Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I just don’t need that many games these days.

Oh really? Hmmm. Honestly though, buying this would be nuts since I haven’t finished Origins and have barely scratched Odyssey. Plus my PC is dangerously close to “potato” territory (and it ain’t getting any less tuber-y anytime soon, because of COVID, fires in chip fabs, and !*#@&ing cryptocurrency miners.).

The other two factors could be grouped as ‘shit happens’, this one is particularly annoying because shitheads happened.

Other than Hitman 3, all of those games have been cheaper before, so without the coupon it’s underwhelming.

Valhalla is currently the same price on the Ubi store, except for 100 ubi points you can get an additional 20% off (edit: this might or might not work for people in the US? I don’t know).

I think ubi points work now on Valhalla, as the game has been out more than 90 days.

Yeah, use graphics cards for what they’re meant for instead of for some stupid libertardian/gold bug nonsense, what a concept!

Not according to isthereanydeal.com.

I use gg.deals these days, it handily factors sitewide discount shenanigans like coupons.
If you count that, you get a lot of cases like Rock8man mentioned where the prices are worse this time around. It also handily lists historical 2nd best and 3rd best which helps get non-$0 prices.

I use gg.deals, but even isthereanydeal shows that GMG had GTAV for $12.90 over the Christmas period and Werewolf was very slightly cheaper on Fanatical.

I didn’t count the second one and must have missed the first. Anyway it’s a perfectly fine sale.

Good tips on GG.deals, will switch.

Well, I would need two or three more coupon-sales to accept the store. I missed out on the first two sales and therefore my library isn’t very big. Although I bought games there I really wanted I will buy Far Cry Primal on Steam. If it was 4.99€ on EGS I’d buy it. But if the difference isn’t that much I will always go with the store and UI I am used to. Meaning: EGS needs to come up with the 10€ coupons again 🙃 and… yes, I see the coupon-free sales as a survey and my answer is: not yet.

Sure, some people will have missed them but they’re unlikely to burn money to that degree forever. My read is that for each $10 coupon Epic literally gave $10 to the developer, since they certainly didn’t get everybody on the entire store to agree to discount their products by an additional ten buckaroos.

If you got in on the previous sales with the coupons you spent money on the Epic store and having passed that hurdle once, are far more likely to do so again.

Yep. Also, imo the sale overall appears to be better than their other ones. Maybe not but seems thing overall deeper discounted and more on sale.

Edit: after reading rest of the thread I guess it’s just my perceptions. Shrug.

Thanks, parents of Fortnite kids, for subsidizing this

No surprises there, although it’s nice to get the actual figures.

I mean Epic is taking their shot, whatever else happens. Fortnite blew up and rather than just mint some money and retire a few years later, are trying to use it to become Valve 2.0.

Yeah this is totally fine – they’re making their strategic move. They should just stop generating ill will with exclusives – PC gamers don’t like exclusives with minor exceptions. Giving $10 or $5 vouchers is a far better use of their money. Their whole argument is that steam can’t be the only player and that we need a variety of options to buy from. Exclusives completely contradict that argument.

Yeah I’m sure the guy who compares losing money on a digital store front in order to compete with Valve to literal civil rights fights is not at all self-centered.

Just to be clear, you mean Tim Sweeney?

Rooting for Epic here is a bit like rooting for British Petroleum to take over for Exxon. The only goodwill Epic has is that of the joker standing on a car throwing money to the crowd.

Not at all. Read the name of the thread. That’s why Epic is good for the industry.