Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Dude, if you want to see the happy election of that Mayor as vindication for the system that I see go by every day, more power to you. It sure ain’t coming to me. In any case, I apologize for going off topic and will stop now.

This post is so 2017.

I don’t always pay attention to what is happening in Germany, unless it involves Panzers. Maybe I should.

True, but it also didn’t really affect the entire history of video games either.

Fallout 1 allowed you to minigun down children in 1997, despite it being illegal in Germany. They just had a different version for Germany without kids and some of the gore iirc.

Surviving Mars is free on the Epic Store this week. Next week, Observation and Alan Wake’s American Nightmare.

I was looking at the (free) DLC for Surviving Mars and notice you actually can’t look into the details of each one. I can’t click into the DLC, lol.

I had the same problem, so I went and looked it up on Steam.

Epic Game Store has a sale starting today!

Interesting sale, just not a lot that I want to play. I like what I have so far.

Good deal on Control if you’re interested in that. I am, but plan to jump in around fifteen bucks in 9 months.

Right now (I hope it changes) there is not much of a sale regarding their exclusives. I’m interested in Outer Wilds and Ashen.

Very unusual to find a sale on prerelease games on their exclusive site. That’s why their
“$10 off everything” sale was unusually great.

Anyway for Outer WildsWorlds, I got ten bucks off at GMG.

Outer Worlds? ; )

Yeah, that naming is a shame, ain’t it? Outer Wilds was awesome too.

I’m also curious about the pricing of games coming out on Steam that have come out first on Epic. Will they be full priced or available at a discount? I certainly don’t plan on paying full price (or close to it) if I have to wait 6 months to a year to buy it on Steam. And if they aren’t discounted, I plan on waiting longer - at that point, a lot of the release date excitement will be gone and it’s just another game on my backlog/wishlist, no matter how good it is.

I am guessing they could do GOTY editions to make the full price more acceptable when they do hit Steam.
Heck some games will be on the EGS a full year and not even leave early access by the time they will arrive on Steam.

It will depend on each developer. Some will lower the price, others will try to put the same as in release.

Also, you shouldn’t buy games for ‘the release date excitement’ in the first place, but just purely judge the game’s quality and its relation to the price.

It’s something that shocks me of the gaming community, how they have bought in whole hype machine of the industry. People cite hype and excitement as positive values.

This is not a coincidence. It’s one of the ways you get people to buy massive amounts of digital goods when they already have huge backlogs.

I don’t think anyone should dictate how or why someone spends their hard earned money. I understand the reasoning behind avoiding “hype” and making purchase decisions based on logic, but I disagree with this sentiment. Release-date excitement can combat boredom and routine monotony and is a worthwhile cause for celebration for some (e.g. game developers celebrating the release after investing years of work.)

I can admit that this is easy for me to say, given I work in the games industry, but even when a game comes out that I’m not professionally involved with, I don’t begrudge release date excitement and purchases around it.

No offense, but I don’t think it’s any of your business telling me what I should consider in deciding to buy a game a game or not. Sometimes, there are games that I want now, and don’t want to wait for, and it’s fun playing it while others play and sharing experiences and reactions. Others I’m more than willing to wait for a discounted price. That said, being excited about a game and buying it upon release doesn’t mean that I buy just anything out there regardless of any other considerations. One can (and I do) assess quality and price before buying a game - I’m not sure why you think being excited about a game means I don’t consider those points at the same time, duh.