Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Is it really so impossible to understand why many people do not particularly like the idea of getting many games they look forward to arbitrarily postponed by a year unless they use inferior platform (and support this practice by paying the money)? That people do not enjoy having their choices restricted?

Thank you.

[edit]

I am now trying to install Mutant Year Zero. I click the Install button, and get a prompt for administrator privileges. But then I get an error saying I have insufficient privileges to install into Program Files. Do I need to log out as a regular user and then log in under the admin account? I get error DP-06, but there is no info in the knowledge base for this error. Thanks.

No. There is no need to be an admin to run or install games. Something else has gone funny.

Have you somehow restricted access rights to the area you are trying to install the program to?

Maybe try the old reboot. Because that should definitely not be needed.

Edit: saying that, I belatedly realised that I tend to use my windows machine on my main account. The other one is only a Dev account I infrequently use. So I might have given you wrong information @YakAttack. My main account is the admin account on the machine and the one I install all software from. So maybe it’s required? Apologies for the confusion if what I said turns out to be wrong.

I rebooted with no improvement. Now I’m getting the “Sorry, you are visiting our service too frequent, please try again later” message again. I am now unable to troubleshoot the install issues.

:(

Ironically, that’s the reason too of why people defend EGS. Not because the store is good, but because the the amount of bashing is not proportional to the reality of it, that makes people defend them.

It seems like something that people love to hate, even if the impact on them is almost unnoticeable.

Which I don’t understand either.

We should start a thread about which way to butter toast. I am sure that would get a lot of traction.

or…

Or, you know, pays for companies to break promises, potentially outside the law, removing ports to the OS you actually run and probably other features EGS will support sometime after Star Citizen comes out.

But, you know, it’s just another launcher and I should stop whining. One that somehow no one can provide me with a Linux download link for, let alone semi-official support. Funny that.
But that’s fine, they’re going to make pc gaming great again, so it’s all worth it.

After reading all of this (why, I have no idea) I downloaded the Epic store app, because chances are I’m going to want to get Borderlands 3 when it comes out. I saw they had a free game, Mutant Highway Zero, so I “bought” it. That went smoothly enough, though I have neither downloaded or installed the game yet.

The store is a bit behind the times, no doubt about it. The UI and general layout is, at least to my taste, somewhat dated, and inefficient. The fact that I did not have to confirm my email address to sign up also was a bit disconcerting. Hell, even Russian developers of cut-throat PvP shooters like Battlestate Games make you input a code they send you every time Windows does a serious update.

But, the experience overall was…a storefront. No, angels did not descend and bear me away to fields of bliss, nor did devils pop up and drag me to the infernal regions. I’m not thrilled to have ye another storefront, and I’m a bit leery of actually spending money through this yet, but, eh, it’s not something I’m losing sleep over. I mean, I pretty much loathe most of the companies I do business with anyhow.

It’s worth giving it a try when you are in the mood for a turn based squad game. The world it takes place in is pretty cool. I believe it is adapted from an established RPG setting.

Having read this entire thread over the past 6 months, I can quite easily by now understand their position.
I can also quite easily understand your position.

What I don’t understand is how neither side seems to be able to comprehend (or grant any validity whatsoever to) the position of the opposing side.

Both sides have valid points. And those points need to be acknowledged by the opposing sides before any discussion on remaining points can be furthered. Otherwise, you’ll just endlessly go in circles.

But to me, as a relatively neutral observer, at this point it seems more akin to a religious argument (Steam vs. EGS), where no agreement is ever likely to be reached.

Additionally, since I do not want to encourage the practice of exclusives in the industry, I will not be buying any game that becomes exclusive on EGS, and it’d doubtful whether I’ll ever support a company that takes their deals. That turns it into a bigger deal for me. It’s my doing, but I think that it’s the only way I can send a message to the developers.

I think it will be interesting to see how many people will take your stance when the games eventually launch on Steam. No doubt there will be a lot of bitching on the forums but I’m really curious how many will stick to their guns and refrain from buying.

Borderlands 3 should be the first release if I’m not mistaken?

It helps that there are just SO many games, including in my backlog. I can easily forget about any particular game and go on with my life. The whole concept of being excited about a particular game so much doesn’t really make sense to me anymore.

I feel that Borderlands 3 will be the real test of people’s resolve. Everything else that’s actually launched as an EGS exclusive so far has been fairly indie or something that people didn’t seem all that jazzed about.

Well, there was outlaw.

I expect Borderlands 3 to sell really well, I don’t see why it wouldn’t. If it was a game I was itching for ever since Borderlands 2, I wouldn’t wait six months to play it. Life is too short for that.

That being said, it doesn’t mean those people don’t have a right to gripe about technical issues with the store, over-sensitive fraud protection stuff, or missing features from Steam.

Disliking EGS isn’t mutually exclusive with using it, but when “forced” to use it, it does amplify the bitching. I’m dealing with that now since I wanted to support Travis with RGO. I have a laptop and desktop that I game on, and every time I’ve switched machines the EGS forgets my device and I have to re-enter login information and wait for the verification email before I can start playing. And yes, I know you can start games without the launcher, but the patches have been fast and frequent with RGO and I need the cloud saves.

Is it a major issue? No, but it’s an issue I could easily be avoiding if I could just buy the game where I wanted. And because it keeps popping up, and because I’m “forced” to deal with it right now, it’s a constant irritation that gets me griping. I’m sure Borderlands 3 will kick off a bunch of complaints for other users similarly “forced” to use it once it launches.

Made and published by Double Damage. It’s squarely in the indie category.

Borderlands 3 has a lot of other baggage though. I don’t expect it will be significant, but there will be some people who pass on it due to the collective amount of negative stories that have come out. Maybe exclusivity was a detractor but not a dealbreaker, but then you drag in all the Pitchford antics and it’s enough to reach a tipping point.

Like Kevin, I still expect it to sell really well.

I view exclusives like I view protectionist tariffs. They are good if you goal is to start something, but not good if they last a while and are the only reason the business stays afloat.

Come back to me in 1 to 2 years.