Envy 3% at rottentomates

Eew! I just wanted a picture of Lucy Liu. Why would you spoil it with that guy’s goofy mug? :)

-Tom

This is going to sound bizarre, but I have to say it since its so damn weird.

Every time someone posts a picture of Mr. Chick, I think its Philip K. Dick. Like for instance, while scrolling through this thread, I thought, “Why’d he photoshop PKD and Lucy Liu together?” It takes me like 5 seconds to realize who it really is. I’ve never seen seen a picture of PKD and I don’t know what he looked like in general, or if he was even … photogenic?, but Tom Chick’s picture says, “Yup, there’s Philip” to me.

This is not meant an insult to Tom, BTW. :) I used to devour PKD books when I was around 10 years old, searching for anything he’d written that I could get my hands on.

-Kitsune

Wow. That’s weird. Considering they don’t look similar at all…

I always think of Bob from Sesame Street. The heads are the same shape.

Troy

No no, Tom’s the one on the right.

• Alan

That pic makes Lui’s earring almost look like it’s Tom’s, easily making him about 15% saucier.

Is it somehow meaningful that Chick’s “first published” date is on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor?

A day that will live in infamy, indeed.

Tom Chick in thirty years:

Isn’t that the guy that trashed Deus Ex?

No, I’m pretty sure John Waters liked Deus Ex.

-Tom

You understand me, you really understand me!

Sadly, I don’t understand Armaggedon. If I’m going to collect an early Liv Tyler movie, I pick “That Thing You Do”. :)

Armageddon is almost pure awesome. There may be something deeply, deeply wrong with me, but I liked Armageddon and Bad Boys II. They may not be any good, but they are definitely awesome.
The way that Armageddon has roughly 8 too many characters, nearly all of them wacky? Awesome.
The inexplicable military-as-bad guys subplot? Awesome.
It’s a finely tuned entertainment producing machine.

My favorite part was the gatling guns installed on the drilling asteroid rovers. You know, in case the commies showed up to try and save the world themselves. Or, failing that, a tense scene with SPACE DEMENTIA!!!

liv tyler does not make bad movies. ergo, armageddon cannot be a bad movie. its simple logic, folks.

now, it might not have been a great movie, but at least it wasn’t an action movie with 1.5 hours of 12-year-old love story in the middle of it. ya, i’m talking about you, deep impact.

Oh, but Leelee and Elijah looked so cute together!

Deep Impact was many, many, many times better than Armageddon. Which still doesn’t sound like much, but it was good. Armageddon, on the other hand… well, what can you say about a movie that steals plotlines from Ren and Stimpy and plays them straight?

Yeah, seriously. Armageddon was a groan-inducingly bad movie. It makes Independence Day look like an art film by comparison. I’ll take twelve 12-year old love stories over the cloying, predictable-from scene-one “Ben Affleck proves his mettle when the chips are down” generic plot device that drove Armageddon.

What makes more sense, teaching astronauts how to drill and shooting them into space, or teaching drillers how to be astronauts and doing the same? That alone is enough to declare Deep Impact the superior film. That it was pretty well acted and produced is just icing.