Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Sadly, the digital world seems to be regressing in that area. I’ve noticed a lot of Google’s apps that used to be great have received makeovers that make them extra hard to navigate. Now certain things show up in menus and others don’t, because they only show up in other areas. It reminds me of Apple’s confusing design when one of my bosses wants me to figure how to do things on his iPhone. It’s all so confusing. You can’t forward this image because you selected it in this message, you had to first go back to a different menu and select images, and THEN select the image so that you can then get forwarding options. And instead of making fun of such atrocious UI design, Google seems to want to copy it.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I wonder how much of it comes from a desire for product differentiation vs. misinterpretations of some metric system; eg - “Oh, hey - they’re spending longer in the store per purchase, which means more games are being viewed and considered!” when it’s actually because it’s poorly organized and causing frustration.

Yeah, it seems that companies like Shopify exist to make it easy for people to put up a digital storefront. The fact that the Epic Games store is so crappy really is weird. Or maybe they just don’t have any money for development because they’re throwing all the buckets of cash at developers to get those exclusive deals.

Maybe they fixed it but I literally just brought the store up in my browser, clicked the halloween sale banner and then a bunch of games came up.It didn’t seem that difficult to me.

They did. Kudos for being responsive, at least.

The Eye of Sauron must have its gaze on this thread!

You’re not looking at the store. Click the Store link on the left.

The discussion was about getting to the sale items from the client. When I fired it up, I didn’t even know there was a sale. I had to notice the banner under the big Outer Wilds image, which led to an article and video, which I had to scan for the red “here” link. That’s dumb as Hell. Is it my fault their default Home screen hides the sale info?

When there’s a sale on in Steam or even Uplay, there’s no way to not know immediately on firing up those clients, and getting to the items on sale is a click away.

My Steam launches straight to the library. I would never know about a sale if I didn’t actively switch to the store.

Steam has a separate window, Steam News, that alerts you, easily, to new sales regardless of what default the main window has.

I only see it if the client has been restarted.

EDIT: And IIRC, I got a tray notification from the EGS about the Halloween sale when it started.

Yeah, I don’t usually see the Steam sells, because I usually only open the steam library.

But when I go to Epic I don’t even see games! /s

https://www.epic.com/

Some people will find anything to complain about.

I only get those notices once every two weeks when I rebooted my machine. I wish those would pop up more often.

I opened Steam, a Kalypso strategy sale is on today, click in scroll down, Sudden Strike 4 is a £5.09, 70% off. Done.

The driver on this decision funny enough is my internet nostalgia thread as i spotted the Sudden Strike demos in a ftp folder and remembered I enjoyed it at the time.

The percentage is how I buy wish list games. 66% onwards tends to to push me to a decision, as does anything near 5 quid. Some of my wishlist stuff i buy at 80%+. Throwaway-cost-of-a-coffee+cake prices means it can sit in my library perhaps never to be played but its always there if i fancy it. As I have more money than time I have to limit purchases somehow and this is it.

Epic can easily polish their store to within an inch of its life. They need more than “bleh” on a Halloween sale. It wasnt an awful experience, like trying to use a search engine on some of the UK high street shops websites, or find something on page 23 where you can only click next page after a minute of scrolling, but it didnt do anything other than illicit a shrug and exit. Things should be convenient, easy to find, easy to spot, easy to highlight or save. They seem to be throwing money at everything else.

Now that’s a company with buckets full of money hats.

Some Germans associate wanton killing (of any kind) in games with NAZIs. Using NAZI symbols/branding too kind of compounds that for them. Some people think it provides actual NAZIs or neo-NAZIs with cover behind which they can hide. But, who knows, maybe the culture has changed since 2017. (I doubt it.)

[edit]

I’m kind of fishing here, but it could be sort of like gerrymandering based on racial lines. It’s illegal according to the Supreme Court etc., but states are allowed to gerrymander based on economics or other reasons or whatever… and you just end up with the same exact thing.

Please return now to Epic Games Store discussion.

Qt3 sometimes feels like an enormous stone room with a small crowd of people who don’t see you in it.

lol, but why stone room?

Because we’re old and crusty.