Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Why? It’s free on Epic.

No reason then. I’m happy with the Humble Trove version though.

And I have paused my Humble Bundle once again, so I’m happy to get it free from Epic without any Moral questions.

Epic Store is getting kind of crowded. I have trouble nagivating the store already, just like Steam. And there is no new release list so I can just see what is new.

This is dumb. The games in the trove are DRM-free precisely so that people can play them without any limits even after a single month subscription. Humble is perfectly ok with this.

Yeah ahhh, the the humble bundle troves works kind of the same way to console subscription services like PS+ and their monthly free games. Once you download the game you can keep playing it forever even if your subscription ends. Zero moral quandary. It’s by design.

You lose access to your PS+ games if you end your subscription.

You are wrong, the whole point of offering drm-free games to their users is that they are theirs, at perpetuity. Literally the only way to play them is to download the installers to your hard disk and store them.

Weird. I could have swore I could still play a game I downloaded after my subscription ended. Maybe a glitch in the matrix. This was a long while ago on PS3 so maybe things have changed since then.

And yet, you pause your subscription, you can’t redownload it. So, obviously, there are some limitations to it.

And it being DRM should not mean anything. I mean, being DRM free means I could create a copy of the game and send it to friends and family, but that clearly isn’t the goal of the trove, is it?

Anyway, the language refers to both downloading and playing while subscribing.

The Humble Trove is a catalog of 60+ DRM-free games and Humble Originals. We add new titles every month as part of your Humble Monthly subscriber perks! They’re yours to download and play anytime as long as you’re subscribed to Humble Monthly.

Again, I would argue the rules stipulate that you get to enjoy the game while you are a member. That you can play these games without being a subscriber and that they don’t enforce the rules doesn’t mean the rules don’t exist.

Fixed the bold. The word ‘and’ means both elements go together ;)
And yeah, you can’t download and play them if you aren’t subscribed, because you won’t be able to download them anymore.

edit: just on the same link, a bit below

“They are yours to keep”.

Download and play. Which means both are limited. If they meant for you to play at any time, why not just say Download, and leave the play out of it altogether.

On the same page: ‘DRM-FREE DOWNLOAD AND KEEP FOREVER’

Yeah, so @TurinTur mentioned after I replied to him.

Anyway, as a currently paused person, I will just stick to the 100%, no strings attached version from epic, where my continued access isn’t reliant on paying 12 dollars a month.

If you own the game, why does it matter where the download is from?

Yes, Oddly enough. I have several games from Impulse downloaded on my machine. I own them, but since Impulse went under, and even Gamespot stop supporting it, I have to keep copies of the computer on my machine at all times. If I accidentally deleted them, the games are gone forever (I keep back up copies on One Drive just for this occasion). The same with the Humble Trove. If I delete them while paused, I won’t be able to access them again.

Oh, and since I am currently paused, I can’t actual get the games at all right now. So, technically not free to me.

I pre-ordered Rebel Galaxy Outlaw last night, and it already showed up on my credit card. This is unusual for me. I haven’t pre-ordered since many many years ago, so I’m not used to this procedure. Back then when I pre-ordered from Gamestop/EB or Amazon.com, they didn’t actually charge you until the item was ready to ship.

Has anyone ever pre-ordered on Steam? Does that work the same way, they take your money right away, not when the game comes out?

Works the same way, I get billed immediately.

It’s not a pre-order, it’s a pre-purchase. Steam works the same way. I think most digital games stores do, but I might be wrong. It’s not like with physical goods where they don’t charge you until it actually gets shipped.

Yep, you gave them an interest-free loan. This is why I don’t pre-purchase unless there’s some incentive to do so, usually a small discount or bonus content.