Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Satisfactory, the latest from Coffee Stain (Goat Sim, Sanctum) is exclusive with “no Steam launch planned”

I dunno, they might have to ask for exclusives! :D

laughs :D

@tbaldree, I don’t really understand your rationale for going on the Epic store for your specific game. Those percentages aren’t going to make much of a difference. The space genre is experiencing a big resurgence, with people clamoring for a good first-person space game. Putting yourself where the eyeballs aren’t present just doesn’t make sense to me. It seems like you’re taking a moral stand, which is admirable, but also extremely risky. I hope it works out for you.

We’ll be fine. I’m reasonably risk averse, and obviously can’t talk about any details of publishing arrangements - but it’s not like we’re launching in a ground zero store with no users. It’s a potentially untapped market of players with only partial Steam overlap - and we’ll also release wider on PC in 12 months, and we don’t get all our sales in the first few months.
Add on consoles to that.
We’re fine.

Not really. You might as well go with itch.io at that point.

C’mon man… you can’t seriously believe that Steam storefront is more powerful than just the plain old Internet and YouTube. People will know where to get @tbaldree’s game

If I agree to use the term you like, OK, I just want to make sure you know that OK is not like or agree with. I don’t like it. I think it’s dumb, and I don’t agree with it. I understand the want to sell your stuff.

If you opened a coffee shop in some city and sold coffee and then you decided to sell to Wal-Mart, I would not expect you to abandon your want to continue to sell yourself at your store. If I didn’t like Wal-Mart though I might say to you, what the heck, why not Amazon. I don’t even like shopping at Wal-Mart, but I’m not going to ask you to stop selling in your store.

if someone from EA and Ubi were here, I’d tell them I hate Origin. I dislike Uplay. I only launch these when I want to update the couple of games i have there. I don’t shop them, most the games are out of sight and out of mind except a month at release, and every time I consider one of the games I ask myself if it’s worth using that application to get. Most the time the answer is no, it’s not worth it. I have 100 other games, should just buy one of those instead. … so when you say OK, you can see how not OK their current approach is, but I’m not going to ask them to stop selling their game in their store.

What a proposterous concern. Any computer that runs Epic’s store can, by definition, run Steam. That is completely different from a console. If you could play Spiderman on an Xbox by just installing a new App, why wouldn’t you?

As soon as the Epic launcher updated to include the store it instantly became what is probably the 3rd largest game store on PC, if you count the Windows 10 store. They have 10s of millions of users already, and you’re probably overestimating the number of Steam Narcissists out there who will refuse to buy from a new store.

The difference is also in that first party funds the game fully, right? Part of the annoyance with third party (and this is not just about indies, people hated MS moneyhatting Tomb Raider just as much) is that the store owner does not fund the development, they just pay to prevent the game appearing elsewhere.

You can generate steam keys, use humble widget, and sell the game on your website, taking 95% revenue while giving people steam keys, so that takes care of your patching and everything, can’t you?

I never understand why more devs don’t do this.

Same thing for discord, right? Except I don’t touch the discord store, and I don’t think many others do, either. Same thing for twitch prime.

That’s possible.

Because almost zero people go to a company’s website. And it’s an entirely separate avenue of support that has to be covered for almost no sales. Trust me, I’ve done it.

There are lots of us in the gaming industry on these boards. It’s one of my favorite aspects of this place. ;)

One critical difference with Discord vs Epic is that DIscord was not already primarially a platform for distributing a game. It’s the social platform used around gaming. It’s talking the problem from the diametrically opposed direction.

This just doesn’t feel like a meaningful distinction to me though. I fund all of my game too. It’s 100% self funded. Whether or not I personally built the store it goes on feels… not relevant?

I thought you said meaningful meant meaningful to us, to Paul, to me, not to you. it’s meaningful to us. Please forgive me Paul, for speaking a bit for you here while speaking for myself.

But why? Why do you care whether they made the store? Why is it different? I’m asking for the distinction and why it matters to you.

I mean the only reason you know it’s their store is because they put their name on it. Its development and support is independent of the game.

Like… “because they made the store, they deserve to put it on there because they are providing a service other people can use”, or “because they are so big and aloof I can’t hope to influence them but a 3rd party might listen to me” or… what?

Discord doesn’t really have any exclusives, do they? And their primary function is completely unrelated to installing and launching games. On Discord you live in your servers and could easily never look at the store. Twitch Prime doesn’t even sell games yet.

Most of the people criticizing the Epic store here seem to be Steam fanboyz that can’t see past their nose. They fail to see how something beneficial to a dev studio can possible benefit them, as it doesn’t expand their beloved Steam library.

Exclusives were part of their store launch announcement. They appear to all be timed exclusives, and honestly I don’t care enough about any of them to research how long that exclusivity lasts/lasted.