Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

100% speculation, but if it is true that server was acting up and not stable, maybe Epic didn’t want to be associated with that problem.

I don’t think that’s credible because of how they curate games. They’re not likely to curate a game with problems when there are so many games they could pick. It’s not Steam; so they don’t just throw stuff up there on a whim. That’s the really great thing about EGS. That most of the non-exclusive games - even the free ones - are ones that any gamer with a pulse probably already has, isn’t particularly relevant I don’t think.

Also, don’t forget that they’re just a storefront; so it’s not like they have liability if a game isn’t as expected. Regardless of what someone said to someone, only both parties in the know are aware of the real reason for something like this to happen. And if you know how the industry works, then it should be easy to pick one (deal, technical, timing) and speculate from there.

ps. Note that the game is currently for sale on Steam. So an EGS deal can only take one of two forms: free | sale. And I’m pretty certain that them selling it on Steam, likely violates the Steam terms which prohibit them from offering a game at a lower price than on Steam - or something like that.

I’m a zombie!

I must be as well.

You’re all zombies

ps: note the “probably” in my statement :)

Reading your posts, I get the feeling you get off on waiting for others.

I am no insider, but I could definitely see some sort of error coming up when the game moved from the Steam Server to an independent one. An issue that everyone thought would be resolved in a timely fashion, but turned out to be a harder computer problem then anyone realized.

In that sort of situation, I could see Epic not wanting to blaming anyone (after all, the problem occured when they left for Epic) because they want to salvage the relationship at a later date when it has been resolved.

It’s a lose lose situation. Epic could bad mouth the developer, but then the value of the free game would go down in everyone’s eyes. Or they could keep silent and be the bad guy, and hope that the game comes out later, salvaging their reputation.
Anyway, I know nothing of any of this.

“Thanks for demoing UE5 on PlayStation first. Here’s your fee.” :)

Good business all around.

Better Sony buy them than China at least.

How strange that Epic is willing to take investment from a company with a closed platform that takes a 30% fee from all software sales. Why, that’s basically blood money. I thought Tim Sweeney was supposed to be a man of principle.

take your upvote and go

I would point out 2 important factors.

1. consoles are usually usually subsidized at the start, so there is an argument to be made about higher compensation to Sony as the creator.

2). Sony sells console games on their store and since I don’t own a console, and find console controller ridiculous (and the lack of decent mod support or an open platform), I can honestly say ‘why should I care about anything that happens to them?’. I honestly don’t care at all.

You think this a gotcha moment, but really, it just reinforces my belief that console players are a bunch of suckers who took the easy way in life.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don’t value any of the actual exclusives that are on the console, and I don’t play the games that are ‘best’ on consoles.

Give me an old school RPG, RTS or FPS, where the Mouse and Keyboard are King.

“Perhaps.”

Oh, I know, very very unlikely, but you have to be open minded about these sorts of things, regardless of the evidence that supports your position.

After all, how many commonly held beliefs have been over turned in time? But, this is more likely closer to the Theory of Gravity then Psychoanalysis.

So 3 free games this week and a free dlc to a free to play game I won’t ever play. Noice!

Any chance this Sony/Epic pairing gets a Spiderman game on Pc? One can hope!

Probably not. We’ll see how the Horizon sales go.

Why has Death Stranding two entries in my library?