Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Who wants this crap except greedy executives?

OK I take it back: If NFTs are used to track player ownership of games so they belong to you on every single store, I’m in. That’s what you’re going to use them for, right game companies?.. right?

shakes fist at clouds

Hunt Showdown is crying in the corner because it’s a good fucking game, but NFT’s are all that matters. FFS.

The only thing that clip did was make me miss Outlaws.

Sweeney said months ago that NFT games were welcome on the EGS so this isn’t really surprising. He also said last month that they are allies with Meta in creating the metaverse, didn’t he? Apple bad, Facebook good.

So,

This looks like a worse PUBG?

BUT BLOCKCHAIN

GriFt

Wait a minute. Plot twist!

not a word about NFT anywhere, huh?

Apparently they have had it listed on Steam as Coming Soon for awhile now, and not a NFT based game. I imagine now it will get removed from Steam.

Also, those who attended the Gala event got a rare, exclusive, NFT of a horse. Which appears to be an asset flip purchased from the Unreal Engine marketplace. Price on market is 30 bucks, price on NFT marketplace is anywhere from 400-1700.

They are self publishing as well? It’s not like they were pressured into adding NFTs then, they bought into it themselves.

It will be removed in partnership with Valve.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/news/the-epic-games-store-ratings-and-polls-update

Hmm… on the one hand, I think this may be smart. On the other, I hate these things on apps.

I just got 3 copies of an email about “Parental Permission for an Epic Games Account”:

Dear Parent,

Your child (aged 13) has an Epic Games account, which is used to play Fortnite, Rocket League or Fall Guys, or to use other services available from Epic Games companies. We have become aware of your child’s age, and we have temporarily restricted access. Because of their age, we need your permission before we can restore the account and allow it access to our games and services. Your child has provided us with your email address to ask for your permission.

Click on the link below to provide your permission and restore your child’s account:

CONTINUE (link removed)

This link will be active for 30 days from the date of your child’s initial request on 06-24-2022. If you do not give permission by 07-24-2022, the link will expire and Epic Games will delete your email address and remove all personal information from your child’s account.

If you do not want to receive any further requests for parental permission from us, click here.

Thank you,
The Epic Games Team

It seems legit, it’s from [email protected] and the links were back to epicgames.com, but I don’t have any children (or anyone else) using my Epic account.

Is this just something harmless I can ignore, like when a stranger requests a password reset to my instagram account and I just ignore the emails because I’m not the one requesting that? Did some parent set up an account for their kid and use my email as a contact email even though they don’t actually have an Epic account with that email address (because obviously I have the account with that email)?

Edit: Reading comprehension failure on my part, I skimmed right over where it says “Your child has provided us with your email address to ask for your permission.” So maybe that explains it. Seems weird overall though. Like a kid can just put any email address in there? How would Epic know if they were reaching the parent? They obviously didn’t get the right person in this case.

I would ignore it.

Speaking of weird emails sent to the wrong people, I remember getting one from some “Tractor Supply Company” in Idaho telling “me” that some gear oil or something was in and that they could come pick it up, or maybe it was a receipt for their purchase of the thing.

Thereafter of course I kept getting marketing emails from said company.

I still regularly get email to one of the dozens of email accounts I created to sign up for the Warhammer Online beta like 15 years ago. Whoever that person is, he recently flew from Tampa to Montreal.

I used to get text messages on my cell phone, like, every day, sometimes more than once a day, from some automated well-monitoring system in a town down the road. Messages notifying me of low water levels and what not. I finally tracked down the company and called them, and got them to change their contact info. I just hope whomever was really worried about that well got the messages eventually.