Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

You’re quite a well wisher.

Epic game store newb here.

I asked a bit of this in the Mechwarrior 5 topic. I primarily use Steam, but I have a base game copy of MW5 on Epic from my MWO days. I’m considering loading mods and getting the dlc to then play co-op maybe even with VR. Should I add to my Epic purchase or start on Steam? Is either store better in this case? I’ve like workshop on Steam in other games.

Also is there a wishlist on Epic or a good/safe place to buy cd keys for it? I’m basically between buying it all on Steam in summer sale versus looking at just dlc but full price on Epic.

EGS free games this week and next week:

Killing Floor 2 will be the first free game I won’t pick up. It’s been so long, I can’t even remember the reason I hated the first game so much. Whatever the reason, the hate is still strong in this one.

Having had to re-install windows after my SSD drive died, I am aghast at the deficienies in the epic game store app.

You can’t locate already installed games? I have a 2 tb games drive that I had games installed on. There is no way for it to locate already installed games. This is a cinch on steam, even the origin app allows this.

The xbox app also sucks in this regard. Excited to re-download the 120 gb that is MS flight sim again… for no reason other than “copy protection”

Uggh.

I’ve moved and redone games easily with Epic. It does take an extra step over Steam but isn’t terrible. Make sure the files aren’t where you want them, start the download, cancel download at 3% or more, then move all files to the directory it created and it won’t redownload, only verify. On an SSD with the files already on it the process was almost instant for me.

I attempted that, it didn’t seem to work, and I gave up.

The fact that they don’t have a feature to locate game installs is just bad. Their workaround is not great and fiddly.

This week’s free game sounds pretty neat. I’ve never played a winemaking game before, or even heard of one before.

I played the demo of it, and it had a lot of interesting stuff going on. It felt like it needed a little more polish in the progression (or maybe I just was bad at winemaking), but it was a prerelease demo, so hopefully they made improvements there. I’ll definitely be digging in again.

I have no interest in the subject whatsoever but I grabbed it cuz that’s just how I roll!

Has the whole exclusive thing died down? Seems like it’s been awhile since anything I wanted was an Epic exclusive.

Ooblets just launched as an EGS exclusive last week, so no, it hasn’t.

That’s been in exclusive early access for quite a while, though, so I’m not sure it’s indicative of new exclusives being signed.

Why does the Epic Store launcher run like total complete ass? I think this is a fair question.

A full featured, well functioning product would take money off the money hats, leaving them lopsided?

(/s)

The explanation someone had upthread sounded plausible to me, which is that it’s an unreal engine app. Unreal engine was designed to make games, not a games store, which is why it’s slow and unweildy.

I just noticed that one of the freebies on the Epic Store this week is a game called The Captain, which appears to be a kind of Starfleet sim/adventure game? Which totally looks up my alley, and I’m a little surprised I’ve never heard of it before today. Anyone played it?

Heh, my constant reminder that Epic made 3 Billion IN PROFIT the year when Fortnite took hold. They have more cash to spend that the United States.

I stumbled across it at some point and have had it on my Steam wishlist for a bit. Glad to see it as a freebie! I’ll definitely check it out. Probably worth asking @BrianRubin if he’s tried it…

The Captain was hilarious. I seriously enjoyed my time with it.