Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

That fact that cloud saves are on a game by game basis is a bit weird. (no generic API written up for others to implement yet?)

Lets see! Also first off before voting, remember the Epic Game Store only opened on December 6, 2018. So none of this I played Fortnite or Unreal Tournament back in the day bs. ;)

Have you accepted the free games offered on the Epic Game Store?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have you bought a game on the Epic Game Store?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have you played a game from the Epic Game Store?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Some is paying for their employees to eat, have a roof and health, and it certainly isn’t either of those entities.

Now, to be clear, it is as much apathy and I have played literally only about 15 hours of video games this year.

Largely driven by not having my PC and cross country moves.

I do expect it to pick up by years end. But it’ll still be under 100 hours for the year. Which is about average for me.

I’ve picked up most of the freebies, bought Hades during the $10-off sale, and played Hades and installed some other things.

With all that said, though, I don’t have a horse in this race. I primarily purchase PC games via bundles or the Humble Monthly, and if I’m buying something outside of those, it’s generally a very specific game I’m going to buy regardless of platform or whether I get a Steam key.

Very impressed by this dev who rejected Epic’s scummy tactics. This guy has my long-term support.

I’ve bought a few games;
Hades
Operencia
Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw

No issues with the store until, oddly, today; I’m trying to pick up my freebies and I’m getting a 404 error when trying to navigate to Hyper Light Drifter. Checked out some other games, and I’m getting the same error with some, yet other store pages open up fine. Seems rather weird.

Yeah I had some trouble too, black screens, 500 error message and then Mutant Year Zero not showing as a free game, but hyperlight drifter was, snagged MYZ for free by typing its name in the search box instead.

The third question should really have been: If you have either accepted free games offer or bought games on the Epic store, have you played them?

Because the people who haven’t done any business in the store obviously haven’t played. But then you can’t see the proportion of those who have done so and played.

:( Make a poll for it! :P

He. There always has to be someone commenting that a poll is poorly worded. It’s pretty much a law. :)

But the first 2 questions are likely the most interesting ones. Are Epic’s free games bringing the gamers to their yard and do said gamers also spend cash on games?

I just wish it would open my damned library instead of defaulting to the front page the second I stop looking at it.

Where’s “I played games on the Epic Store, decided I like games more with achievements and questioned my own mortality”?

I would bet most people here who bought a game on EGS bought Outlaw and not much else.

Personally I pick up the free games - I already had account before EGS existed because of the Unreal Tournament they abandoned - but haven’t played any of them since they don’t really appeal to me much. But at least the account isn’t so empty, and if Epic one day improves EGS to fully featured usable state and abandones the exclusivity stuff, I will have no problem using it.

Observation and Journey so far. Will get Rebel Galaxy:Outlaw this week-end when life slows down a bit. Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds will likely be next.

I also got more than a dozen free games. My library is starting to get nicely populated with a backlog of decent games. And that’s how Epic will bring people who have an account to use the store. The more you play those games, the less jarring it is to use that launcher instead of always Steam / GoG / insert your launcher of choice here. For all the angst, it’s just a store front and a launcher. Nothing special.

RGO, Operencia, John Wick Hex, Journey, The outer World’s and Phoenix Point so far.

Wow, your poll got a lot of votes already. I guess most of Qt3 is glued to this trainwreck of a thread.

Is this out? I have to say, the promotion on the Epic Store is pure garbage.

Just Operencia, which is also the only game I have played from Epic. The other games have just been added to my backlog.

Hades, Oxygen Not Included, Tetris Effect and RGO.