Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I thought that was totally obvious at the time? The delay from Valve reducing the cut to the announcement of the Epic store wasn’t months, it was three days.

I thought it was a few weeks, I didn’t make the connection at the time.

While I’m not as strict as you I recently hit my tolerance this year.

For a long time I openly celebrated and supported Steam competitors and purchased widely across platforms. My GOG library rivals Steam, I embraced Uplay and Origin before most PC gamers did and I actively used the Windows store due to Xbox cross platform support. Among other clients like Battle.net.

Then recently I just hit a wall. Even before the Epic hijinks I started focusing my gaming and deleted the useless Bethesda and Epic clients from my machine. The overwhelming nature of my bursting at the seams backlog was a huge factor. I have so many unplayed but celebrated games on Steam and GOG alone it is mind numbing. I NEED to spend time with those.

I don’t need to keep adding clients for more games, as amazing as they are. So my personal concern with the Epic store is that it is competing with my corpulent backlog.

Well, duh, yeah, of course. Epic is cherrypicking. Do you really think Epic is going to list thousands of games like Steam does? There’s no way Steam could work “individually” with thousands of developers, they just don’t have the manpower.

I’m glad I wasn’t drinking my tea when I read this :)

Much better!

You are missing my point. Nobody cares about the thousand indie devs in Steam (certainly Valve doesn’t and Epic doesn’t seem to either).

If Epic can manage the manpower to cherrypick, say the 50 most profitable games each year, that hurts Valve’s profits hard. They will have to start dealing individually with the bigger/successful devs, something they seem to be failing at.

Awww man. I love the explore part obvs but but it seems a shooter at heart yeah?

I think at this early stage its moneyhats rather than manpower. Which may or may not be sustainable.

Also, I’ve yet to have a game appear exclusively on one of Epic, Origin, Windows Store, whathaveyou, that I felt the “must have” urge for, so there’s that, too. I mean, I own some games on those platforms, but I’ve never actually installed and played 99% of them so haven’t needed the clients. Well, until the Anthem demo this last weekend. I’m probably an outlier though :)

It’s both! You land on planets to find stuff and resources!

Hmm cheers!

So…Mass Effect?

So I get to have sex with the aliens? Interest rising.

Looks like it releases in January 2020, I have no problem waiting. :-)

No, Starflight!

Whoa whao, all kidding around are you for real? If so I am in.

Kinda sorta. I guess if you imagine the rover stuff in Starflight as a first-person shooter, it’s like that. Kinda Deep Rock Galacticey.

hmm Cheers.

Also @BloodyBattleBrain was making a joke and I was trying to show him why it was a poor joke because every similar space game doesn’t come from Mass Effect, but from Starflight, and that he should get off my god damned lawn like the amateur he is. ;)