Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

OK, thanks. But honestly having to do all that is kinda bullshit. Epic’s gotta up its game here. There shouldn’t have been an issue opening the app in the first place.

Not disagreeing. I don’t recall Steam or Origins or Uplay ever failing to launch or update properly.

Workaround is probably to download Process Monitor from SysInternals/Microsoft. This tool will let you see what EGS tries to find as it launches in terms of registry locations and files.

Most likely it is failing to find a file or registry key that tells EGS that you have game X installed in folder Y.

Once you recreate this key, you should be good to go (i.e. restarting EGS and it should find the folder/reg key).

Sometimes you’ll need to recreate more than one.

All of the app stores have issues like this in my experience. For example EA Downloader might let you pick the folder the game resides in, but it still runs a verification on ALL files AND then does a “touchup.exe” which basically reinstalls the game/components, so, get ready to get Visual c++ and directX redistributables run for the 21000th time.

Edit:
Turns out the .manifest files are the installation settings for each game you have installed.

So if someone sends you their manifest file for Rebel Galaxy (they can try replacing their SessionID with 0s before sending) it might work (The installationGUID in the file is the same as the file name).

You’ll just have to edit it to pick the right path.

More on the epic launcher being idiotic.

So GTAV has this folder called ‘Redistributables’. So you’d imagine that this folder contains something related to the installation of the game right, such as the “SocialClub-Installer.exe”.

Turns out, the game will not launch if you delete the 100s of MBs of installation files located there…

gg.

Are those hundreds of GB in addition to what the game itself takes up?

If you really think the game doesn’t use those exe files why not replace them with teeny ones that are named the same? Yeah, it’s a stupid thing to have to do but if it works, you saved a lot of space?

I’m toying with the following games because of the never ending supply of $10 coupons. I’d prefer to get them on Steam because that is where my library is, but I won’t ignore saving money. There are also some games where achievements can add interesting goals to achieve, and I know Epic will get them, but Steam has them now. Also, I’m not crazy about the paid exclusives.

1. Control Season Pass: The game was so good and I have it on Epic so it’s a no brainer to get the season pass with the $10 coupon for $15.

2. Hades: Looks good and for $10 a great buy if it lives up to all the positive talk.

3. Before We Leave: Looks like an interesting builder type game. Not on sale, but for $10 post coupon a good price.

4. Surviving the Aftermath: Looks like it has promiss and for $6 post coupon it seems like a crazy good deal if it lives up to the potential. Any word if the price is going up once it hits 1.0?

5. Superlimal looks different and is $5 after the coupon. I should try the demo on Steam.

6. Griftlands looks promising too and would be $5 after the coupon. Klei has been hit or miss for me. I loved Invisible Inc, but didn’t like Oxygen Not Included or Don’t Starve.

Superlimal is basically a glorified Tech-demo. Some nice perspective gimmicks in there, but overall I got bored really quickly. If 2-3 hrs of playing around is worth 5 bucks to you, go for it. Just don’t expect a full game.

Surviving the Aftermath looks pretty cool and I almost bought it, but looks like it’s early access? Looks like it’s pretty far along though, I mean it’s playable and has a lot of features right?

Thanks for the info. I can wait or get it in some bundle. Looked different, but not a must buy.

I have bought both Hades and Surviving the Aftermath and I’m not happy. Those two are too good for playing them prior to 1.0. Both have some fundamental things coming (narrative-wise). It’s a bit like with Subnautica for me: Waiting was worth it. Well, buy them (of course!) but for a full playthrough… I won’t do it.

I also liked Invisible Inc, but not ONI or Don’t Starve (I also really liked Mask of the Ninja). I bought Griftlands and played it a bit. I like it, and I’m going to wait for it to be done before I really dig into it. You should probaby buy it, especially for 5 measly bucks :)

Heh. For years Steam had issues sometimes starting up, and you had to delete some cache files and let it rebuild it at start. But I’m talking of… the first 6 or 7 years of Steam. They eventually fixed it.

I’m glad to hear you like them. That is my feeling too. If I get them I may give 'em a try, but I’d wait to really dig in. I tend to stay away from early access.

I didn’t realize they made Mark of the Ninja, which I also liked a lot. Yeah, for $5 it seems like a no brainer.

I guess I should check Griftlands out and see what sort of game it is.

As far as the current Epic Store sale goes, I’m toying with the idea of getting Far Cry New Dawn for $6 after coupon, since I don’t know if it will ever go lower than that.

OTOH I usually buy that stuff on Uplay, since it’s going to fire that up in any case and I don’t relish having any game depend on two storefronts vs just one.

It’s based on the Surviving Mars engine so it benefitted from that head start I think.

I was not familiar with Griftlands but it’s by Klei, who did Don’t Starve, and I watched a short video of splatter cat playing it the other day and it seems pretty interesting. It’s a card based RPG sort of thing?

Before We Leave is a pretty decent builder / resource management game. It is pretty low key. I think a lot of time to do it last weekend but I have not gone back to it since…

I purchased surviving the aftermath I’m not playing it before it leaves EA what I’ve seen of it looks pretty good.

Is there any resistance to give the player some hurdles?

Part of the storyline is creating inter-planetary supply chains.

So you create a village, then a second one, then eventually you find a broken spaceship and your goal is to repair it. And then I believe you go to another planet and do it over again. Because not all planets have the same resources.

I know for a fact there are space whales. But to be honest I didn’t get that far and I’m not sure how much of a threat they pose. It’s unclear if there are other threats or if the game is mostly an exercise in balancing your production change.