Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I figured a deal falling apart last minute was more likely given the level of incompetence required to just forget about it for weeks, but that was perhaps optimistic of me.

Do you know this or is it speculation?

Anyway, when somebody (and yes, Epic is not a person, but for the purposes of my annoyance that doesn’t matter) tells me they’re gonna give me something, then at the last moment goes, essentially, “psych!” and on top of that lets me know that hey no big they’re gonna let me pay for it instead in a little bit, I’m gonna be annoyed, and it’s going to make me trust them less. Especially when I advertised that free thing to friends of mine and we were looking forward to giving it a go. Exiles has had enough bad “press” that I wasn’t really willing to punt even $12 for it when it was in a Humble bundle last year (I think?), and more importantly neither were my friends, which automatically made it a non-starter for me (and Funcom doesn’t really have a great track record), but if it turned out to be actually an ok experience we might have bought some DLC, who knows. Now? They get nothing, I guess.

Everything said here is 100% speculation; I’m saddened by those who speak as if they know what happened when they do not. Having said that, the disappointment is completely understandable, I’m sorry for those who were looking forward to getting it for free.

It is pretty crazy that “we’re only giving you one free game, plus all the ones you’ve gotten already” is being interpreted as bad news. Human psychology is weird. And I think it shows that ultimately these free games are doing real damage to the industry.

Crack Vending Machine GIF Gfycat

I don’t think anyone has implied they know what happened, exactly. Even Derek’s post was about timing, not the cause or the circumstances. I framed my comment humorously precisely because it’s clear we’re just speculating. Also, I don’t think anyone is accusing Epic of bad faith, either. Things happen. But it is entirely appropriate to comment on how the news was delivered, from a customer perspective.

Perhaps. But the hard truth is, in a consumer-driven business, if you set up expectations, you have to live up to them, even if in you are not actually obligated to deliver. I agree totally that we are getting free stuff and personally I’m not at all bent out of shape about not getting yet another freebie. Looking at it dispassionately, though, as a matter of process, no, it’s not a good look for them to have it play out this way, regardless of why or who is at fault (if anyone).

I don’t care at all about Hue, though. I’m not even gonna claim it. So it doesn’t matter to me in the slightest. For me it was one free game, now none.

People are allowed to be disappointed. You are being way too dramatic about this.

They promised something - Then they failed to deliver on that. Its that simple. Its not the end of the world, but some people here were excited about the game, and are allowed to feel let down.

I agree the reaction here is fairly minor. I think you’ll find it amplified in other places on the Internet. I’m not really judging – just observing. It’s an interesting part of human nature.

Its the internet - All things are amplified somewhere if you look for it. That doesn’t really mean anything about neither “The industry” nor “The human psyche”.

We promised something then reneged at the last second and people are mad! Humans are so weird, smdh.

I’m really mad I didn’t get this free game I probably wouldn’t have played much (if at all) in the next two weeks!!

Yeah, the angst at: “I’m not getting a free game I wouldn’t spend money on” doesn’t resonate for me. Deal fell through. Didn’t cost me anything. Too bad. I’ve gotten so much free stuff from Epic already.

And it’s not like EGS games are my only source of entertainment or I don’t have slightly bigger things to worry about right now.

Pity. I’d have loved to try it with you all. Another time.

You’re framing it in a particular way.

This is another way of framing it.

I totally get the instinct to see it as the former – I feel it too. And humans are odd.

I already had Exiles on Steam (love it in bursts, then put it away for a bit only to come back a month later). I’m more intrigued/concerned/baffled by the wording of Epic’s statement. If it’s true it’s stupid and crappy PR. If it’s not (which I assume) its stupid a crappy PR. I just can’t think of a reason to say, ‘Whelp, we just decided to pull this free game we’ve been advertising for weeks and sell it to you later’ rather than some sort of softer PR-speak. Even if PR-speak is saying the same thing it couldn’t have come across more No Shits Given that what Epic did go with.

Yes yes, can’t gripe about not getting a free game, but unlike a lot of the giveaways I was actually looking forward to this one (as in, it was going to be installed… today… not 6months to infinity from now).

Maybe they should simply go back to “mystery box” mode so there are no expectations.

It is bad news, because a bunch of people were looking forward to trying this game specifically (for free).

Well, they always got ARK I suppose. ;)

I grabbed it but can’t convince anybody I know to even fire it up. Plus I just find its setting inherently less appealing.

Also no dongs.

Ark has an active following here, check the thread if you’re still interested. The giveaway didn’t seem to generate the same uptick of new player interest that Conan did though.