Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

S!

This thread is hilarious. People need to take this energy into politics instead of buying PC games.

They are a publicly traded company, anyone can look at how they started raking money in hand-over-fist when Fortnite was released.

Or perhaps the opposite is true? Perhaps it’s better not to bring this energy into politics?

Wrong. Epic is privately held.

No, we need political reform (as an aside) and shooting your proverbial bolt over which store to buy your PC games from really is

So your position is that Fortnite Battle Royale was not a huge influx of money when compared to engine licensing, and Epic would have financed the Epic Store complete with subsidized exclusives anyway?

@KevinC: Mythical man month there. Throwing money at a problem doesn’t necessarily fix it faster.

You are correct, thank you for pointing that out. However, they still report their earnings, because becoming a self-made billionaire, skyrocketing the valuation of your company, and large conservation efforts that you have personally undertaken are all things Tim Sweeney likes to talk about.
Bloomberg articles have a nasty habit of throwing up paywalls randomly, let me know if I need to screenshot the relevant paragraphs.

My position is that I’m questioning how anyone outside of Epic Games can speak to UE’s financial information.

It’s weird that someone who’s tried to present themselves as an impartial third party who just really wants to see competition in the marketplace would have such intimate knowled-

Oh.

I didn’t say or imply I had insider knowledge, it’s widely reported in the media as Zalmoxis posted.

The monitor thing was either the craziest thing I’ve heard in at least the past 70 minutes or BS. I would have bet on BS.

To be fair. I think @Lunarstorm is basically right on the subject of what’s publicly known about Epic’s financials. They’re not a publicly traded company, so none of their books are open.

That said, I stick to what I wrote. There’s a clear dividing line on Epic’s business strategy that begins when Fortnite went nuclear.

As far as I can see, that article doesn’t have any quotes from Epic about their revenue. It’s just informed guesses by a third-party analyst.

That’s fine, money isn’t real.

Sorry, I don’t speak Darmok. Is that you admitting you were wrong about Epic doesn’t report their revenues publicly?

No, I was just trying to keep with the general timbre of this thread, and feigning interest one post longer than I could.
I mean, perhaps you made a point about the inscrutible Schrödinger-esque qualities of Epic’s financial affairs? Well done, I suppose.

Hah! Nice. You must work in software engineering as well; I only hear that term/book mentioned from those circles.

Yes, people that don’t work in the field think money can do anything, just double the number of people working on a project and it will finish in half the time.

I’m well aware of the mythical man month. If you have limited resources and only a couple developers, maybe you can only work on a shopping cart or cloud saves. It’s true that throwing at 10x developers at it isn’t going to get it done 10x faster. But if you have the resources, you can have a small team working on cloud saves while another team is working on, I don’t know, a shopping cart. Or designers coming up with standards to make store pages more useful.

I’m assuming Epic’s glacial slowness in rolling out improvements is due to lack of resource commitment to it, but I fully accept it may just be ineptitude and inability of their developers working on the store that more resources simply can’t fix.