Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I’d like to see someone actually detail these dark patterns to judge for myself but yes, if it’s really like the complaint, they’re not on the side of the angels here, preying on children.

This is entirely different than your standard predatory monetization, like Diablo Immortal and gachas. That’s evil, but it’s pretty common. This is tricking people into paying accidentally, not addicting them and incentivizing payment. Horse is a different color.

Hmm, trying to start the Epic Games app on my machine, and it shows up in the System Tray but alas, no app. Had to disable it from the Task Manager.

Anyone else seeing this on Windows 10?

It “took” the second time, looks like.

Just be sure that by clicking that icon you’re not, I dunno, buying seventeen copies of something!

Cross-posted from the Fortnite thread as this one is more active…

My kid’s been playing Fortnite on Switch for a year, with cosmetics and shit. I never linked that profile to an Epic account.

I am setting him up on a Xbox Series X. There is no way to retroactively link that switch profile to an Epic games account, is there? ie to carry over all the (my) damn Switch purchases so they are available on the new platform.

Today I was downloading a big game from the EGS when I noticed an issue. It was going very slow, I imagine it’s something puntual so that wasn’t the issue, I wanted to try to download a second game to see if there was a difference, when I noticed I couldn’t, it was “on queue”. Even if I paused the download of the first game, it was not possible to download a second game, or change the orders in the queue.

They are a struggling company, and their server cannot handle the strain you’re putting on it.

This is exactly why they’ve de-listed all those Unreal games as well. Super-expensive to keep those games up.

;-)

Uh, so today I have the same issue. This is happening on my new computer, where I still hadn’t tried to download anything from their launcher.

I’m with a wired connection, of course. I have 300MB fiber line. It works fine in Steam or speedtest.net.
I tried disabled the windows firewall, i tried changing the DNS, I tried rebooting the router (and computer), I only have a ssd on this computer so it can’t be that, I tried a pair of workarounds I read on internet, like activating the throttling of the app to a high value or putting some lines in a .ini file (both fixes here)
[Fixed] Epic Games Download Slow

and nothing has solved the issue. I’m at a loss.

It is caused by Epic Launcher being trash. I know, helpful info.

Ugh, just ugh. It seems it’s the ISP throttling connections to some CDN?

I discovered other stuff like EA app, gog, MS downloads from the web work fine but… Xbox also has the same issue, very slow downloads, around the same range of 2mbps. Not only that, when I resumed the download in the Xbox app, it ‘stole’ that little bandwith to the Epic app.

Oh no! That sucks.

Well, I guess that doesn’t really support the argument that the Epic Launcher is trash.

There are 100 other reasons, but yeah, in this case it wasn’t Epic’s fault! Good job Epic Defense Force!

We aren’t Very Big. Or Vocal. Or Obnoxious.
Or even Exist.

We are the EDF. Where ever there is a hint of Monopoly, we come together to argue that maybe having more options isn’t a bad thing, whether it’s on your PC, or (Coming soon) on your iPhone! We come to give you one more option to use or (ignore at your convenience).

Feel free to not use Epic Games and not be obnoxious to those of us who choose to do so.

Glad to see that will be put to good use going forward! :D

I’m still playing Hitman 3 that I have it on EGS, which is making me notice lots of issues.
-Cloud saves are still wonky, the app ask me about what to do with them, if upload the last version or download from the cloud, EVERY time I start the game.
-i just noticed the ‘time played’ is wrong. It said 10h 25 minutes, but it said that 3 play sessions ago. I checked it expressly now by playing 20 minutes more, and yeah it’s ‘stuck’.

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. I’ve had this issue since Day 1 of cloud saves on Epic. Once in a blue moon I get a cloud save issue on Steam, but it’s really rare.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/news/epic-games-store-2022-year-in-review

Most of the third party spend is from Genshin Impact no doubt.

Publishers and developers brought 626 new PC titles to the store in 2022.

So the amount of games added to the store went up by 40%, but third party spend (most of which is Genshin) went up by 18%, and overall spend incl. Epic games went down by 2%.

Well, that went about as well as expected.

The free game on Epic this week is Call of the Sea, which is a really nice little adventure game. Unless you just have to have combat or you’re totally allergic to puzzles, I think it’s worth a look.

I appreciate the transparency at least.

Genshin is also available outside of the Epic Store, in fact it has been available that way since the start, so I doubt all the growth is attributable to it.

But yes, overall and together 2021 numbers, it can’t be said they are growing at the expected rate.