Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Steamspy guy Sergey Galyonkin is their director of publishing even…

^this. Precisely what I said when this first hit the news cycle. Makes no sense other than short-term gain.

Makes you wonder what his actual sales were like if he felt the need to go back to the EGS hate well a second time…

So what happened to giving the developers the benefit of the doubt? Does that only swing one way then; if they sell on EGS assume the best, but if they choose not to assume the worst?

I don’t know what you are trying to imply.

When the Ooblets dev released a statement that some people interpreted as hostile and/or demeaning, a specific group decided that was not the correct way to read that statement and implied the benefit of the doubt should be given to the dev’s intentions. Now we have another dev releasing a statement and the same group is not doing what was actually suggested before. I am wondering why that is.

In fact, I am waiting for someone to jump on Dave because he called that dev an ass which apparently is a huge no no… right?

What benefit of the doubt is the Darq dev due? What is the lighthearted interpretation of trying to use charity as leverage against Epic in public?

Well that’s your interpretation anyway. I guess you are entitled to it.

It’s exactly what happened, but feel free to pretend it didn’t.

The dev is not the reason he is in the position he is in.

But thank you, you answered my question indirectly just the same.

Maybe the dev just thinks it’s BS his game can only be on their store if it’s an exclusive? More power to him. Heck, I might buy it now just because the EGS defense force is so upset about it. :-)

Of course you will. That is the whole goal of the tweet.

Edit:. Misspelling because I don’t tweet.

I don’t think they share much in common. One was a blog post for the community that purchased the game or wanted to, and wanted to explain why going Epic was appropriate for them, while the other is a Twitter comment, meant for public consumption as a whole. He wants everyone to see the post.

I think everyone knows that if a game is on both Epic and on Steam, everyone should just buy it on Steam. It’s the better platform right now for the customer. It has achievement, cloud backup, and even a shopping basket.

All Epic has is better split of the revenue for the developer, less competition on the front page, a cheap gaming engine, and some upfront payments to the publisher/developer and a road map to how the store will look in a few months/years. Plus free games, and at least one really good sale so far. But generally, games on Steam are just a better deal for the customer right now.

So, why bother putting the game on Epic? Who does he think he is going to reach on Epic, that he hasn’t already reached on Steam? If the answer is no one, then his request sounds pretty disingenuous. It just seems like a way of 'scoring points, for ‘his side’. When the game is sold for the same price, no one will buy it on Epic and no money will be given to charity. It’s just a waste of time.

It’s great if he want to give some of his proceeds to charity, but he doesn’t need to be on the Epic Store to do that. He can just do it right off the bat from the money he makes off steam.

His goal is to sell his game? Yeah. What a twit. Never mind that it’s such a good game Epic wanted it in the first place. I would argue he would be a twit not to cash in on the free press.

An indie dev gives a multimillion corporation crap and he’s a bad guy. Got it.

It’s weird.

The general sentiment of this thread is that game development is extremely tough in this market, especially for small indies. So devs need to do anything they can to stay afloat such as taking the Epic moneyhat.

Yet this is a bridge too far apparently.

Got it.

In theory, that’s the point of the Humble Store, though. Some money would. And isn’t it just another launcher, anyway?
I’ll get back to my popcorn now, I don’t think it’s a big deal one way or the other.

Yeah, I almost posted that maybe we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt. It doesn’t seem so bad to take this crazy Epic attention and use it to make a point about exclusives, partly for his benefit and partly for charity.

And it’s not cool of Dave to call him an ass. As Lego pointed out, that blog post from Ooblets was a more in-depth and personal piece of writing. I thought it was sincere and witty so the “ass” remark rubbed me the wrong way. In this case, I don’t have nearly as much of a sense of this developer as a person. Either way, name-calling these game developers we should probably be rooting for isn’t a good look.

Anyway, I hope I’m wrong but I think Nesrie muted me after our Ooblets discussion which makes revisiting the subject rather difficult.

No, I don’t think he is a bad guy. I really don’t think anyone in this exchange was the ‘bad’, guy. But I do think this is a guy who got a boost for standing up to Tim Sweeney.

You yourself stated that making other people mad was a pretty good reason to support him, so on some level, his tweet (I am minding the spelling this time) has succeed.

Or maybe he ‘believes’ in what he’s doing?

Are you referring to the fact that he believes he made a great game, and believes it will sell, or that he believe selling the game on Epic and giving the money to charity is a good cause?

Its certainly possible. I just don’t understand why the guy would even want to sell his game on Epic in the first place.

You put out your game on Epic because Epic is willing to pay you up front. It takes out a lot of the risk. If you aren’t getting the upfront payment, it just seems like a lot of work for almost no gain.