Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

It does. I bought the Far Cry 5 / New Dawn bundle for $10, and they both appeared in Ubisoft Connect immediately.

Agreed, and to add to this, by having a Steam account you also have access to every forum. I’m extremely grateful to leave behind the days of creating an account on every forum of every game I might want to ask a quick question about.

Honestly, you have answered your own question right there (partly) and @Bateau.

Having random people show up, asking ‘is this any good’ is part of what annoys me about Steam forums. I am sure it also makes Steam harder to moderate as well.

In addition, the search functionality completely sucks. Search is so much better on Qt3, then on Steam (as has been stated and shown). No matter what @Bateau claims about searching, it’s 100% better on discourse then on steam. I can’t even find simple discussion about a mod, even if I post the title of the mod which is in the name, without needing to sort through other threads.

There is the inability to upload files or images to steam forums, or link YouTube videos to automatically show (you have to leave the webpage and can’t play it inside).

In addition, multiple quoting is not possible, unlike here as well. I love that you can highlight and quote to reply to things.

Those are just the things off the top of my head.

I think there might not be a polling feature on Steam, and the hyperlink system is different.

Oh, and I don’t think it will do proper bullet points.

But a big part is just uploading images and the like.

As for the Webpage, for Dominions, I liked it for versioning, manuals being available, and having connections to the other games made by the developer. Being able to do that outside of steam or the steam app is a net plus. Especially since there are people in the world still trying to avoid using steam (I am not one of them, more then a few times, on the Dominions discord, there are people asking for non Steam versions of the game).

So in conclusion

1. A lack of key features, like bullet points.
  2. Polls
  3. Images
  4. Multiple quotes with ease
  1. Random people dropping in
  2. Youtube running
  1. Search

Oh and the ability to throw in a poll

What are polls
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

2021-06-09T04:00:00Z

I think in Steam you can reply and you can post links, but outside of that, nothing. I’m almost sure you can’t @ people, like @Bateau

I am not spending time on the Steam forums, it’s a place to find out about bugs or what the devs are doing, so I don’t care about any of that stuff. They work fine what is needed from them. Yes the content level is often low, but usually if there is a bug, there is a post. Plus a lot of devs are active there. Even when game publishers have their own forums, the content is always bad, Steam is no better or worse. (Have you been to Paradox’s forum for example?)

On your mod search, did you try quotations around the title? Does that not work on Steam?

Fair enough but I’d say two things. First you don’t address my point that without Steam forums I’d have to create an account on every forum I want to ask questions on. The result will be I just won’t, and my question will go unanswered. This is a huge point for me. Secondly, that kind of thread is absolutely not unique to Steam forums, not by a long shot.

Anyway, I can’t say your other points aren’t valid, of course they are. Steam forums aren’t perfect, no forum software is really. For me though, they are a very good balance of features vs serving virtually my entire gaming library. If I really have to have the rich features some forums have, well, that’s why I always maintain one account on a general forum - which obviously is QT3 at the moment.

What features does Steam even have? It’s as bare-bones as you can get.

As for questions, if the question is very important, then you would create an account, and maybe even be part of the community, instead of just drive-by posting.

Honestly, for Dominions, Shrapnel seemed to have a far better forum system than Steam, although it didn’t have anything else going for it.

It looks like the search will only search each of the individual subforums you are in, instead of searching the whole forum for the game on Steam.

So, the quoting still came back with individual posts, but now at least one of those posts is in the Mod thread I was looking for.

It doesn’t look like I can search by author or time period though.

Well, they are better than Epic’s.

Are the steam forums mobile-friendly? That’s what I really love most about Discourse, the mobile experience is top-notch.

I don’t really find Steam to be that mobile friendly.

Speaking of which, I have this odd problem. Say I post something on mobile, and I want to put it in block quote, or add a hyperlink to it. The minute I do that, Android asks if I want to copy/cut/whatever to it, completely blocking out the thread options. Is there any good away around that?

So far, the best I can do is just stab that block quote button in between the split second it takes the copy/cut/whatever function to come up.

Lack of infinite scrolling!

Switch to iPhone? :-P

Also when I search for something on Steam I can click the thread title to be taken to the top of the thread or the post content to be taken to that specific post. That’s something I wish Discourse could do.

I really want to, but you know what they say, if you need that one feature, and the phone doesn’t have it, it doesn’t really exist for you.

For me, its Fortnite. Without it, I just can’t make the switch. /s.

Actually, for me it is the Amazon App store. I have a fair number of Apps I got for free when it first came out, I use a few of them still, every day.

I think I see the problem some are having with searching Steam forums.

You’re not using Google’s search.

^_^

Sadly the answer to everything. Reddit, arguably one of the biggest forums, has terrible internal search

I’ve been thinking along those lines while reading this discussion. I almost never use a forum’s search function, I just use Google and it’s done a better job than any forum search I’ve tried.

Discourse’s search is pretty good. I haven’t had to resort to Google since the switch.

Discourse is fucking great. From its text editing, to how embedding is done to the search. I love it dearly.

I agree, it’s even better when it has likes turned on!