Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

What does Tim’s support of the Ooblets announcement have to do with your statement around what someone does or doesn’t care about?

I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I’ve been keeping up with the thread out of curiousity. However, this might just be the biggest line of Bullshit I’ve seen in the entire thread. Also, it’s coming from someone who likes to call others out for how they “know” something, or asking for sources.

Why would they need to “work”? What work does Steam do? They’re just a distribution platform, you come to them with your game and hope they’ll publish it.

Epic is curating their store rather than accepting all comers, something Steam hasn’t done for many years now. It’s a different approach, and it does require human effort.

It shows that rather than trying to control and minimize controversy, he welcomes it. This isn’t “support” – this is trolling. That’s the attitude I see with regard to every acquisition of games that have been advertised on steam for ages. Epic loves the controversy, and they love grabbing up games close to release dates. They said they didn’t after Metro Exodus, and then they changed their mind.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, the fact that you read that tweet as ‘support’ is mind-boggling. It really provides a lot of insight into the company’s mentality.

They’re relying on other people, other stores, to put products on the shelves, to build the hype, to carry the wishlists they wont’ carry. Darq is a known game. It existed and was discussed prior to the Steam release announcement. They went after it only after the buzz was created by other entities. They wait for that work to happen and then tried to step in… he said no.

They’re refusing devs who won’t go exclusive with them, so it’s really not as simple as approaching Epic and saying here’s my game what you think about carrying it in your store. They refused to take games that might be listed on multiple storefronts, even the storefronts that were relied upon during the previous years to even help get the name out in the first place… something they’re not doing right now, that initial leg work or just even giving a place to do that build-up.

who is restricting anything? you can AMAZEBALLS have accounts on epic AND steam. Why is this so horrific a concept?

This isn’t 100% accurate, as not every game on the EGStore is exclusive.

Sure, and I don’t have an issue with that part. I do have an issue with someone shitting up a thread with absurd arguments, among those including claiming that the only reason to dislike Epic store is if you’re either racist or a Steam fanboy and acting like he’s just another consumer when he’s on the fucking payroll.

Yes. The Darq Dev was quite clear about that in the statement he released as was Epic’s official response backing up what he says happened. It is 100% true in this scenario.

I’m pointing out that not all EGStore titles are exclusive, thus the statement that Epic is refusing devs who refuse exclusivity is not always accurate.

Steam didn’t do any work in that scenario. The developer did, building up hype for his game, then Epic came in and decided it was worth sniping for themselves.

@LockerK: He put his employer in his profile, it was hardly hidden. Cut the guy a break.

Well it is still accurate; it actually happened, and we certainly don’t know about it because Epic was transparent do we? I have no reason to believe this is some sort of strange outlier of the great plan they say they have. No one is putting words into Epic’s mouth. This is their claim; their reasoning.

Steam exists. They have wishlists and discussions boards. That don’t autmagically happen. That is work they put in and are reaping now, what developers are reaping using but too many clearly put too little or no value in. The storefronts, wishlists, discussion boards that whole process is exposure they have access to, and it’s not there because no one worked for it.

For small indies the deal is exclusivity or bust.

The free giveaways are not exclusive typically.

Studios like CD Project Red have enough clout that Epic wants their games but are not in a position to demand exclusivity.

Edit: Adjusted for clarity.

Nobody’s being strongarmed, they just don’t want little-known games in their store unless they’re also exclusive. That’s their market strategy, and that is perfectly fine. My only concern would be that they also talk about games being in multiple stores out of the other side of their mouth.

Except we have someone here trying to say this is not their strategy now even after it is revealed it is.

Who? I must have missed it.

The one who wants to brush aside the fact that a dev was refused access to the store shelf after refusing exclusivity as if the dev himself didn’t actually point that out in the statement he released. There is no reason to believe that devs experience is unique or that they have an intention of changing their strategy.

OK, but who, though? I don’t know who you’re referring to. Not Lunarstorm, because all he said was the statement “wasn’t 100% accurate”.

You’ve basically constructed an impossible standard. They are wrong for going after games that look promising, but the alternative is what? To psychically divine where to find the next indie hit before it’s been shown or even made? And it’s not like a developer has wasted their effort raising the profile of their game if Epic asks to partner. All that work contributes to whatever offer they might get AND the future sales of the game.

Sure, it’s there now which I appreciate. It wasn’t before during some of the more… outlandish claims.