Ephedra or hoodia: any informed opinions here?

I sad Bacon was correct that you can lose weight by just dieting since you’re typically lowering your caloric intake below what you’re expending, fini. I personally advise exercising and modifying your eating patterns if you’re trying to lose weight since the typical overweight person is failry inactive and has poor eating habits.

Notice how it says to 70%, not by 70%.

Well at least we agree on something ;P

I actually meant easiest to refer to doing something you enjoy like a sport tobecome more active. Rereading what I wrote I see it’s not very clear, but clear writing has never been one of my strong points ;P As for not quick, that refered to just going for short walks. You won’t burn calories as fast, but it all adds up in the long-run.

Eh? Not sure what you’re trying to get at here. Do you mean it’s not worth the effort to do this to keep track of your eating(as long as you make the choice to eat healthier) and that calories are just a way to measure the body’s usage/storage of food as fuel and has no real bearing on how your body actually utilizes the food you digest?

Not sure on what point you’re trying to make since there’s a few reasons you could have said that. Anyways, as long as you make an effort to restrict your caloric intake through the whole day, it doesn’t matter one bit when you eat. That’s why I said you’re better off eating smaller but more numerous meals throughout the entire day. That way, you shouldn’t really feel hungry at any point, including the evening since you’ve planed the whole day out. And you avoid the temptation to grab a snack or 2 in the evening and thereby wreck your effort. I suppose that’s why you say only good fluids, to help curb feelings of hunger and not take many calories(i.e. water).

I’d recommend 8-12 reps myself since you’ll build lean muscle mass faster that way and the caloric expenditure (if I recall correctly)is also greater, unless you start hitting the 20 rep range.

Anyways, from what Bacon seems to want, I’d say you should invest in a cheap home gym if you could. You don’t need much, a bench, some dumbells, barbell, and of course the weights. Going to a gym would likely take way to much time out of your day. But if you can add in working out at home for 1/2 hour a few times a week(which is more likely to happen if you have weights right at hand), incorporate even just some more walking into your day(on your work breaks you could just walk around the office, might as well use that time you’re getting paid for to save from cutting into your non-work time ;P), and try to cut down on your portion sizes and/or eat a bit better, you should hopefully not have too much difficulty making a few smaller adjustments to your life and you’ll notice a difference soon enough.

Don’t worry about any of that, it’s all a myth. The time that you eat at has no bearing on how your body will use it.

Groovy. I’m with all of that, but later on you expound on this train of thought, and although it seems like a rational extension, I’ll explain why it’s not.

I have now, thanks. My apologies for the misread. However, I still don’t like it for other reasons. Mostly, the problem is that you’re heavily implying that BTG can simply cut his caloric intake to 70% of what it is now (which could be, you know, any amount unde the cold grey sun), not bother with exercise (it’s cool you advocate exercise, but you kicked off your post with “If you want to lose weight Bacon is right; just changing his diet will do that.” That’s an irresponsible claim to make. Here’s why:

1. You don’t know Bacon’s diet. He’s not a retard, so we can assume he’s not eating a dozen of Krispy Kreme’s finest throughout the day with a dinner composed of pork slices sauteed in lard. Still, you can’t toss out a number nearly at random for caloric reduction and assume it applies to everyone. Sticking someone on a 1,200 calorie diet and telling them to cut back by 30% are not the same numbers. Everyone who is demonstrably overweight will lose weight over time if they stick to a 1,200 cal diet; not so much with the other figure. An extra 30% of 1,200 is still less than 2,000 - the assumed average caloric intake. I’ve a feeling pudgy folks are whacking down more than that.

2. Everybody’s different, thus every body is different. I could go on a diet and lose 20-30 pounds, meanwhile you could stick to the exact same diet and lose maybe 10 at best (or even none) over the same period.

3. I’ve mentioned this before: the body is an equilibrium-centric system. The term is homeostasis, which loosely translates to “the same always.” In actuality, it’s more of a sine wave-type balance. Dig it: it’s like if you plotted your house’s temperature on a graph. In the summer, let’s say you set the thermostat to 74 degrees F. If you kicked it in Vegas, your power bill during the summer months would be silly huge if your house tried to keep you at 74 F without a degree to spare (FYI, it’s silly huge anyway - $350+ a month in the summer, anyone?). So, your house waits until it gets to around 2 degrees above your set temp and then blows until the ambient temp is down around 72, then it lets things warm back up to 76 before it kicks the air in again. So, the temperature of your pad is cycling down from 76 to 72 and then back up again, over and over. Hopefully, at night the temps allow for the AC to take a breather and not work.

Now, that’s totally groovy in and of itself, until August rolls around and your beleagured AC unit is running nonstop, 24/7, even at a conservative setting. You live in some crummy nonshaded trailer park, your shitbox mobile home is gonna lose its chill as fast (or faster) than your puttery AC can hang. So, you just say fuck it and crank the knob up a few ticks, so that it’s not trying to bust you down to 2 degrees below the old set point and can maybe take a break during all but the super-hot afternoon times, and you don’t have to walk up and down Fremont Street in garter belts and thigh-highs just to earn power bill money.

Similarly, in the spring when it cools off you don’t mind keeping the thermostat at 74, since it’s only uncomfortably hot infrequently and even then it’s only in the afternoon for a few hours. That’s a snap, there’s no need to reset.

The point? If you throw down a good exercise regimen, your body will think it’s permanent summer, and adjust accordingly. If not, it’ll just hang wherever it is and worse yet, it will do whatever it can to keep you at that point, like if you set your thermostat too low and it runs AC all fucking day when it doesn’t need to.

Your body likes things wherever they are currently because wherever it is, it’s like as not a place where you aren’t putting any stress on it, so it’s groovy. But it’s kind of dumb. It thinks wherever you are is so groovy, it will take steps to avoid changing it, even if the results of the change (like dropping from 320 to 190) mean a relatively healthier state. So a diet that keeps a 185-pound guy at 185 pounds may very well keep a 280-pound guy at his weight, because both guys’ bodies are working to keep them at their respective weights. Small guy’s body passes on alot of stuff, meanwhile fat guy’s body is horking everything to maintain that kadunkadunkdunk he’s got. Now, the body is usually to go from the aforementioned 320 to closer to 2 bills because it isn’t completely retarded, and likewise it’ll let you pack it on over time if you keep busting calories on it. However, it’s not as discriminate as you’d like in carrying out its orders to lighten the load; muscle will go along with fat as weight is lost, which is one of the reasons why dieting alone for weight loss blows.

Well, how do you prevent that? Exercise. You promote muscle density maintenance, pawning it off on fat as well as using the fat to work the muscles. Biophysicially, fat burning weight training is a two-fisted attack, and an improved diet makes it a triple threat - as opposed to the one-thrust with serious resistance scenario evident in dieting alone. Again, your body is highly loathe to change its setpoint for weight. Exercising to build muscle weight (which is denser than fat) will throw you off if you don’t keep in mind the relative densities of fat and muscle, so you’ll get net weight losses in discouraging amounts, yet others will see the improvements as you burn off fat and then build muscle. A 6-foot 200-pound guy who works out a lot will look way better than a 200-pound dude who doesn’t.

And back to the thread topic, ephedra provides support in all phases of weight loss promotion, plus the unique kicker in that it resets your thermostat for you, better and more permanently than you’re likely to be able to manage without it.

I actually meant easiest to refer to doing something you enjoy like a sport tobecome more active. Rereading what I wrote I see it’s not very clear, but clear writing has never been one of my strong points ;P As for not quick, that refered to just going for short walks. You won’t burn calories as fast, but it all adds up in the long-run.

Only if the run itself is long. You can stay fat real easy by half-assing your exercise hehaviors. “It’s better than nothing!” won’t even be true after awhile, once your body is used to you walking. Even if you stop, it’ll take some measures to keep you wherever you are. Homeostasis.

Eh? Not sure what you’re trying to get at here. Do you mean it’s not worth the effort to do this to keep track of your eating(as long as you make the choice to eat healthier) and that calories are just a way to measure the body’s usage/storage of food as fuel and has no real bearing on how your body actually utilizes the food you digest?

It’s about how you look at it. Like I said, if you’re counting calories to stick to a 1,000-1,200 cal diet, then that’s cool. But, if you depend on a treadmill’s calorie readout to cancel out drinking a soda, you’re just splitting unneccessary hairs and are, generally speaking, doing yourself a disservice. You don’t lose weight by drinking a soda and then jogging until the LED says 120, you lose it by not drinking soda and jogging with a good sweat going for 20-30 minutes straight.

Not sure on what point you’re trying to make since there’s a few reasons you could have said that. Anyways, as long as you make an effort to restrict your caloric intake through the whole day, it doesn’t matter one bit when you eat.

Wrong. You’re totally fucking wrong. You say as much in your next sentence:

That’s why I said you’re better off eating smaller but more numerous meals throughout the entire day. That way, you shouldn’t really feel hungry at any point, including the evening since you’ve planed the whole day out. And you avoid the temptation to grab a snack or 2 in the evening and thereby wreck your effort. I suppose that’s why you say only good fluids, to help curb feelings of hunger and not take many calories(i.e. water).

Uh yeah, I thought that was obvious. And it sure as Hell matters what and how you eat during the day. See, it’s back to homeostasis: you have to challenge your body to get it to change itself for you. Now, you don’t have to go cold turkey, full-court press from day 1, but you have to do some dramatic things. We’re just speaking in different lingo, is all. Small meals throughout the day, yes. That means, no big meals ever hopefully but certainly none within 3 hours of bedtime (which is more precise, my apologies for the bad wording). If you can’t stick to the smaller, more frequent meal schedule (which ain’t easy), you’ll still be helping yourself by, uh, not helping yourself in the PM.

It’s like if you want to cut back on soda, because you don’t want to go cold turkey. Well, make a promise to yourself that you’ll never have a soda with breakfast or lunch, only with dinner. There, now you’re down to 1 or 2 cans or whatever (switching to cans from larger bottles is a good step, too) max. Never have any early and tell yourself you just won’t have any later - that always fails.

I’d recommend 8-12 reps myself since you’ll build lean muscle mass faster that way and the caloric expenditure (if I recall correctly)is also greater, unless you start hitting the 20 rep range.

Yeah. Here’s another big misconception about exercising. Your body isn’t good at being simultaneously anabolic (muscle building) and catabolic (fat burning), since many of the biochemical pathways involved in the two schemes are the same, just reversed for one over the other. It’s why you are better off going through bulking phases to build muscle and exercise accordingly to that (the accepted standard is 3 sets, 6-8 reps, never more than 10 reps per set for 4-6 different exercises), and then switch to fat burning (3-4 sets of 12-15 reps per set, never less than 10 per set). I mean, you can fiddlyfuck around initially, since all you’re doing is acquiring tone and coordination. You should spend at least 1-2 months on one type of exercise goal, with a few weeks of adjustment (trending weight down or up as you increase/decrease reps) in between. Dude, all you have to do is try it. You will feel the difference between a high-weight, low-rep workout (where your muscles are tight and you feel pretty punked the next day) and a low weight, high-rep schedule (you only feel the burn on the last 2-3 reps per set, but within 48 hours your shit is frying yet you’re not cashed because of it).

Why? During bulking, you’re tossing all your carbs and protein into muscle growth, literally as building blocks for muscle (and residual gained fat). Using most of your body’s resources as building materials is taxing, and it’s why sleep is crucial to effective muscle growth. Conversely, the fat burning regimen is freeing up energy from fat stores, so you’re feeling the work but you’ve got the gas, you know?

The stuff you’re referring to is simple toning of muscle. You ain’t building shit that way.

Anyways, from what Bacon seems to want, I’d say you should invest in a cheap home gym if you could. You don’t need much, a bench, some dumbells, barbell, and of course the weights. Going to a gym would likely take way to much time out of your day. But if you can add in working out at home for 1/2 hour a few times a week(which is more likely to happen if you have weights right at hand), incorporate even just some more walking into your day(on your work breaks you could just walk around the office, might as well use that time you’re getting paid for to save from cutting into your non-work time ;P), and try to cut down on your portion sizes and/or eat a bit better, you should hopefully not have too much difficulty making a few smaller adjustments to your life and you’ll notice a difference soon enough.

Sure. I’d join a gym and see if I could score a workout partner, or take the money I’d blow on a home gym (wherever I’d put it if I did) and get a trainer. Whatever, somebody who is depending on me to show up is the point, at least until I can make it a habit. I’d go right after work if I could, since the worst thing you can do is go home and plop down on the couch or in front of the ol’ PC - which is why home equipment garners no better usage rates than a club membership, unless you got a pal who’s coming over.

Don’t worry about any of that, it’s all a myth. The time that you eat at has no bearing on how your body will use it.

Wow, you’re very wrong. Jojo, ignore this part of Mano’s advice. I were you, I’d hit the gym after work, go home and slam a protein shake immediately, even and especially if you’re still in that nonhungry, almost queasy post-workout jag, then sack out as per usual. If you think that’s no different than pounding down a Super Size right before hitting the sheets, you’re way mistaken. Like, what does your body do with all that shit? The same thing it does when you eat and don’t do anything active, worse because you’re doing the least active activity possible, sleeping. Contrast that to going to bed shortly before your body enters its post-workout scavenger hunt. Were you awake, you’d get hungry; asleep, your body ganks fat to get by.

Ephedra was nice for long distance drives.

I’ve heard that a lot, but do you have any clinical trials to back that up? I’ve only read about one, fairly recent at a German clinic, and they agree with Mano – eating late makes no difference at all for gaining weight. Their explanation was that the body does not digest food while asleep, so whereas the food in your intestines might give you indigestion and uneasy sleep it won’t actually contribute to your metabolism until the next day when you’re awake again.

I need to lose like 15 pounds, picked up a bit of a beer gut (finally) last xmas and lost my ‘free’ 6 pack (I never worked out ever, didnt do much sports, just a skinny kid, apparently turning 29 gave me a gut!)

Here’s what I made my workout (specifically I need it to be easy to stick to, so its only designed to make sure I fucknig do it)

The simpsons comes on every day in the evening (a re-run)
I lift weights until the simpsons is over, while watching the re-run. I dont count or anything, just keep weights going and then my arms get super sore and then kinda zone out, keep lifting and watching and eventually I can kind of ignore that I’m doing anything at all.

Then I do situps, as fast as I can, until the king of the hill rerun is about half over. This part fucking kills me.

This is likely not the ‘best’ workout for me, and while I dont eat junk food at all ,or drink soda at all- I am guilty of only eating one meal a day, and it’s never until 9:30pm or so, and it’s usually osso buco or some other bad for you dealie, and some definately-not-lite beer (belgian usually… sigh)

So far, I havent lost any weight (1.5 months) but my arms are getting bulky, which is ok I guess (arms have always been skinny, but my legs are kinda still muscled from mountain bike racing as a teen)

Anyways, just chiming in with some possibly bad advice that might help a fellow non-fan of exercise: if there is something kinda inactive you do each day, you might be able to do it while excercising. Gaming would be impossible I guess, but an audiobook or tv show, or radio news show or something might help take your mind of how goddamned boring it is to flex muscles over and over and over again. The boredom was a waaay bigger issue for me to get past w/ excercising than the actual effort and dull aches. It helps me just actually do it, and keep it up each day. Just hearing the simpsons theme now reminds me I need to workout.

Well, went to GNC and bought some hoodia. Fucking expensive as fuck, but if it can control my appetite, that will help. I’m part golden retriever, because I’m a gluttonous fuck. I swear in a previous life I must have done time because I eat food like a goddamn inmate – protective of my tray and barely stopping to chew while I glare angrily at the people around me. Needless to say my kids are intimidated by this, but what can you do?

If I can control my appetite then that’s at least something since I can’t control my diet for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. Smaller portions of crap are better than big portions of crap*.

• and by crap, I don’t mean a box of Twinkies washed down with a gallon of Karo corn syrup, just stuff that isn’t as healthy as I’d like such as salmon w/ brussel sprouts or spinach