Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

They still take way too goddamn long to send you a security code. At least they didn’t tell me that I took too long and the code was expired, this time.

the Epic Game Store refund process is a joke. It has been a week, I initiated their refund process for Phoenix Point with their form.

And then I get into a this loop via email…

1. They want me to verify my Epic account, which I already had already done when I created my account.
  2. They asked me the reason for refund.
  3. They then asked me which game I am refunding… Can’t they read the form they made me submit?
  4. And now… They are asking me for a screenshot! Of the receipt I bought when I got it from their store…

What a mess… It’s a week and 4-5 mails and from my end they look like a bunch of pure amateurs who do not have any customer records…

I am fully expecting their next mail to say “Sorry we are unable to reverse credits into your payment method, and so we will give you credits on our store.” Which basically is useless for me, because I’ll not buy another game from them for a very long time…

Used the store today and it’s fine. Blame your PC.

wow you’re so insightful. Do you do marketing?

Seems like perhaps something where poor connection to the store meant it didn’t fully load the page. Probably the CSS file or something.

Where I currently am unable to access their site at all at the moment.

Nope. I develop software for a living. Random blaming of connectivity glitches or PC issues on companies is inane.

Steam support took weeks to respond to me to deny my refund for Legends of Pegasus.

My refunds on Steam took some time. But all I needed was a single submission.

I don’t mind if software glitches out during a connectivity issue, but it should do so somewhat gracefully and recover afterwards.

Yeah. Having to wait a while for a refund to progress is one thing. But a multi step process that seems more likely to make you give up on the refund is not the way to go. Epic need to improve that.

I did SW development for 15+ years and managed for another 15. My PC is about as bland as they come, not too old and not very custom.

The app worked last week just fine. The update killed it. I blame the developers / Quality control.

The best part? The app is so broken, I can’t even use it to request support! How glorious! Talk about an epic fail.

A better refund process is coming with the CART update. I thought I saw it on their roadmap.

Theoretically I can say it will be out next decade and be correct. ;)

You’re not running a pi hole or some other ad blocking thing that might have blacklisted some of Epic’s servers, are you?

Naw, the app is a windows desktop app. No pi hole to obfuscate IPs.

I think Pi-hole is a sort of “intelligent” firewall so doesn’t matter if it’s browser based or not. You could also have a VPN running or even a hosts file?

Anyways most network-based desktop apps are becoming glorified browsers anyway with Electron etc.

This article just says update your drivers but I assume you’ve done that: https://epicgames.helpshift.com/a/epic-games-store-and-launcher/?lang=en&s=launcher-troubleshooting&f=the-launcher-fails-to-load-or-crashes-when-i-try-to-run-it&l=en

It looks like a corrupt cache issue so try renaming/deleting this folder:
C:\Users[your username]\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\webcache\Cache
and if that doesn’t work do it on the parent folder (this might log you out though)

Am I the only one that finds it drop-dead hilarious that “update your graphics drivers” is a thing for something as vanilla as a storefront?

I think the new Steam library has similar requirements. I hope they use it for graphs and videos and not just fancy shadows/animations.

You don’t know what you’re missing out on :)

I just uninstalled & reinstalled the launcher and it works again.

EDIT: Well, now the library says that none of my games are installed. Granted, I only have 2 installed, but the Install button is showing and if I click on it it asks for location. It can’t determine that it’s already installed?

I guess when you uninstall it, it forgets everything.

EDIT EDIT: Holy shit, it actually removed my games. I thought the launcher just forgot where they were, but the games are gone.

I don’t even know what to say. Sheer incompetence is an understatement. My upload speed is so pathetic (10mb). Oh well I haven’t played either game much in the past few months. They can stay uninstalled.

Just a warning for others!

Black Friday Sale

I haven’t watched it yet, but it looks like 75% off everything. Or up to that amount.

Sales is pretty good. Division 2 is $14.99 - very tempting. Red Dead R2 is $47.99