Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Not so much from forum members, but from someone using Google or such to malicious efforts. I have had to clear my office due to a bomb threat, to give an example of how concerns are somewhat valid.

Shit happens, no worries!! It thankfully happened pretty early so I only lost 2-3 hours or something. The game is fun enough so I didn’t mind that, other than having to sit through their 8 minutes of unskippable intro again and that crime is solely on Gearbox. :)

Really sorry to hear about the threats and crap, that’s so absurdly stupid and disturbing. Don’t blame you one bit for keeping things a little close to the vest, I would be doing the very same.

Nice bunch of Batman games for this week’s giveaway.

Jesus Christ, I’m so sorry.

I mean, I’m really not a fan of Epic, but you work with games - I cannot possibly understand how people make the determination to make death threats over fucking video games. People need to get a freaking grip.

Yeah, this is pretty impressive. I never got around to playing Arkham Knight, so I’m pretty happy with this.

This number is based on the year-end financials for the publisher’s parent company. When the report was prepared Control hadn’t released yet, so the assumption is that the revenue is solely from the exclusivity deal.

Thanks for posting this! A couple of points for those that aren’t familiar with financial disclosures: this is related to a publicly traded company, where finances are obviously handled differently vs. private (Epic is private.) Also, that EUR number is approx $10.5M, for those who might wonder about the conversion.

I just lost another 2-3 hour game session due to EGS eating a cloud save. This is the reason why I want a goddamned choice on where to buy my games.

Played some Borderlands 3 on my laptop for about 2-3 hours in the morning yesterday. Came back in the evening and played on my desktop (different character, so I didn’t notice at first). I didn’t get the prompt from EGS saying there was a cloud save conflict or anything, like how it usually does now. Never had any idea it didn’t pull in my save from the morning session.

Anyway, this morning I fire Borderlands 3 back up on the laptop and I get the notification asking if I want to download the save from last night (flagged as “Newer”, 10pm) or upload the local one (flagged as “older”, 11:00am yesterday). I chose to download. and… my entire morning play session is gone. I’m back to L7 instead of L15 and I’ve got to work my way through a couple hours of the main story again at least.

I’m seriously pissed at this point because this is the second time Epic cloud saves have failed. If I’ve ever dealt with this kind of crap on Steam it’s been so long ago that’s been forgotten from memory. This is why I don’t want to be forced onto platforms that aren’t ready if I want to play games with my friends.

Epic, I love what you’re doing for developers but you can seriously go fuck right off with this exclusive horseshit.

Ugh. sigh Sorry Kevin. If you would PM me your e-mail address, I’ll see if someone from support can reach out to you and assist. If we can better understand how/why this happened, we can help prevent it from happening again.

This may not help and/or may already have been fixed, but make sure you wait until it finishes working with the cloud before you close the launcher. When playing Rebel Galaxy I found that it will not delay exiting to finish working with the cloud and then the next time I would run it (even on the same PC!) it would get confused and not know what to do.

I think what @Mysterial is saying is the crux of it. Playing Borderlands was the last thing I did yesterday morning before shutting down my laptop, so my guess is that the cloud save transfer either didn’t initiate or complete before Windows shut down. I can PM you my email if you think it can help.

In the meantime, is there any indicator to see if a cloud save has been uploaded? That way I can make sure the process is complete before shutting anything down. It seems to me Steam will not close until the cloud sync is finished, perhaps the Epic client can do something similar? Maybe it does and it just didn’t work right.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and my potty mouth. I’ve just lost about 5 or 6 hours of play time due to lost saves and replaying lengthy cutscenes and dialog in Borderlands over and over is awful! :)

Maybe they could patch Borderlands 3 so it checks to see if the user has lost progress due to cloud save issues and if so, they’re permitted to skip cutscenes.

Or, just, let everyone skip cutscenes. :D

This is always the answer.

And if you want to get real user friendly, make all cutscenes accessible from the menu, so those of us with small kids who wake up crying right in the middle of the story climax can go back and watch without having to restore to a save from 30 minutes earlier.

Not that this has ever happened to me.

Doesn’t Steam save locally and with the cloud? So if one or the other isn’t available, Steam will use the latest save?

Why doesn’t EGS do that?

Probably some variation of “Steam has had a decade to get where they are, you can’t expect feature parity right out of the gate.”

/duck

Yeah it does. You can still play your games, with the saves, without the internet, and Steam won’t let you gracefully exit without completing the cloud save… if it’s a sudden disruption the local save is there.

Based on what Kevin is saying though, it almost sounds like EGS is trying to do the same thing, but failing. It thinks the cloud save is newer, but it really isn’t, so it convinces him to use it instead of the local one.

I’ve never had anything like that happen to me with cloud-saves, so I am not sure what would happen if steam though the cloud save was the latest save, you load it, find out it’s not… is the local save still intact? I’m not sure in that case. I have had steam ask me if i wanted to use the cloud save over the local… and that wasn’t an issue because cloud save was fine.

That makes sense, I guess. The EGS client just gets interrupted or fails, then it thinks the bad save is the real one.

That’s my assumption. I clearly don’t know for sure.

That, or at minimum maybe we could pause cutscenes. I missed one in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw because my mom called precisely when I had just triggered one so I completely missed it, and if it’s in the game’s local files, it’s so well hidden or compressed in an archive that I can’t find it to play it back.

(BTW why does the spellchecker do a red underline under “cutscenes”? This word has been in the gaming lexicon for 20 years at minimum by now.)

Well, that explains the issue I was having with RGO. I need to be more patient.