Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I was there for the free Daemon X Machina - the giveaways are working, it only took a couple years and now I’ve actually bought a couple things on the store so I guess my mind has accepted their presence in the digital marketplace. And I guess their exclusives strategy is working since I think all my money purchases are Epic exclusives…(Hades, Griftlands, Beast Breakers, Hitman 3, Slipways) I think in my head I would nowadays buy wherever it is cheapest, but I think cheaper is still Steam if you’re willing to wait.

Looks like you need to be subscribed to their newsletter for the coupon this time.

If you subscribed to their newsletter (e.g. you needed to sign up to get the $10 coupon during the last sale) already it’ll eventually appear under your coupons (I saw it by the time I was done identifying bikes to claim the weekly game).
Although Capchas are a bit tacky to have in your store - I guess I do understand they go under heavy load and … free games - Daemon X machina is still pretty expensive on sale (I’ve been considering it for a while since PC release) so no complaints about that!

They stopped giving me Captchas when I switched off my VPN. Worth it!

I’m subscribed to their newsletter but no coupon, shrug.

Interested that the MS/ATVI deal is somehow anti-competitive but the EGS exclusives are not?

Anyway, I think the coupons are an awesome way to get consumers on their platform, and the correct way to bring users in. I know that I made my first purchase on the EGS because of a coupon. That is the “correct” way to pull in users.

Not that I agree, but my take has always been “What price do I need to pay to get access to the game”
With Console Exclusives, it would mean buying particular hardware to run them.
WIth Epic or Steam Exclusives, it would mean downloading a particular piece of software to run them.

So, the question is, if MS owns Activision-Blizzard, would does that do to my bottom line?
Well, not much, since I don’t own a console, and the games that were going to be released on consoles exclusively are still only going to be released on some sort of console exclusively. Except, now those games might come to PC, which is nice.

They had these once before. You can go into the setting, click the checkbox to sub to all of the newsletter/email garbage, and a coupon will activate in your account within 60 seconds. Once it shows up, go back into settings and click the same checkbox to turn OFF all newsletter/email garbage. The coupon is not removed even if you unsubscribe from everything.

Ahh it’s subscribe to Epic “emails”, not just their newsletter. Picked up Ruined King.

Only one coupon though, you don’t get another one after using it.

Just a few of the great deals with coupon:

• Expeditions : Rome is only $34.99, that’s a historic low.
  • Baldur’s Gate : Dark Alliance becomes $19.99.
  • Conan : Exiles is $5.99
  • Undungeon is $5.99
  • Against the Storm is $6.99
  • World War Z : Aftermath is $15.99
  • Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous is $29.99
  • Kingdoms of Amalur : Rereckoning FATE Edition is $11.99
  • Encased is $9.79
  • Banners of Ruin is $5.99
  • Hand of Merlin is $4.99
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 are $19.99 each
  • Disco Elysium is $5.99
  • Borderlands 3 is $4.99
  • Death Stranding is $10.99

In which case, Microsoft is in 3rd place in hardware ownership. Not very typical of a monopoly.

Put a fork in it. It’s done.

It’s a hell of a lot more profitable than straight up selling games at a loss.

I get why they need to exclusives and giveaways to get people on that platform, but making the platform itself better will make it stickier, which might help them maybe make money. Someday. Maybe.

I may be anomalous (in more ways than one) but I don’t give a crap about any of those features. I only care about who has the lowest price while not selling stolen or fraudulently obtained goods.

If Epic or (god forbid) even Steam went out of business, I could trivially pirate all the games I bought. I don’t do that because buying them is easier and I can afford it.

I do like forums and user reviews. Wishlists, whatever, that’s what gg.deals is for.

Lots of the Steam features are nice (reviews, mod workshop, cloud saves…), but you know, they aren’t deal breakers for me. There are many other places where you can check opinions of games before buying it (and I dislike the binary thumbs up/down style of aggregation). More game companies would offer their own forums if Steam wouldn’t have them, or subreddits would be more populated. The mod workshop is good, but I don’t use mods THAT often as to be a deal breaker. Rarely I need to use cloud saves.

I ignore achievements.
I have never used Steam Input.
I don’t use Steam big screen (although I understand it will be a ‘deal breaker’ for the ones who use it).
I actively dislike all the gamification (account level, steam points, badges, cards, etc).

Interesting…I only checked one game Partisans 1941 Extended Edition, but the Epic sale price is $19.99 down to $9.99 with the coupon. The Steam sale price is $15.72. Still cheaper on Epic, but if someone rather have it on Steam the price difference isn’t as much as I thought it would be.

Looks like others have the same sale price.

Also, Beast Breaker isn’t on sale, but you can use the $10 coupon to bring the price to $5. People seem to really like it so seems like a great deal.

If it’s worth $5.73 to you to click one launcher rather than the other, that’s your preference. I will say that while this one game is only six bucks, repeatedly making that same choice could end up costing real money.

It is amusing to me to see EGS remain so flat.

They have 194 million users…
and on average, user spends 1.55 dollar per year.

In 2020, they had 160 million users…and on average, user spent 1.65 dollar per year.

It would be sad if it wasn’t hilarious. But that’s what you get when you train people to pick up free games and the only way you get people to buy anything is by straight up bribing them.

Hey, let’s encourage them. As long as Epic wants to subsidize my free game habit with their Fortnite riches, I’m happy to continue leeching.

Yep, all those little kids stealing their mom’s credit card to buy skins are paying for my free games!