 32 on May 7.

Yeah, I was expecting BFG Division to be an easy choice but enjoyed the Bloodborne track more than expected this time. That said, BFG Division is a monster and I just can’t resist its intricacy and aggression.

It pained me to not vote for Metroid Prime but that Battle Squadron keeps impressing me. I love the way it shifts from a reflective melancholic intro to a crunchy electronic groove.

And yes, I too will miss the 'dome! Have a good holiday @Thraeg and thanks again for keeping the tunes flowing.

I meant to say too that another thing that I like about the Doom track is that is has the Led Zeppelin Black Dog quality of the guitar riffing driving the speed of the track.

Edit: actually, the bass drum is going hell for leather so…

Metroid Prime and DooM advance, and the competition heats up as we move on to the round of 32!

Match 33:

(Cybernoid II starts at 6:45, in case the embedded start time doesn’t work.)

• Cybernoid II
  • Donkey Kong Country

0 voters

Match 34:

• Quake 2
  • Interstate '76

0 voters

Man, I’76 vs Quake 2. That’ll be tough. Hopefully.

Yay, the Dome is back!

Super excited and kinda terrified for the choices to come! (But this one was easy-peasy.)

Same!

I could have swung either way with Donkeynoid; I love 'em both. I ultimately erred on the side of Cybernoid’s drive and drop but it wasn’t easy.

I’76 got through on the brass and bass alone this time but Q2 just didn’t hold my interest for long either.

With all due respect, I don’t think I get what people hear in DKC…

Legit question. For me, it’s mostly nostalgia. It’s like hearing the Ocarina of Time theme or similar from other games. It takes you back to a place and time. I know that doesn’t make it better than more fleshed out melodies and themes, but sometimes we vote with our heart.

I love the percussion and bassline that leads into the bouncy main theme (which is great on its own) but I also like the way it drops down to that atmospheric section too. It’s grown on me a lot since its first round!

Edit: I did play DK Country as a kid but only remember the main theme so I don’t have much nostalgia for the piece as a whole.

Same here. I’m not young enough for Nintendo to have been a factor in my childhood and adolescence, and didn’t pay much attention to it till the 64 and then mostly for GoldenEye and Rogue Squadron’s sake.
I never played its competitor either but it just seemed like a more interesting piece of music.

The Interstate '76 track won its contest handily, in my view. It’s not my favorite from the soundtrack but it’s a worthy contender.