Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Every night I play a little bit of Subnautica, so every night I kind of thank Epic Games store. I’ve played free games before, briefly, but this is the first time that I’m playing a free game that I am so thoroughly enjoying. This is just the best possible giveaway. It buys a lot of goodwill from me as a consumer.

To be clear, when I first saw the giveaway, I was thinking “cool, I’ve been meaning to check that out anyway, one day”, but man, this is the kind of game where I’m putting the rest of my backlog and other active games on hold for. So just in terms of the mindspace I’m in, just thinking about Epic Games Store, and being thankful every night, it kind of adds up over time.

Another exclusive.

So many gaming exclusives helping me save money (since I don’t have to purchase them now). :D

Keep it up publishers, my backlog thanks you!

More importantly, it’s only $50 on Epic’s store.

On the Steam page currently. Steam thinks it’s ‘unfair.’

Warning: This title uses 3rd-party DRM (Denuvo Anti-tamper)

Notice: Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.

There’s nothing unfair about a ten dollar discount. I don’t give a rat’s ass where the bits go on my hard drive in 2019.

It is unfair tbh. I wanted to buy it on Steam next month when I get a new card but looks like I won’t be buying it at all now.

Does anyone have a calculator on hand? How much is 88% of 0€?

Only suckers pre-order at full price anyway. I can’t tell you the last time I paid full asking price on a store’s game. Even AC Odyssey was nabbed on discount through the Ubi store’s Uplay point offer.

It’s great to see the competition hotting up. I wonder what sort of numbers all these exclusives are pulling in. Hopefully Epic will capitalize on it with a strong dev cycle and new features.

I still have Gamer’s Club Unlocked via Best Buy so I actually buy the physical box if I can since that’s 20% off. I don’t watch all these key sites for discounts though like you do.

Either way, for people who are paying full price, it’s a better deal.

…and the thing that cracks me up is all the posts here from people who played Anthem over the weekend… which is exclusive too… to Origin.

This is the world we live in. Just get the best price and be happy. Competition is better than the alternative.

Thanks to those of you who have been sending me friend requests on Epic Store. I had no idea that feature was even in there. I’ve recognized your names from the Steam and Xbox friends lists, so I’ve been saying yes.

Competition via exclusives is not good for consumers.

It is when it’s $10 cheaper! Thanks Deep Silver! Put the game wherever you please if you’re going to make it less expensive for me/us.

You get the difference though, right? From what I can tell, most people are buying EA made or published games on Origin, which is owned by EA. No one really gripes about that any longer, and very few people are buying 3rd-party games on Origin. Just like very few buy 3rd-party games from Ubi. Here, a 3rd-party game is being pulled from Steam and being made exclusive on Epic’s store. And that’s after presale orders were taken!

Here’s the thing, I think people are buying games wherever they feel like buying them and it’s only gamers on gamer boards that are losing their shit over any of this. You and others say, “People are not buying 3rd party games from Ubi or EA!” but you do not know that. You have no data. The games are available there and it’s very likely that sales are fine on those platforms, else those games wouldn’t be there for sale.

Because all the platforms are interoperable when it comes to the online part of these games, and because apparently everyone uses Discord to chat instead of any of the in-game stuff (as I was informed this weekend when I just figured we’d use what was in Anthem and was laughed at for even thinking that), no one really knows where anyone is buying their games or playing them from, unless they actually speak with that person to confirm it.

All this moaning is a non-event. I fought hard against Steam when it first existed because I saw the coming of digital-only purchasing as a bad thing. No more trade-in value. You’re at the whims of the publishers. Broken shipped games that get patched more often…

In hindsight, a lot of that is true, but also the benefits of any platform are the patching happens without worry, even if it is more frequent. This is just another place to own games. People here have stuff on Origin, Good Old Games, Steam, Ubi and probably a handful more. I really think the only reason that anyone is really complaining is because they hate the success for Fortnite because “IT’S NOT FOR ME!” they scream in the night.

Get over yourselves.

To quote Durante from resetera

No, if everything “works out” for them, then soon you’ll have to buy the game for $60 on Epic’s store.

Because if moving there is no longer a shoot-yourself-in-the-foot move, you can bet those “passed on savings” cease.

And then you buy the game for $60 instead of $40-45 and you’ll like it!

Jeez, you’d think somebody shit in @DaveLong’s cereal this morning. Did I miss some heartbreaking Nintendo news somewhere?

Well, definitely for US - Europeans get no such discount.

I love the Metro games, but fuuuuuuuuck that.

So, just noticed a weird thing with Epic store - I checked prices for Metro and Division 2 on a whim and they were super low. Took me a while to notice that for some reason it detected me as living in Brazil. So I went to settings and corrected and the prices properly updated to eurobucks. But what happens if I switch back to Brazil and buy the games at half the price? This shouldn’t even be possible in the first place.