Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

So far I picked up Hades, John Wick Hex, and Ashen (for $35, not too bad), debating on Heavy Rain and Beyond two Souls…

BTW, Ashen actually plays pretty well with controller, I like it so far.

Ugh, I was all ready for that to be my first purchase on the Epic store, but I guess it was too good to be true.

Not checking with the studios first was a fundamental miscalculation on their part. It isn’t so much about the race to the bottom as that their potential customers may prefer Steam, and be disinclined to purchase the game on Steam for $60 when Epic is selling it for $50. And then just choose not to buy it in the launch window at all, instead waiting for discounts.

Supergiant had to raise the base price of the game to $25 (and remove the 15% sale discount), when it sold for $20 max before to get that $14.99 equilibrium. That’s going to create some weird optics.

Yeah, probably would have been better for Epic to say “Buy any game $14.99+ and we’ll add a $10 credit to your account” instead to avoid all of these weird optics.

Yes, it’s quite good if you are in the mood for that type of game:

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/operencia-zens-turn-based-hungarian-folklore-inspired-blobber

Yeah, wtf, I thought the prices on the store didn’t include the 10 bucks off.

Also, I was going to buy Hades, but now it is 15, it was 8 bucks earlier.

I think I will hold off on this until they figure out how to do a sale first. I am tempted by outward, but the steam sale is coming up at the end of June, and I am sure the prices then will be about the same.

Yeah, but Epic is covering the difference, so if you buy now the developers will make way more than waiting for the same price on Steam…

What is most interesting is the developer posted on twitter at 9:05 am saying the price might increase possibility in the future…

Then BOOM like 8 hours later, price goes up, lol.

https://twitter.com/SupergiantGames/status/1129055307169116160

That would have been far too sensible. :)

Apparently, Supergiant also announced that $24.99 is the new permanent non-sale price for the game. Not sure if they panicked or what here.

Maybe the mechanics of the sale were not that well articulated to partners. People are pissed at Supergiant right now, but I wonder if they woke up and discovered their early access game was suddenly selling for $7 setting a steep ‘historical low’ tracked by places like isthereanydeal.

Seems like it went back down to 19.99, 9.99 after the discount again. I was just looking at it.

Yeah I just saw that, so it changed again!

tumblr_l7ssqegF4n1qcb9v9o1_250

I guess one of the devs just posted this in their discord channel:

Earlier today, Hades became available at a significant discount as part of the Epic Mega Sale on the Epic Games store. We communicated poorly in the hours that followed, and want to clear things up.

The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99 , our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13.

After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game’s retail price to $24.99 . We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale – we didn’t provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.

I kinda feel bad for them. Today generated a lot of bad PR for them when sales normally should provide the opposite. I honestly think they didn’t know how to handle a blanket $10 discount across a store (which has a more dramatic effect on games sub $30).

This was a major screw up by Epic. Way to piss off your publishers, developers and customers in one fell swoop. C’mon guys, this was a rookie mistake.

ResetERA has a whole thread on the Hades comedy of errors.

In defense of Epic (fuck my life), sale kerfuffles happen all the time, and @Brad_Grenz is right - if none of the other points are concerns, this is better for devs.
On the other hand, for a store that claims to have been made for the sake of devs, lol.

/wakes Up

Oh,so for once my sudden capitalism was the right thing! ( I bought Hades before all this)

Hey I’m trying this Epic thing! Picked up Metro Exodus for under a tenner thanks to a long-forgotten $30 credit from back in the Unreal Engine days, and the $10 discount.

And it’s kind of obnoxious. I have to put my password in every time I run the launcher, and then wait an unexpectedly long time for an email from them with a 2-factor code.

I don’t see any options to ‘remember password’ or use real 2-factor. There is ‘remember this device’ but it doesn’t really seem to work.

*edit: found proper 2fa option on the website

I got both Oxygen Not Included and Hades before they went up. Again itss a price point thing.

If you move to Grenada, you can have it for 5 bucks.