Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I’m just trying to keep up and prove that I’m not tone deaf to the rage people feel. I wouldn’t want to undersell it.

All right, glad we all agree that Steam also has exclusives! :)

I will add one more thing. The month of January hasn’t finished and this is already the second big game they moneyhat, the previous one was Division 2. Be prepared for more.

Not what I said. I said they moved the keys there and there were conversations about it. You just apparently missed all those conversations. You don’t have to buy those keys from Steam and there is no deal that says they can’t release other versions of the game.

Hmm? I never said there weren’t conversations. I asked where the conversations were when a couple franchises became Steam exclusives. Some people helpfully told me where those conversations were. So I guess we agree those were Steam exclusives! :)

If you type one more smiley face I’m going to call the police.

The face gets stuck that way when the arm is in a permanent back patting position like that.

Steam has exclusive the same way Windows has exclusives. They’re kinda not, but good luck porting away from system X or Y.

Epic, given time, will also build it’s own tech floor from which games can be built from, and not just these payed for exclusives, true you need to recode this to get it to work ones…

Steam Punks?

Not sure how many people listened to that, but something jumped out at me - when he said “will be only quality, curated titles”.

I take that to mean that Epic will be choosy on who can put games on their store? Has anyone heard anything like this? I take this to mean a lot of small indy shovelware won’t make it there.

Anyone else here something like that for the Epic store?

For now, it’s exactly what it means. The fact that they will curate games is someth8ng they mentioned at the beginning.

My favourite thing about that video was finding out you can pay for things on the Epic Games Store using Subway gift cards.

Which then led the the discovery that I can buy stuff on the World of Warships site using Subway gift cards.

This is a revelation.

This has been an interesting thread to follow.

For me, my tolerance for multiple platforms is at about 3. I have this same tolerance for video services (Netflix, Amazon, HBO) and if it isn’t on those services, it just doesn’t really exist to me.

I’m even more strict on the PC. I have hundreds of games on steam, and the platform has been reliable and effective. I had about 30 games on Impulse that are now lost to cyberspace.

I will really, really, really need to want a game to get it on another platform. Therefore I have two games on Origin and two games on GOG.

For this Epic Games Store, I just won’t buy games on it. They will be invisible to me.

I don’t say this as some sort of threat. It could be a great platform and I will just be missing out. I do think that developers are missing the forest for the trees. The ‘build it and they will come’ model isn’t the most stable and predictable approach.

I understand your reasoning but what of the possibility of a “killer app” that would get you to switch?
That one game that you really want to try. Everyone is raving about how great it is. Your friends are all playing it, your usual discussion boards are lit up with praise.

So you cave in and buy just one game.
… and well, you’ve already got the damn thing installed now and there is that other lesser game on there that also looked pretty cool.

I think this is a likely scenario for many people. For some it will be the exclusives that Epic are currently buying up.

Let’s say Europa Universalis 5 is on Epic. I will download and buy that game. But I am not going to boot up Epic Launcher and browse their store to shop. As a consumer, it doesn’t appeal to me when my whole entire library is on another platform.

I bought Battlefield 1 on Origins. I don’t go poking around at their other offerings.

Again, I recognize this might come across as being stubborn… But for where I am at in my life, I only have so much tolerance for tracking another application in my brain.

Steam is nice. I boot it up and my stuff is there with all the platform features. I don’t have to think about which platform has my game, or updating my CC info or if my friends are there.

Everyone has a different tolerance. Like with streaming media… I’ve read folks here who are fine juggling subscriptions to see everything. That doesn’t work for me

It’s not really stubborn nor do I think it’s uncommon. I don’t “shop” Origin, Uplay, or GOG. I launch them only when a game is on them I want to play which there might be … 1 a year.

I shop Steam. Exclusives may or may not, get something launch but that doesn’t make it a store.

Looking back, remember when Valve changed how their % of profits is taken from games that sell more than X? People complained it only was an advantage for big games, indies wouldn’t have a reduced %.

At that moment I thought it was Valve reacting to publishers using more and more their exclusive stores (ie. Bethesda released its games on their launcher only, Ubisoft doing possibly the same in the future…) but now I think it’s much more possible that they had private info of what Epic was preparing on the months before their announcement, it was a play directed at them.

That’s an interesting question. A killer app would be enough to make me buy a game console, but not switch PC stores. In my case, I’ve had the Epic Launcher for years already because I played Paragon and Fortnite (the PVE version, a year or two before the Battle Royale thing existed).

I don’t think I’m looking for a killer app because I already have it installed. What I need is a reason to change habits on where I go to shop for PC games. Right now Steam has years of momentum Epic will need overcome. Their shopping experience will need to be better, either in terms of features, ease of use, or pricing. Likely some combination of the above.

When I checked out the Epic store a little while ago, I couldn’t found out anything about the games from the store page. It looks nice, but there was no info. I was looking at Ashen and wanted to know about the game. I wanted to know if there was multiplayer or coop, stuff like that. Epic store gave me none of this information. Thankfully, I was about to get all that from a glance at the Steam page. That’s a problem.

After that, I need features. Steam Workshop is a godsend for a guy who loves mods. I can easily see if a game supports it, I can browse and discover the mods, and I can install them AND keep them all up to date with ONE click. I also get news/updates for not just the game but all the mod authors in one place.

Right now Epic doesn’t offer me these things. Paying a developer to keep it off Steam is basically just holding it hostage from me. It’s just a game so it’s not a huge deal, but it doesn’t make me want to shop there. If there’s a game I REALLY want I’ll bite the bullet and pick it up, but it’s not going to be my go to shop too browse and buy stuff until they offer a better experience to Steam. Maybe they get there, but they’re a long way away from it right now.

So you guys, Genesis Alpha One is out today, and it’s really, really good.