Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Good plan, but you are missing one of the newer steps. As soon as you secure the Epic exclusivity deal, immediately turn around and bring your hat to Microsoft to hop on Game Pass.

Metro Exodus (not a KS I know) is on Game Pass for PC for $1 right now.
Phoenix Point will launch on both Xbox Game Pass and Game Pass for PC on release.

Is there a choice to just wait an extra year for a Steam key?

I don’t know for Shenmue III. Phoenix Point offered both refunds and the wait a year option (after a little pushback) but Snapshot was primarily an independent entity I think. Deep Silver may be making all the calls for the Shenmue project.

Edit: Looking a little it appears that Shenmue III will release on Steam in the future, but I don’t think backers have been promised Steam keys at this juncture.

I don’t know, but I can tell you two ways in which GoG is more complicated for them. One is curation, which is much more lenient than EGS will ever be, the second is that sending new versions to them is (was?) more of a pain.

Metro Exodus isn’t alone. There are actually quite a few Epic exclusives either already on the Microsoft Store or coming to the store in the future. “Exclusive” may have less to do with only being available through Epic’s launcher, and more to do with not being available on Steam, obviously Epic’s biggest competitor.

To be fair, being on the Microsoft Store is like saying they’re allowed to keep a spare copy in a desk drawer somewhere.

I dunno. We were one of the 14 people who had a Zune music subscription and look how that turned out.

Just a friendly reminder the Epic Discount expires shortly

Currently have a few temporarily cheap games under consideration:
Operencia: The Stolen Sun ($9.49 w/discount)
Hades ($9.99 with discount, early access)
John Wick Hex ($7.99 with discount, preorder)
Genesis Alpha One ($9.49 with discount)
Far Cry Primal: ApexEdition ($6.49 with discount)

Any thoughts on the above?

I really enjoyed Operencia. Great game.

Hades is well worth the sale price, although it was cheaper earlier, but $10 is good price, and it just got a fairly beefy update, added couple more enemy types and a god I believe. It will also raise the regular price to $25 after the sale end.

If we get Far Cry Primal, does it also get added to our Uplay accounts?

I’d love to know too since i’m temped by Anno 1800 for relatively cheap and would as soon play via Uplay since it was long ago forced on me for other things.
Diego

Thanks for the reminder. Picked up Operencia.

Under the requirements:
“High speed internet access and a valid UPlay account required to activate the game after installation”

OK, but does to make sure… does that mean it’s a Uplay key? Because Steam seems to also require Uplay, but you don’t get it on Uplay itself. Right?

It reads like it gives you a UPlay key to activate, but I honestly don’t know.

I just took a chance and bought Anno 1800. You do not get a Uplay key directly, but it does work.

When you try to install via Epic it offers to link to your Uplay account. Do that and then DO NOT install via Epic. Exit that and start Uplay instead and you should then see it there. Go ahead and install & play from Uplay.

Diego

That’s some weird voodoo, but glad it works.

From what I’ve read you could install from Epic, but then it launches Uplay when run anyways. And if the Epic install location is different than Uplay (which, surprise, it is), then it goes and reinstalls via Uplay anyhow.

Diego