Enter the Gungeon

Aren’t any of you guys worried about…
Rodney?

-Todd

I was going to reply that I hate bullet hell games and Starward Rogue is a bullet hell while Enter the Gungeon is a roguelite but I just checked Gungeon’s Steam page and Bullet Hell is the first tag so I am a friggin’ idiot.

I’ve been enjoying Gungeon so maybe I should pick up Starward too at some point. I own nearly every other Arcen game and DLC on both Steam and GOG so it’s not like I haven’t been doing my part over the years. :-)

-Todd

Perhaps this is why the game was so stingy with its ammo drops:

Pretty big patch today! The biggest change included is a fix for a bug which was preventing ammo crates from spawning for players using the starting guns heavily (thanks /u/asymptotical, /u/Zatherz, and /u/RatchetHero for helping find this!). The problem was with how room clear rewards are calculated, which occurs the moment you kill the last enemy in a room; typically you get a chance at a normal room clear reward (which can be a chest, heart, armor, ammo, etc), and a second chance specifically for an ammo drop. Due to this bug, that separate ammo drop roll wasn’t happening if the player was holding an infinite ammo gun… In other words, using starting guns decreased the chance for ammo crates to spawn considerably! Hopefully this fix addresses the issues some have been having with ammo, though we’ll continue to watch drop rates over time.

Yeah, that’ll do it.

Complete version coming soon. Looks like its a free update.

We see this update as the ‘complete’ version of the original release of Enter the Gungeon, hence the word advanced in the title. We’ve included nearly everything that we had in our original and insanely over-scoped plan for the game, as well as tried to incorporate as many pieces of thoughtful feedback from our lovely community. We read the comments, and we’ve stolen many of your ideas wholesale. As we get closer to the release of the update, we will have a detailed post about the changes included in the update.

I had no idea it was early access. Did it change much? The game looked like a really cumbersome and obnoxious affair when it was getting a lot of attention for some reason a year ago.

I don’t think it was in early access, it was 1.0 , but they had other things planned before they slapped on 1.0 that never made it in. This is everything they wanted in the game plus fan suggestions added in for quality of life.

Just picked this up during an Xbox One Games with Gold sale (so with my luck it will probably be free soon).

So far I’m having a blast, fantastic game. This is probably my favorite bullet hell/twin stick shooter since Beat Hazard (I’ve spent a lot more time with BH, so I still rank it higher–plus BH has a flawless soundtrack).

The sound design in this game is top notch, the room design is great, and the weapons are diverse and fun to use.

I’d never paid attention to this game before because the name put me off, and it looked like just another generic retro pixel art game in an era where I’m mostly over them. But I’m glad I took a deeper look, well worth the $7 I paid for my Xbox version.

Best sub-title ever?

I just found out about this today. Awesome! Gungeon is one of those games that perfectly captures the joy of videogames. It’s something you couldn’t produce in any other media format. It’s practically perfect in every way.

B U L L E T

B U L L E T

I haven’t touched it since launch, where I had a great deal of fun with it for a few weeks. I’ll definitely check back in.

Oh wow… they did a big expansion once already. So many guns! There’s now a bullet that shoots guns! The Supply Drop update came in January last year.

Not sure where I posted my impresssions. I ended up disliking it because I could never settle on a control scheme between gamepad and mouse. I should just stick to melee games.

One thing I’ve noticed that holds people back is not using the limited ammo guns that you find. Use them up! You will get farther. There are things that will aid your progress if you continue to press deeper into the gungeons.

The boss isn’t always the same either. It’s a RNG thing for which one you’ll get at the end of the first area, etc.

I’m terrible at this game, and I’ve never made it past the second boss. And even though I like the mechanics, there was always something that bothered me about it. For a game that celebrates its wacky diversity of guns, I felt like I was using my starter pistol for the majority of content. It was getting unexpectedly repetitive, and I set the game aside …

… until the newest patch. Wow, what a difference it makes! The enemies are a little bit tougher, but now there are guns galore. After the second rooms, I can usually put away the starter pistol for good. What an improvement! I’m looking forward to spending a lot more time with this game and finally seeing what it’s all about.

I totally agree. The game feels so much better now, I’m having a blast.

Oh awesome, just found this thread! Pasting my questions from the Switch thread here:

One other question - is there any reason to continue playing with the original loot table instead of the new expansions’ loot table? I was thinking of starting with the original so I’m not completely overwhelmed with new stuff, but it seems like it’s enough of an improvement - not just new stuff - to just leave it all enabled from the outset.

I use ZR and ZL to shoot and dodge roll. Item is L, blanks are R.

Reload is push down on R, interact is push down on L (alt bound to Y for teleports). This is so I can do all my in-combat reloading and table flipping without leaving the thumbsticks. Always be reloading!

Weapon swap is B, close to the right thumb in case I run out of ammo. Map is up arrow.

I read an online guide that pointed out that the game is designed for keyboard/mouse, so you should not be ashamed to crank up the aim assist. Indeed, I am not ashamed.

The same guide suggested spending your shells on keys when possible, which is good advice. Since I still never have enough keys, I usually play the pilot who can (sometimes) open a chest without a key.

The last bit of advice it offered was to treat encounters, especially boss encounters, as a bullet hell game rather than a precision shooter. Once you are good at observing and avoiding the attack pattern, the shooting will take care of itself.

I can’t stand the pilot. I never unlock chests with his passive and then it prevents you from opening it with a key…

Already had sunk tons of hours into the game prior the recent expension, but that one definitely brings some worthwhile additions to the gae. New gear aside, I’m digging some of the smaller bits that make things better and also increase the usability aspect. E.g., you can dodge-roll over tables now instead of them blocking you. The elevator room after the boss fight now spots a teleporter, so that if you decide not to head there right away because you want to finish exploring the level or buy something in the shop before moving on, you then can jump straight to the elevator once you’re done instead of walking through the boss room again. It’s a minor thing, but welcome the change.

So, I suck at this. I’ve tried to do a boss fight about 7 times. I won once. No idea how. The frustrating thing is that while there is meta progression, which I like, the only way to advance anything is by beating a boss. Without some way to increase my health more or do more damage, the only option is to suck less, which is not my strong suit.