Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Just in time for the release of a certain game? ;)

I can see Travis’ point. When you are only selling a handful of games, why bother having a cart.

Now they probably should have anticipated the need before having such a big sale.

what’s so hard about a shopping cart? it’s not rocket science and it also does not require some magic high tech software, it is trivial at this point of where software is today

Epic’s stumbles notwithstanding, I’m just glad they’ve made a single gesture towards actually trying to make customers want to shop at the store. More sales like this, less exclusives, please.

There are some practicalities to consider. Many banks and credit cards will flag accounts when a series of small one-time purchases happen at the same online vendor in a short time-frame.

(Edited for clarity).

Or this happens without a cart (Epic flagged a streamer’s account after he purchased five games in quick succession, but customer service was able to clear up the issue later):

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1129141438313312256

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1129028984015130624

=================================================================

Very much agreed. The first time they started competing on price and features and I will be happy to see more of this.

You wouldn’t be blocked from any online store for a declined card. There has to be more to that story.

Look, I know this is a cursed thread, but surely that doesn’t mean you have to imply I’m a shill just because you don’t agree with me.

It’s clear they are doing a massive site redesign, and it’s not like they can plug in something from SquareSpace. That functionality will be dependent on the redesign.

Their store team is both releasing incremental features while responding to fires and fixing stuff on a newly launched live service while redesigning in parallel. A 6 month timeline for a store redesign given all that does not feel long to me. I mean I haven’t released my project yet although from the outside it must look done.

For the tweets above that didn’t have to do with the guy’s card, Epic themselves flagged his account after he purchased 5 games in a row.

Later tweets indicated that customer service was able to clear up the issue and unblock his account after he submitted a ticket.

I suspect most of the critics here don’t have a career in enterprise software and thus lack a real-world understanding. “Surely it’s not hard!” is the mantra of the ignorant.

We’re lucky to have tbaldree posting here (not many studio execs, senior engineers, etc. can be bothered to post to an online forum), I hope he offers his cheerful disregard to your trolling.

Ahhh - got it. Thought you meant it was the bank’s anti-fraud system kicking in.

Sorry, I realize how I presented that information was not that clear, I should’ve been more specific above.

This is likely. Remember, people were ostensibly working on this thing for years, because it was originally an engine store for plugins and stuff. But it wasn’t a priority then and didn’t have their top people nor the same oversight. It would be entirely unsurprising if the existing code is a train wreck they need to rebuild.

What makes you think this? Where’s your source? This sentiment sounds like false, made-up drivel, and I doubt you can provide data that shows otherwise.

1. The engine store literally existed for years?

2. I worked there. Shill at someone else.

I still haven’t created an account there, but plan to. I thought I would for this sale, but it sounds like such a cluster, it doesn’t sound to be worth the effort. This is having the opposite effect on me.

Giving the sentiment it has been worked on for years is false information, you should know that, especially if you worked at Epic. For the non-developers, using the browser’s View Source yields information about the tech.

For those who don’t work in tech, here are reasons why the above is false: 1) They’re using new technology that hasn’t existed for very long (e.g. GraphQL and React are still new by web tech standards.) 2) Selling UE plugins is radically different from a storefront running on multiple platforms (web, client, mobile) against an enterprise platform infrastructure.

If you worked at Epic, shame on you for spreading false information against your previous employer.

Uh yeah no…

Uh yeah yes. If GraphQL and/or React had been around for a decade or longer, I’d accept the possibility of long-term development.But they haven’t. Although Javascript has been around for a long time, the expansion/explosion of various frameworks is new by W3C standards.

Where did he say it had been in development for a decade? He said it had been in development for years.

I was using React as part of freelancing gigs 4 years ago, and I was definitely not an early adopter. I knew code bases that I had worked at a year+ prior that had already been using it in production. It’s definitely not new technology by any measure of programming advances.

Furthermore if you knew anything about software development you’d understand that the front end is probably the smallest indication of how old a whole system is. The whole system consists not only of what the user sees but the backend systems running all the business logic behind the scenes, the databases, etc… An API is just an interface into a system, and APIs change all the time. You can change the API structure without having to rewrite a whole system so it’s not infeasible that the core of the system that runs the store is the same as it was literally years ago and they transitioned the API layer to a Graph QL layer.

Do you think that Facebook is new because they came out with a GraphQL interface too?

The sentiment that the EGStore was in development for years is false. Sure, if we consider a platform’s age based on the oldest component, then we can say all software systems are ancient based on a archaic BIOS component running on a mobo. ;)

React was stable around 2015 and went mainstream in 2016. If you were using it in 2014, you were pretty close to an early adopter (anyone in 2013 or less would qualify as an early adopter by Facebook’s definition.)

I’ve been working in software since the 1990s, so I suppose a definition or perspective of “new” can vary. I’m old and crusty, so new to me is anything in the last 5 years, but I accept that to some, new is probably less than a year.