Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

They’ve just passed on the cost through other methods, such as GaaS and DLC.

Also, income inequality has kept down the price of games, as most of the game-consuming public is extremely price sensitive. If games went to $80, piracy would skyrocket.

Looks like EPIC will be the sponsor for the PC gaming show at this years E3.

I’ve always thought that was something Valve/Steam should’ve done, but they just let PC Gamer take it.

And now they let Epic take it. Dumb Valve.

There are lots of ways Valve could have acted more like other platform holders to promote games and the platform. Their modus operandi has always been to do as little as possible, while collecting the same 30% as everyone else.

lol45

This is so true, which is why we have SteamVR, Proton, SteamWorks, Workshop, Steam streaming, etc…

Now to be fair, I think Valve didn’t do a whole ton to act as a publisher or a promoter, aside from working with publishers on sales and showcasing titles on the main page. I think they view themselves as a storefront rather than a platform holder / promoter like a Microsoft or Sony might be for the Xbox and PS4, respectively. From that angle, yes, I don’t think they did a lot. Given the nature of the PC platform, I don’t know if that’s a bad call.

Oh yes, it would be much better if the dominant platform was picking winners deliberately, I’m sure nothing would go wrong with that.

Yes, I’m sure other developers would be devastated if Valve spent hundreds of millions promoting the platform like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple and Google do.

About the same percentage of the thousands of developers would still complain about how special they are. It certainly doesn’t stop anyone on the Appstore or Play.

So what you’re saying is there’s no actual downside.

I thought this tweet chain offered an indie perspective on the benefits of exclusivity deals that I can completely get on board with.

Other than potential lawsuits with non-existing case-law, not much of a change, no.

I won’t go that far, but if no deals are broken I can pardon their beliefs :P most of them are probably like our resident Galaxy Outlaw, you can’t really get mad at him, can you? (just found out I wasn’t subscribed to the split thread, grumble)

It’s cute you think Valve promoting games on their platform is somehow legally actionable.

Even though I will not purchase the products from Epic, I perfectly understand that sentiment as well. They may very well be chasing fool’s gold but they are more than free to do so.

However, if a dev has made representations that their product will be available elsewhere (or in some cases contractual obligations) and then decide to reverse course and go exclusive, then they reap what they sew. At the very least that is untrustworthy behavior and in some cases could be considered fraud. I will play the world’s smallest violin when they come crying after customers bury their game with pirated copies and bad reviews.

It was cute thinking Apple having the only store on iOS was legally actionable. It was cute thinking you could sue Steam for a refund. It was cute thinking someone would legislate loot drops as gambling. It was cute thinking you could resell an (old type) Adobe license.
But not anymore.

If Mr. Brommel’s tweets above are responding to ReLogic they already clarified their thinking. ReLogic was purely speaking for themselves.

In semi-related news inXile posted a Fig update that Wasteland 3 will not be an exclusive product and will release on Steam and GOG at minimum.

“When I said doing that would make us sell-out shitburgers I didn’t mean to imply others doing the same would also be sell-out shitburgers! How could you even think that?!?!”

Sorry guys, but I bought my first game on EGS. Subnautica Below Zero was super cheap (6.25€)

What the what.

Also a free game every week during the sale.

Oh and its the final few hours for the FREE copy of World of Goo.

Some of the discounts are insane with that $10 off, up to 75% off games released only a month ago. D: