Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

1. IMO there are relatively few games that would be worth playing that far back.
  2. Steam has said that if it goes out of business that there will be a way to download titles to back up your game database.
  3. There is always Bittorrent.

I would rather worry about someone stealing my personal information today than worry about what might happen to Steam 20 years from now.

It might have been a sincere thought at one time, but releasing every game available on Steam as a post-Steam download legally is pure fantasy.

I think games remain playable for longer than they used to because the generation leap isn’t so profound.
EDIT: Blurble, blurble, I can’t type tonight.

Wot Telefrog said:
“It might have been a sincere thought at one time, but releasing every game available on Steam as a post-Steam download legally is pure fantasy.”

There is always DRM Free!
hugs GOG

Epic Launcher hasn’t stolen any personal information unless you’re talking about a different service?

Wow, I’ve seen Impulse mentioned twice today after not hearing about it for eons.

Of all the clients/stores lost to us I miss Impulse the most. :-(

I’m going to pour one out at dinner in its memory.

If Epic goes out of business then they will burn all your games while drinking the blood of your children.

If Valve goes out of business they will magically convert all the games on their platform to DRM free , un hook every Steam API call and give you plenty of time to archive them forever.

Sadly all those invaluable Steam user reviews will be lost, like tears in the rain.

One way for Valve to respond to increasing competition would be to jump back onto their franchises. New Half-Life, Counterstrike and Team Fortress games would generate some Steam conversions for sure.

this forum needs a Like button

Artifact 2 or bust.

That’s likely the most realistic option since it doesn’t involve the numeral 3.

I kind of calculate that by the time the Store is a more mature, featured product, one year will have passed and their exclusives will appear on Steam, so it will be somehow funny, in a way.

It’s a canny business move, viewed in a certain way—exclusives to keep the money flowing in until they have some features to compete on.

For me the key features (deal breakers) are:

• Workshop
  • Controller support
  • Big Picture mode
  • User reviews
  • Frequent sales/discounting

I have my doubts that they’ll ever get that last one, given their main method is to rope developers into exclusives.

We’ll see. I bet they’ll have a pretty good sale around Thanksgiving. A lot of their early one year exclusives from 2019 will only have a few months of exclusivity left, and I think those developers will want to move some numbers with a decent sale.

As for my first purchase in their Store (Satisfactory) I’m already missing Steam’s detailed launch time feature. I have no idea when this game will be available today. If this were Steam, I’d know exactly when.

The Steam Workshop is wonderful, I have to say. Don’t get me wrong; I’m happy to use Nexus/whomever for my mods, but the ease of use is just fantastic.

Not having that and other niceties won’t stop me from getting the occasional game from Epic, but they just won’t compete without similar features and prices when they’re non-exclusives.

Is anyone else just hoovering up the free games?

I have subnautica and the current one on offer.

Haven’t played any of them yet.

I am looking at Hades though, that looks kinda fun…

I played Subnautica mostly to try it with my VR headset. Other then that I"m just hoarding the game, but I’m doing the same with Twitch.

Yep. The only one I’ve actually launched so far is Subnautica, but free is free.

You can get (and not play) the free games without installing the client, if anybody is interested.