Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Yeah, Switch already has a News page that you can sub/unsub by game that works like this. I think it will be more useful than the automated new articles that Steam pulls up from god knows where now for all games in your library. It’s not like Epic is forcing you to subscribe and use a global feed with desktop notifications.

Blops4 sold better on Battlenet than any CoD ever has on Steam.

Yeah, it’s a mess. Steam has less than zero interest in doing any moderation, and game makers frequently lack the resources to do it themselves. What you usually end up with is an unpoliced cesspool.

Yeah, both are similarly pursuing game streaming in an effort to cut out the console platform holders to save that same 30%.

I think Epic is actually being super smart in recognizing that Fortnite’s success may not last into perpetuity. It’s funny how many companies doom themselves by assuming their sudden windfall will never end. Epic is investing in a major business that can be evergreen so they are even better positioned as a business even if Fortnite falls off the map overnight.

So this just happened: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/hades/home

Supergiant’s new game, early access exclusive on Epic’s store.

I also noticed on their coming soon area, that Journey is coming to PC apparently.

And there is, in my book, their killer app.

I am 100% interested in anything Supergiant makes.

The store is getting hammered. The funny thing is if you go to the game site playhades.com the Epic widget shows the game as “free” for a second until the price is able to load in.

Hard to argue with a free game offer every two weeks, that’ll certainly help keep the store fresh in people’s memories as each new offer hits the news sites, bargain forums\reddit, etc.

Dauntless announced for Epic Games Store. No Steam logo in sight.

Google says Dauntless is a free ARPG? No mention of Epic store?

Has anyone seen whether “Free” for the free game every two weeks means free permanently (if you grab it then) or free just for those weeks? Seems like a pretty huge difference, and I haven’t seen it spelled out anywhere.

Good question, though the fact that the Epic Games news release mentioned Epic funding these free releases out of their own pocket would suggest that it might be the limited time availability free to keep kind of deal. I guess we’ll ultimately find out when someone clarifies or the time window for Subnautica closes.

“The store will also feature one free game every two weeks throughout 2019. Epic is funding these free releases so you always have something new to come and check out. The first free game will be Subnautica, available from Dec 14th to Dec 27th, followed by Super Meat Boy from Dec 28th to Jan 10th.”

I guess this is where the consumer benefits. Let amazon and epic rain free games on us. At some point discord will have to join the fray so they don’t become irrelevant. Steam will compete with whoever stays relevant.

Damn I’ll take those free games. I don’t mind another installer in the slightest.

Eventually all of gaming will be funded by Fortnite cosmetics and Amazon’s investors.

Free games are always welcome.

I really like their site design. Very clean, bold colors. Sharp.

And every person on the planet will be a game developer.

Dang. Steam has got to be feeling it, broadcasting live all of Epic’s store ads like that.

DID SOMEBODY SAY FREE SHIT

Dauntless has its own launcher.

The game pages in the store are really beautiful, especially compared to Steam which is just antiquated. It’s nearly impossible to get a good look at a screenshot on Steam. The Epic Game store has that gorgeous HTML5 look with huge screens and art, a big splash video and YouTube embeds.

Yeah, it’s nice lookin’. Missing tons of functionality, though. Wishlists are a big one, as is training the store on your preferences. Not a big deal now with like 10 games, but discovery is extremely important with a large marketplace. I’m sure they’ll add that stuff soon enough, right now it’s barebones.

So now Epic is bribing devs who make games that were already announced for Steam to NOT come to Steam and to come to Epic Store instead…

This is shitty. It is not competition, it is fragmentation. Just like MS/EA/Actard/Bethesda deserve criticism for keeping their games exclusive to their stores, so does now Epic.