Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Uh, maybe go back and read the thread from the beginning. He’s like the OG of EGS defenders.

There’s been issues with stolen passwords and attempts to steal accounts. Remember those from a couple months ago.

My chief complaint about EGS is that loading the animated graphic on the “home” page chugs the launcher loading initially.

I wish I could just go to my library by default.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to; any articles or details would be much appreciated.

I’m following the argument. You’re going in circles. My point has been since the beginning that a difference doesn’t have to be universal to be a benefit. You keep restating the same thing over and over and avoiding my questions. A benefit being “narrow in scope” is not the same as being invalid.

Which popular internet service do you think has no attempts to steal accounts?

If your point is that there are too many logins for most people to manage and keep secure, and EGS contributing to that is a good argument against using it, then I guess we agree.

No. The point is that Alstein thought that “attempts at stealing accounts” was a security issue. It should be obvious that it’s a totally ridiculous idea, since “attempts” are not something that a company can control. Everybody gets attacked; what matters is what the company does about it.

AFAIK Epic hasn’t been the source of a credential leak, support authentication via third-party identity providers (which reduces exactly the profileration of accounts you’re complaining about), support multi-factor authentication, and actually even encouraged enabling 2FA by giving people in-game Fortnite rewards for it. They’re well above the baseline for internet services.

Definitely not perfect, but literally nobody is.

That’s really silly.

Sure. No dispute there.

In my eyes, “everyone isn’t good at this” is not an argument for something.

Edit: I think we can agree that human fallibility is the weak point of most online security plans. Going back to the beginning, if an EGS account is another point of possible failure in an already growing pile of attack vectors to most people, then asking them to add an EGS account on top of their Steam, GOG, etc, is asking them to increase their vulnerability.

Personally, I try to keep my accounts in check first by asking if I really need to start the account at all.

But it can’t really be an argument against either, or would need to use that argument against all services online.

I mean, if you want to boycott Epic, and Steam and GoG and U-Play and Origin and Netflix and Hulu and your bank, then I might take it seriously.

There are certainly systems that validate e-mails before they give someone an account. I know we like to pretend like EGS popped up in the 90s but they… didn’t.

Well, yes. Frankly, people have too many logins all over the place.

And don’t get dramatic. I didn’t mention a boycott at all.

Can I just repost this @jsnell?

Seems like we have come full circle again.

And nothing new has been covered.

EGS registration issues was they don’t confirm the email you sign up is yours. Security/password issues were revealed to be shared/reused passwords like those that crop up in HaveIBeenPwned dumps.

But again, Epic supports authentication via the major third-party identity providers, and you almost certainly have an account with one of them. Steam doesn’t have that support.

Edit: If this really were a critical concern (I don’t think it is), you should like Epic’s approach more.

That doesn’t matter for my argument. Adding an account (any account) to my already large set of accounts increases the chances that I, or someone else, will fuck up. Unfortunately for EGS, I already have a regularly used set of personal gaming logins, and nothing they’ve offered so far entices me to start another.

Fortnite accounts attract hackers like flies. Right now, they’re a hot commodity in hacker circles like Wow accounts used to be years ago.

Aren’t there some services that can help with that though?

But the point is that you do not need to add an account. You can log in with your existing credentials from e.g. Google, Facebook or Microsoft.

Fortnite accounts attract hackers like flies. Right now, they’re a hot commodity in hacker circles like Wow accounts used to be years ago.

No, all accounts on all services attract hackers. Steam accounts. Google accounts. Amazon accounts. Facebook accounts. All of them. This is exactly the same argument that Alstein made, but it did not become any more valid.

Oh cool. EGS works without a login or method of payment?