Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Hey I’m not the one who prevented Hubbard’s masterpiece from even making it to round 2…

It’s an industrial march so it’s going to be hitting the same zones hard. If they’re the right zones for you then ohhhyeeeah. It reminds me of NWO by Ministry.

That said, as much as Red Alert is hell marching over my pleasure centres, Monty is running all over them too. I love that rock and roll groove around 4:20 before it ascends into those almost Muse-like virtuosic… arpeggios? Are they arpeggios? Whatever they are, they’re awesome and do it for me every time. A great finish to a wild track.

Two tunes enter one tune leaves.

I agree 100%. Monty isn’t the chip tune that should have made it this far. But it did. And at this point, it’s beating tunes that really should beat it. It’s almost become a troll of a tune in this competition. And I’ve voted against it, every single time.

Hellmarch is so good, but not really listened to it until this thread. Backed my own horse though of course.

Oh hell yeah. Hubbard is brilliant and IMO doesn’t even need the qualification of “what he did with limited means.” Sometimes the genius is in what you do with the limited means – look at Liszt’s piano transcriptions of the Beethoven symphonies, for example. They’re not merely substitutes for the orchestral versions but worth listening to in their own right for their pianistic ingenuity. And I still prefer the pure SID sound to all remakes/arrangements because it just sounds like nothing else.

I understand completely. My lone entry went away first round, I don’t really have a dog left in the fight.

Was Karate the only other song by Hubbard in the dome? I voted for that too, but I like Monty better.

Pretty sure, yes. I will nominate at least one more Hubbard piece at the next 'Dome.

With my other nominees this time, I had to represent Martin Galway and Jeroen Tel too. Battle Squadron was IMO a weaker entry, but I really like it and wanted something non-SID.

I loved Battle Squadron! Some very nice bleep-bloop choices Gordon.

The first time I listened to Monty I cringed at the blaring C64 noise notes. It progressed from acceptable game track at 0:40, to neat faux guitar rock song at around 3:00, then the crazy finish at around 5:00 – nope, the real flourish starts at 5:30. I even liked the descent back to the more primitive sounds at the end.

The other chiptunes in the dome were fine, but Monty is the only one that’s been added to my work rotation.

The only tune left in the running that might be better is Baba Yetu, IMO. And I say that fully believing Monty is far from the best thing Rob Hubbard ever did. Hubbard is that good.

This was the toughest choice for me so far – Red Alert was my “what was your first game purchase” thread pick, and Hell March is an indelible part of teenage LAN parties, but Monty is just so fun and varied. I’m just glad that my vote wasn’t the deciding one.

Brigador and Monty advance.

Match 59:

• Skyrim
  • Super Mario Galaxy

0 voters

Match 60:

• Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Civilization IV

0 voters

I’m voting against Baba Yetu from here on out. Take that!

Hell March nooooooo

I now hitch my emotional cart to Brigador from here on out, and swear Monty as my truest foe!

Fie! Monty is my new champion, since the interloper Hell March vanquished my precious Katamari!

So it has come to this: ROLAND sound devices at dawn, you curr!

I would take Katamari over either, but am glad @ArmandoPenblade had joined me on the Monty Delenda EST trip.

My new beau is Mario though.

I’m so mad at all of you who voted against Interstate '76. You all need to get out of the car.

I got shotgun!

And since it’s not a very crowded car this should be fine