Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

As you should! :D

Don’t be too quick in patting yourself on the back; you forgot to include Sh1t Bonerz. ;-)

I might be the worst poll maker ever. D:

You’re probably bad at poles too!

I bought Far Cry Primal, Watch Dogs 2, and Journey during the sale. Haven’t picked up RGO yet, but I plan to this weekend.

Been collecting the free games, but haven’t played any of them. I already own most of them on Steam or GoG.

I bought RGO. I’ve had the launcher installed since Paragon, so I do grab some of the free games that pop up. I don’t think I’ve installed/run any of them though.

I’ve also not been boycotting the Epic store, I just think it’s kind of a crappy experience compared to what Steam gives me so I prefer not to shop there. Exclusives force the issue, but for the most part I just kind of forget those games exist (I don’t mean intentionally, I just mean as a byproduct of not using the store). RGO was an exception but there will probably be others.

No, but it was part of the sale and like 5 bucks so I pounced.

I picked up Far Cry Primal and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw so far. I played a lot of Subnautica out of the free entries. Great game. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is really great so far too. And Far Cry Primal that I picked up during the sale was definitely really unique so far, but I didn’t get very far yet.

Overall, I haven’t had any problems with the store yet. It’s been like GoG for me. I buy game, (or get it for free) and setup a desktop shortcut, and play the game. Nothing complicated.

I’m very tempted by Tetris Effect, but I’m holding off because I might want it on PS4 instead.

I picked up almost all of the free games and bought Observation, Genesis Alpha One, Outward and RG:O.

I think the store itself is terrible. Discovery is hard, the tiles on the store page tell me almost nothing about the game (to the degree that I find it difficult to tell if a game is even released), and I find the lack of forums or game hubs to be disappointing.

Interacting with what is there has been fine, (2FA has saved me any email shenanigans and the one refund I requested was handled smoothly), but where possible I start the game without starting the client.

I understand there is a generic API… but it was just created now. Game can’t implement it in a retro-active fashion, so of course it’s only supported by a few right now. I think they have implemented it first in a few games as a beta test system, to see how it works, before deploying it widely.

I think most people (who aren’t anti EGS) bought one or two games in their past Epic sale, the one with the special discount paid by Epic. Hades or the Subnautica expansion were super cheap.

Crap, if I’d known Subnautica’s expansion was on sale cheap I would have bought it.

My point was more that lately whenever I hear someone bragging about what a good deal they got, I can’t help feeling someone got screwed in order to make it happen. I’m becoming a pessimist.

So the only game store I currently buy games from is Steam. Barring Humble Bundles which I sometimes buy but usually always redeem on Steam.

Although over the years I have accumulated sizable libraries of games in all the stores I never bought from like GOG, Uplay, and Origins via various giveaways. Epic Games will share the same fate. I have no real intentions of ever buying games from there, but I will gladly take stuff that is as cheap as free.

If there is a glorious store front slaughter in the grimdark future armageddon of the apocalypse, my bet is on Steam making it out alive. #Impulse-fooled-me-once

As a side note, the games in other game store libraries I actually rarely basically never really play. It is more of a collectors habit. Those games exist in a 2nd class backlog behind my Steam library backlog. :)

So far I’ve bought:

Hades
Ashen
Operencia
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
John Wick Hex
Genesis Alpha One
Griftlands
Outer Wilds
Outward

I bought “Close To The Sun” for full price just because I was in the right mood, and I had just read an article that made it seem appealing to me.

I had no issue paying that price, as I thought it was reasonable. Thus I was a bit surprised when, several days later, I received an email stating that $10 had been refunded to my account because of a sale that had occurred after I had made my purchase. Which has never happened to me before, anywhere.

So it’s difficult for me to say I’ve had anything other than a positive experience at the EGS. Well, except that, as others have pointed out, it’s getting more and more maddeningly difficult to find what I’m looking for there, and so I’m avoiding the place for now, except for when they give away the free games.

Once they get their shit straightened out however, I don’t imagine I’ll be avoiding it any more than I already avoid Steam. (I have no negative experiences at either of those stores, and nothing bad to say about them. It’s just that my first choice will always be GOG. I mean, I still buy plenty of games elsewhere, but only because GOG doesn’t carry them.)

Amen.

I really wish I knew what the bug was that makes EGS “forget” who I am and what devices I’ve connected from. I’d say 2 out of 3 times I load it up, it doesn’t recognize my device, forces me to log back in, and re-enter a validation code sent to my email. It’s really annoying as it means I have to go dig up the login info in my password manager and wait for the verification email almost every time I load it.

That would drive me a bit bonkers. I hope they resolve it.

I think it’s related to connecting from multiple devices. They’re probably not tracking multiple tokens on a single account correctly.