Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Has this announcement been covered here? I’m not reading all fifty gazillion posts to check…

My husband and I both have high end PCs. We work at home at sit right next to each other. We also game together and quite often buy two copies of games with co-op so we can play them together. And as noted above, households with kids can also have the same scenario. I’m not sure why it’s so far fetched.

I’m afraid you got onioned

As others have chimed in, at one point I had 3 sons who all gamed with me (only one living at home with me now), and I constantly buy games on their behalf.

…i do know its a joke…

It’s very common to have one credit card to be used for multiple accounts. Why is this even a discussion point? This is 2019.

Yes. I know it might come as a suprise, but having kids is expensive for all kinds of reasons.

One of them being that if you want to play multiplayer with them as they grow up, you will be buying multiple copies of a game. I have 4-5 copies of the Borderlands, Minecraft, left 4 dead, Rocket League, Terraria, … A couple of FIFA copies to play online against my son, …

Don’t know why you think that would be very rare for families. If the parents game, that’s likely pretty much a must do. And I don’t have a different credit card to use per child.

That said, I do appreciate games we can play split screen on the Xbox for obvious reasons.

Damn, I forgot how wealthy the average Qt3er is.

My kids are still too young to game with, but after the mortgage, funding my retirement, putting money in my emergency fund, and paying student loans, it’s hard to imagine having enough money for multiple decent gamer computers or multiple consoles. Heck, my own recent gaming computer was a gift from my parents, otherwise I would still be running 10 year desktop (with a few pieces of updated hardware).

Between stagnate wages and giant student loans, it’s hard to imagine me getting to a placee that I few comfortable buying multiple machines, all for the same purpose.

Oh well, first world problems, as they say.

I’m right there with you. I’ve been feeling the pain of both of those the past several years.

That’s sort of what I am doing. Built my PC in August, 10 years ago, though have since replaced the mobo and CPU when they failed 5 years back and have upgraded the GPU. Not sure how much time I have left with the old rig.

FYI you can play many games multiplayer on LAN i.e. offline steam-wise using the steam goldberg emulator (on mobile so no link). Also, many games can then be turned to split screen using nucleuscoop, another program. So there’s no reason to have games on multiple accounts unless you want to play multiplayer with the rest of the world.

Many modern games don’t really give you a choice on this. It’s online with the world, and maybe solo is allowed, but you still need to be online.

I am sure I am not the only one who plays with couples online. They each have a computer, each have an account, and they’re online. Hell couples and their kids, three accounts, same household, one child… playing with other people.

This is not the super weird set-up anyone is trying to make it out to be, and it has nothing to do with with how rich or not rich someone is. It’s just three different machines playing online from the same house. Those machines can be old, and the game might be new and 60 dollars or a pack of four that was like 7.99 each; it might even be a free game. This is not a rich man vs poor man thing. It’s a it’s 2019 and you can use the same credit card on as many stores/accounts as you feel like it. It’s just a lazy storefront that thinks seeing the same card on a couple of accounts auto magically means fraud.

I don’t have money for multiple computers. My wife’s is 7 years old. Mine about 5. My daughter has a nine year old computer which is one of the oldest discarded ones. I upgraded mine too a NVidia 1060 at some point. Probably not worth doing on my wife’s. When we get the money, well upgrade hers.

I can’t afford new ones. But I can afford to buy more than one copy of a game once in a while. And they run on those computers.

2 of my kids are fortunately old enough that they can mostly take care of their entertainment budget now.

When you are given the choice, you’ll likely want to have fun with your kids too and appreciate the fact they want to play with you. Doesn’t last forever.

Yep. We’ve played that way with other couples. Great fun.

Didn’t mean to agree with any of the criticism of buying multiple copies – it’s completely valid. Just providing some info for those who may not have been aware.

Because it isn’t far fetched at all. The only reason we are even discussing this is because some people are trying really hard to deflect any and all criticism towards Epic for some reason, and countering some of the criticism requires spouting completely utter bullshit.

Nah, it’s not some people. It’s just me. Because, before all you started chiming in, I really thought it was far fetched. Excuse me for my ignorance on the subject.

I really thought it was a tiny a problem that only a tiny minority of people would actually have.
I thought it was just an anti fraud measure that was a bit overly zealous.

But hey, one man’s security is another man’s inconvenience.

Anyway, living in the 90s with 2 older brothers, one of the biggest benefits was not buying multiple games. We could share a single game, and get three times the value. I guess that is no longer the case.

It is fine that you were ignorant of it. It is less fine that a massive company like Epic would be.

Okay, yeah the old games you could do this with. Some of the newer ones seemed designed to kill it. I mean even when discussing intranet these devs talking about signing onto the internet and then… well it’s just not as common as it used to be.

What is totally common today though is multiple people from the same household, couples, marriages, roommates, kids, whatever, all signing into to play games not only with each other but also other people online. In shared financial situations, it would be easily expected that they might use the same credit card for all those accounts because… there is nothing weird, elitist or like extra special privileged about doing that. I know this was a throwaway comment, but again, it also doesn’t require super expensive new computers… old ones are just fine and because of the amount of games, 10 year old computers can certainly be used for new games today and share a credit card just like their shiny new brothers and sisters can.

Has anyone here had the family purchase problem, or are we basing this discussion on the tweet of a stranger?