Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Epic fully complies with GDPR.

Again I think Epic needs to be called out for this invasion of privacy and everyone is fully justified by saying “fuck you” and uninstalling it.

If as a side effect it starts the ball rolling on changing Valve’s spying on you then so much the better.

Here’s a fairly balanced video about the Snapshot fiasco. The last part of the video is most relevant.

This is Epic’s privacy policy. I don’t see where they can sneak in collecting information about your Steam friends or Steam game information.

Also, notice this:

Blockquote
Epic does not direct its websites, games, game engines, or applications to children (usually considered to be under the age of 13, depending on the country where you reside).

As opposed to Valve, which says anyone under 13 is not tracked. In other worse, they will track children if you’re from certain countries where they can do it.

It does seem like Epic now complies with GDPR. They didn’t use to.

I’d love to see this substantiated.

What do you mean? You think Steam isnt collecting telemetry on you? They are, just like all game services do*. One small example is literally linked above where some of it is stored on your hardrive.

Again I am not defending Valve or Epic. I want it changed because its a horrible invasion of privacy.

And mobile gaming is even worse fyi, much worse.

*actually I believe Itch & Gog both have ethical privacy policies. While small players I think they should be called out for being pro privacy.

There’s a fairly big difference between collecting data from your own app and spying on data collected by other apps. I don’t think we should be encouraging that kind of behavior.

There’s a lot of links in this thread. Maybe you could be a bit more specific than that?

In general Valve’s approach to this has been pretty good over time. E.g. the Steam Hardware Survey has always been explicitly opt-in.

It’s really very simple - I hate exclusives on an inferior platform. If they want to compete with Steam, fine. But do it with better features or better prices. I hate and resent exclusives.

The reset era link shows where Steam stores some of its local spying data on you.

I strongly disagree Steam has been pretty good. They have been terrible. It was a part of why I was and remain so against SteamSpy. Game customers should be equally horrified that their play data can be stolen by a 3rd party such as Steam spy. And thats just the scrapable data Valve casually leaves lying around. The additional data they track internally is much more detailed and robust.

I really hope that as part of this folks will start to ask what Steam and other games actually track about you when playing games. Its creepy af and absolutely not needed to sell games.

Epic has responded:

We use a tracking pixel (tracking.js) for our Support-A-Creator program so we can pay creators. We also track page statistics.

The launcher sends a hardware survey (CPU, GPU, and the like) at a regular interval as outlined in our privacy policy(see the “Information We Collect or Receive” section). You can find the code here.

The UDP traffic highlighted in this post is a launcher feature for communication with the Unreal Editor. The source of the underlying system is available on github.

The majority of the launcher UI is implemented using web technology that is being rendered by Chromium (which is open source). The root certificate and cookie access mentioned above is a result of normal web browser start up.

The launcher scans your active processes to prevent updating games that are currently running. This information is not sent to Epic.

We only import your Steam friends with your explicit permission. The launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file. However information from this file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends, and then only hashed ids of your friends are sent and no other information from the file.

Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney. We have lots of external shareholders, none of whom have access to customer data.

Daniel Vogel

VP of Engineering

Epic Games Inc.

Its all well and good. But how about tracking nothing and NOT scanning my machine at all. Its none of Epics goddamn business what games I play or install on my machine or how often or who with. Same goes for Valve. Just stop it.

I subscribed. I want very little info coming at me on YouTube but I really liked the way he presented information, without gimmicks and weird, read sometimes gross, shticks.

This is bullshit. I’m not saying it’s a lie, but the concept that they first preemptively copy (and hash) your files and then ask you if you’ll send them… I don’t know what to say. It’s the exactly wrong approach to implement this, and I don’t know why the heck they would do this. Maybe they’ll keep presenting the option to you until you agree… Why would they program things this way?

I hate it when people cry wolf like this. It just makes everyone numb to the outrage, making it easier for actual abuse of data to slip by. But I guess “Steam allows sorting the list of games by most recently played” doesn’t sound quite as dramatic as “Steam spies on you”.

My recollection of that discussion is that you objection was never from the point of view of the user. Instead you were annoyed that SteamSpy was effectively stealing data that belonged to the developer of the game.

I don’t know exactly what Valve collects outside of what they write in their privacy agreement, but there are good use-cases for tracking what I’m playing on their own service. I like seeing my Recent games, and their algorithms can offer games based on what I play and like. People complain about Steam being huge and not finding games, and those algorithms are a way to help with that. I don’t complain when Netflix or Amazon does the same. If anything, I’d like Valve to use more machine learning to point me towards games I’d really like.

Wow…

Well put. I agree.

This bit also offended me:

“We have lots of external shareholders, none of whom have access to customer data.”

They shouldnt be collecting our data anyway. And burying it in the TOS that I “agreed to” is bullshit as well. They just need to stop.

I don’t complain when Netflix or Amazon does the same.

Thats where we differ. I find Amazon really really creepy as well. Again if you want to sell me something then make the store easier to navigate or give me the ability to customize my search, I dont want anyone spying on my buying habits to show me things they think I like.

I just dont trust tech companies at all with my or my kids information.

If any other company wants to do something shady or just screw their backers, they should do it now; they might just fly under the radar for a little bit since Epic and Snapshot are keeping everyone busy. Hell we might even forget EA and Activision for a minute.

Or Steam. Notice, this information is all from Steam to begin with.

What are you talking about? They’re stealing your friend list and your Steam game usage info. That’s not ‘super private information’ as far as Steam is concerned.