Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Let’s make it happen.

I know it won a Grammy and everything but I just don’t care for Baba Yetu.

Naw man. Hell March is fine. good even. But no way I’d vote for it even in the next round. It’s got Katamari up next if it wins.

Same for Portal. They’ll get rolled* if I have my way ;)

*yes I did

Hell March was probably the first video game song I loved and definitely one of the first fifty mp3s I ever downloaded. We’ve all got our nostalgia blindspots in this thing!

Listened all the way through Hell March and still voted for Jon Coulton’s tune. Maybe it’s a “you had to be there” thing. The cleverness of Still Alive’s lyrics still make me smile.

I returned to the C&C soundtrack when the thunderdome started and settled on Prepare for Battle as my favourite. I expected Act on Instinct to come out tops but the synths alongside that killer riff and bassline are an awesome combo.

I really wanted to vote for Streets of Rage because that happy house sound is just infecting but Katamari’s enthusiasm gets me every time. Painful loss either way, especially with Baldur’s bloody Gate going through :-P

I appreciate Still Alive but Hell March fires me up in a way few tracks do. It’s a beast and that final electronic section has grown on me so much since the 'dome started.

Yesterday’s matches are open for a couple more hours.

Match 39:

• Rayman Legends
  • DustForce

0 voters

Match 40:

• Monty on the Run
  • Bastion

0 voters

I feel bad about that last vote because I know how passionate folks are about Monty, but damn, that Bastion track is something I’d jam to in my free time, legit.

Yeah, Baldur’s Gate is like super generic fantasy combat music. Whatevs!

The Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy OST is incredible, in part because it was entirely written for the game and its rap/hip hop comes from many different artists. I own it and it’s one of my favorite game OSTs ever.

Platinum Games are so serious about games and creating something unique in a way that I admire.

Cheers, will take a look at that and give the full OST a listen. God, I’d never even heard of the game before this thread. Watching the launch trailer it looked very Platinum and, wow, it had a Battle Royale mode too!

Well, there goes Monty.

Funny that my Battle Squadron nominee, a weaker entry than any of the SID tunes that have been put forth on this 'dome, is still chugging along. But it’ll probably get ousted next round.

That Monty track was awesome. Never played the game, but it’s amazing what some of those chiptune composers could do.

Damn that first vote. Both of those tunes deserve finals round. I felt extremely horrible voting against the professional sound and feeling of full-on happiness that Rayman Legends track was bringing. But the Dustforce track just … speaks to me. Like a gentle wave of beauty slowly expanding out before you.

Monty, he didn’t stand a chance.

I don’t listen to soundtracks, pretty much ever. There are very, very few exceptions where I’ll listen to a soundtrack outside of the context of the game/ movie.

The nearly comprehensive list is

Lord of the Rings
Battlestar Galactica*
Metroid Prime series
Bastion

• I mean, really, you had to expect that

Based on some recent and old movie stuff, anything James Horner, Hanz Zimmer, the original Blade Runner soundtrack, Tron: Legacy, The Dark Knight, hell I could go on and on.

But from this very thread, I stumbled over to YouTube and listened to Brigador, and I really enjoyed it.

Katamari Damacy dashes Streets of Rage’s hopes on the rocks, and Red Alert hell marches right over Portal, which is no longer Still Alive in this competition.

Technically I believe that Katamari rolled SoR’s hopes up in a giant ball of various other competitors’ mashed up hopes and also dreams and also some random sharks, then continued on cheerfully oblivious to the chaos

Have to admit I am surprised that Portal didn’t advance.

Really admire that Dustforce track, but Rayman is just pure joy.

I feel so powerful right now. Haven’t had chance to listen and weigh in yet.